Bills' O-Line depth is remarkable

9 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Hey 716  

I agree with you that Allen is incredibly slippery back there and a bull to bring down when they finally do get to him, but I'd respectfully disagree with the rest of your position.  

Carson Wentz has been sacked 32 times this year.  Joe Burrow has been sacked 28 times. Daniel Jones 23, Watson and Minshew 22 each.  Sacks are just one metric of O-Line play, and Josh took a boatload today, but I think today's sack total has to be put into context.

The Seahawks were bringing 6 or 7 defenders every down.  Jamal Adams basically spent the entire second half of the game lined up as a third DE and all he did was rush the QB.  The Bills didn't even pretend that they were going to run the football.  The O-Line played great today despite the sacks given up and with four out of the five lineman either playing out of position or as backups.  Allen threw the ball 38 times today, and not counting Allen scrambles, we only ran the ball 11 times all game.  I think the only designed run for Allen was the sweep around the right end for the TD.

I don't think that Bates, Nsekhe, and Boettger would have any difficulty finding a starting gig on one of the other 31 teams in the League.  Quality O-Linemen are always at a premium, especially in week 9 of a season.  

Seattle pinned their ears back the whole game, and Allen still had time on many plays.  The fact that 7 guys had 20+ yard receptions shows that.    I think the whole room works well together. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

It was incredible to watch the Bills' O-Line continue to play at a high level when three starters went down today with injuries.  All of our backup linemen would walk into starting roles on other teams. Morse went down last week and Feliciano stepped in seamlessly to man the pivot.   At various points in the game today Ford, Winters, and Williams all left the game and in came Bates, Nsekhe, and Boettger and the O-Line never missed a beat.  In the last two weeks we have replaced everyone on the O-Line except Dawkins and there was no noticeable dip in performance.  How many teams in the NFL could replace four starting offensive lineman without getting smoked? The Bills went from having arguably the worst O-Line in football two seasons ago to having the deepest line in the League.  Kudos to the brain trust at OBD for turning a glaring weakness into a team strength. 

I have to look more carefully but I think there was a dip.  But, it has to be sorted out carefully because it's also clear that the SeaSnakes got desperate and started to just bring the house on every snap. 

I agree, though, that the Bills have built quality depth on OL.  It wasn't until a good bit into the game that the announcers even commented that the Bills were playing backups at 4 out of 5 positions.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bigantall said:

You call seven sacks high level hmm

7 sacks are not necessarily on the OL.  It's on the QB to recognize and call protections - Allen admitted that he needed to do so on a couple of those sacks. 

Seattle was running a lot of safety blitzes in the 2nd half.  Sometimes it's on the RB or TE to pick up the blitz.  Knox missed his block Big Time on one Adams sack.  I was disappointed in him 😥 but maybe it's rust he'll shake off. 

And sometimes there's a man free and it's "on" the QB to hit his hot read or otherwise evade.

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Wasn't Allen sacked a bunch? I wouldn't brag about that performance by the depth.

See above post.  That's not necessarily on the O-Line per se

3 hours ago, Motorin' said:

I've been thinking, does the Bills O-Line seem better with Feliciano back, even with Morse out? 

Heretical, but I have had that thought, especially for run blocking.  On Josh's TD run, I don't believe Morse makes that cut block.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

7 sacks are not necessarily on the OL.  It's on the QB to recognize and call protections - Allen admitted that he needed to do so on a couple of those sacks. 

Seattle was running a lot of safety blitzes in the 2nd half.  Sometimes it's on the RB or TE to pick up the blitz.  Knox missed his block Big Time on one Adams sack.  I was disappointed in him 😥 but maybe it's rust he'll shake off. 

And sometimes there's a man free and it's "on" the QB to hit his hot read or otherwise evade.

See above post.  That's not necessarily on the O-Line per se

Heretical, but I have had that thought, especially for run blocking.  On Josh's TD run, I don't believe Morse makes that cut block.

Agree with all of this. I thought there was a dip but not a collapse. Boettger and Bates are guys the Bills have invested a lot of development time in.... to see them rewarded by serviceable performances in recent weeks is satisfying.

The sacks were for the most part not on the line as I saw them from the TV angle - definitely one on Knox and one on one of the backs (think was Singletary but would need to look again) and one on Josh holding it too long - but I loved that on that play he recognised it and as the guy got to him gave himself up and cradled the ball as opposed to trying some of the mad ***** he has in the past. It was one of my favourite Josh plays of the day as crazy as that sounds!

And you are 100% right on the Josh TD run. Morse doesn't make that block. I said it last year and I will say it again.... I am not totally sold that Morse is the best centre on the roster.... (though he has played better in 2020 than 2019). He is better in pass protection but definitely worse than Feliciano in the run game. Of course our best five has both Morse and Feliciano out there - which means Feliciano at Guard so it is a moot point at the moment.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

as complete victory by the offense as I  ever saw in 50 years of watching and or trying to watch the Bills; the play calls were great by the OC; Josh was at his best even tho sacked a bunch; the O-Line did the best they could and man the WRs with those patterns, catches and YACs...add a great game by the special teams and a crazy D effort against a great qb with a SB ring and perhaps the best WR in the game....maybe the best team effort victory this century ?

Edited by First Round Bust
punk-two-asian
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

It was incredible to watch the Bills' O-Line continue to play at a high level when three starters went down today with injuries.  All of our backup linemen would walk into starting roles on other teams. Morse went down last week and Feliciano stepped in seamlessly to man the pivot.   At various points in the game today Ford, Winters, and Williams all left the game and in came Bates, Nsekhe, and Boettger and the O-Line never missed a beat.  In the last two weeks we have replaced everyone on the O-Line except Dawkins and there was no noticeable dip in performance.  How many teams in the NFL could replace four starting offensive lineman without getting smoked? The Bills went from having arguably the worst O-Line in football two seasons ago to having the deepest line in the League.  Kudos to the brain trust at OBD for turning a glaring weakness into a team strength.  

A good point backing this up is Spain gets cut by us, and in three days is a starting Lineman for Cincy.  Beane has tried his best on both lines to provide depth.  On D, Star was a kick in the teeth, but we’re managing.  I’m so impressed not with run blocking as we have room to improve, but pass pro has been excellent.  Josh May have been sacked 7 times Sunday, but you have to ask was it the line, the QB, or a TE or RB who didn’t chop block.  In 2018, remember how fast they were in on Allen as a rookie and he had to take off and run not to get his head knocked off.

Sorry guys, chip block.  God I hate auto correct.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

We pretty much went with the same philosophy with the D line too, lots of depth with mid level players, so far hasn't worked out as well there, barring yesterday.   Could be with all the off season changes they are only now starting to jell.

10 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

Seattle was blitzing on almost every play

I think considering we knew the blitz was coming on every down the offensive line as a whole probably underperformed a bit in the second half...tight ends sure missed a lot of blocks too though and im sure its not easy to be asked to pass block on 90% of downs 🤣

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

I agree we have pretty good depth...however I would still like to draft another OL in one the first 3 rounds next draft...

Probably not a bad idea, ya really can’t have to many good O line guys. 

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Knox is just a disappointment in general. He’s regressed from last year and can’t catch the football still. Hopefully he turns into something but who knows.