Russell Wilson Once Viewed as Bills Potential Savior

10 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

i mean that’s a whole heaping of vague excuse. Do you feel the same way about skipping on Mahomes?

No, we had a good coach in place and would soon have a good GM for Mahomes.

You think our team would have been good enough to compete with Wilson and everything else the same?

Saw him in Grudens camp and new he was the one. Absolutely pissed when he was sitting there and we took a piece of trash instead (football wise, I’m sure *checks notes* TJ Graham is a wonderful person.)

Also, irony of ironies here... Chan Gailey has his career revived to work with someone who gets comped to Russel, after passing on him back then...

• Like (+1) 1

His hands are too small for the Buffalo weather and he is too short to be successful in the NFL.  That is what analysts said about him coming out of college.

I was so mad we didn't draft him with our 3rd round pick when he was just sitting there for the taking.  The dude was a gamer at Wisconsin and was awesome in his final Bowl game which made me want him on the Bills that much more.  Bills past mistake as there always are, just can't dwell in the past!

Edited by BuffaloButt

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

Of all the QB’s we shoulda, coulda, woulda....Russel Wilson is the one I wish we took. 

But that also means we wouldn’t have drafted Allen, so.....

Yeah, it's good we went 8 years without a QB to eventually wind up with a QB that isn't as good as the one we could have picked 8 years ago.

6 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Nix thought he could get Wilson in the beginning of the 4th.  He was wrong.  And that makes me wonder how smart GMs are about other GMs on draft day.

It's not the fact that Nix was wrong about Wilson being available at the top of the 4th, he was only about 20 picks off. That's fairly accurate for those rounds. It's that fact that he passed on a player at a position of ultimate importance. Regardless of how well Fitz was playing at the time, if you are infatuated with a QB you take the damn QB. Believe it or not Nix might actually still have a job if he did -- and the notion that Wilson wouldn't thrive here is just more homer BS that fans tell themselves (see Mahomes).

Does anyone remember that we traded up to take T.J. Graham over T.Y. Hilton? 

9 hours ago, MJS said:

I just don't think we had the talent, coaches, or divisional position to have done much with Wilson. We still would have had NE to deal with in the division. We still had subpar coaches, a subpar GM, etc. Still had Russ Brandon...

I agree.  Most importantly, we had subpar ownership that wasn't about to solve any of the organizational problems.  Bills were a real dumpster fire back then.

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

Of all the QB’s we shoulda, coulda, woulda....Russel Wilson is the one I wish we took. 

But that also means we wouldn’t have drafted Allen, so.....

Gotta agree with the last point.  As negligent as they’ve been over the years with Wilson and Mahomes, there is no QB I’d rather watch on Sunday afternoons than Josh Allen.  He’s a gift to Bills fans and we should enjoy it.

9 hours ago, MJS said:

I just don't think we had the talent, coaches, or divisional position to have done much with Wilson. We still would have had NE to deal with in the division. We still had subpar coaches, a subpar GM, etc. Still had Russ Brandon...

The MILLSTONE around the neck of the Bills for 20+ years.......

When he was coming out of college i wanted the Bills to draft him but all the BS about his height and not being prototypical NFL QB all of the "EXPERTS" were saying  he wouldn't be a good pick .

How's that working out for you ???

10 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

We also traded the mahomes pick. 😕

At least we didn't trade it for TJ Graham...

6 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

His hands are too small for the Buffalo weather and he is too short to be successful in the NFL.  That is what analysts said about him coming out of college.

I was so mad we didn't draft him with our 3rd round pick when he was just sitting there for the taking.  The dude was a gamer at Wisconsin and was awesome in his final Bowl game which made me want him on the Bills that much more.  Bills past mistake as there always are, just can't dwell in the past!

His hands are bigger than Allens.  Once you are over 10" it really isn't that important anymore though.

6 minutes ago, dneveu said:

At least we didn't trade it for TJ Graham...

His hands are bigger than Allens.  Once you are over 10" it really isn't that important anymore though.

Its how you use it that matters ?  This post sure has some awesome connotations.      

10 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m finding it more beneficial to my mental health to look forward rather than backward.

I can’t fix the past, but I like the look of our future.  Maybe that’s just me. Fingers crossed! 

I wish I had that luxury. Tragically, my super powers only give me the benefit of perfect hindsight

I've been on these message boards (also the one over at BuffaloBills.com when it still existed) for a few decades now.  Certain draft prospects were always very popular with Bills fans, and sometimes its fun to think about the "what ifs" if the GM had listened to the fans.  Sometimes our front office made the correct call, and other times they did not.

Lots of people were definitely pounding the table for Russell Wilson that year, and there was a total meltdown when we ended up taking TJ Graham instead.  There was a growing frustration with Buddy Nix, who seemed unwilling to roll the dice on a QB and was always hoping one would fall in his lap.  

Others that I recall:

-  The fans wanted Haloti Ngata.  The Bills took Donte Whitner.  

-  The fans wanted Rob Gronkowski (Buffalo native).  The Bills took John McCargo.

-  The fans wanted Brian Orakpo.  The Bills took Aaron Maybin.

-  The fans wanted Josh Rosen.  The Bills took John Allen.

It seems like during the Brandon Beane years, the GM has often agreed with the fanbase on the top picks.  For instance, Ed Oliver and Zack Moss.  

The year they passed on Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes, people seemed to be split on whether we should have drafted one of those guys or traded down.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Don't forget Seattle didn't even think Wilson was going to be that good. Matt Hasselbeck was the presumed starter. But Wilson was so great in camp he took that job away.

Not even Hasselbeck, It was Matt Flynn!

Although Pete Carroll deserves a ton of credit for going with a 3rd round rookie over Flynn who he had signed for 20 million 

• Like (+1) 2