Eating crow...DK Metcalf is a freak and a phenomenal talent

Big Turk

On 11/1/2020 at 2:00 PM, matter2003 said:

I was of the opinion Metcalf would be like David Boston and lift himself out of the NFL but he has turned into a freak and a phenomenal talent...

Just watched him take a 5 yard shallow cross to the house from 46 yards out and basically outran the entire SF defense to the far sideline and turned it upfield for a TD...Unbelievable.

There are going to be a lot of people that whiffed on this pick including 32 NFL GMs. 

I was pounding the table for him in round 1. Which would have been very controversial at the time.

On 11/1/2020 at 5:04 PM, Doc said:

He was the 9th WR taken.  Most people whiffed.

Because we don't yet have stats that measure the quality of decisions made in the draft........people like you can always say things like "every team missed on Tom Brady"............when the reality is teams that had Peyton Manning and Brett Favre etc.. made a much smaller mistake.

The problem with the Bills decision was:

-They had the worst WR corps in the NFL over the prior 2 year period.

-The biggest issue was separation.

-They had just drafted arguably the biggest armed QB prospect in NFL history.....but one who had some ball placement/accuracy issues.

The Bills simply had a bigger and more specific need for DK Metcalf's base skill........a huge target who could separate deep.

Instead the Bills chose a player at a low dollar value position with a skillset usually readily available in free agency........but also a skillset that most coaches say takes at least 3 years to get most players up to adequate.

It was a really bad decision in real-time.

I can all but guarantee that we will have  "draft decision leverage" stats in the next couple years that will measure the quality of a front office's draft decisions based on criteria like I listed above........something like value of the position + ease of replacement + depth of team need + next gen expected results + actual results.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/1/2020 at 5:00 PM, matter2003 said:

I was of the opinion Metcalf would be like David Boston and lift himself out of the NFL but he has turned into a freak and a phenomenal talent...

Just watched him take a 5 yard shallow cross to the house from 46 yards out and basically outran the entire SF defense to the far sideline and turned it upfield for a TD...Unbelievable.

yeah his stiff hips don’t seem to matter. He’s like a bigger faster TO

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Because we don't yet have stats that measure the quality of decisions made in the draft........people like you can always say things like "every team missed on Tom Brady"............when the reality is teams that had Peyton Manning and Brett Favre etc.. made a much smaller mistake.

The problem with the Bills decision was:

-They had the worst WR corps in the NFL over the prior 2 year period.

-The biggest issue was separation.

-They had just drafted arguably the biggest armed QB prospect in NFL history.....but one who had some ball placement/accuracy issues.

The Bills simply had a bigger and more specific need for DK Metcalf's base skill........a huge target who could separate deep.

Instead the Bills chose a player at a low dollar value position with a skillset usually readily available in free agency........but also a skillset that most coaches say takes at least 3 years to get most players up to adequate.

It was a really bad decision in real-time.

I can all but guarantee that we will have  "draft decision leverage" stats in the next couple years that will measure the quality of a front office's draft decisions based on criteria like I listed above........something like value of the position + ease of replacement + depth of team need + next gen expected results + actual results.

And then there are armchair GM's like yourself...

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/1/2020 at 3:40 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Yup.  Despite that duo, a year later the Bills had to give up a 1st rounder and tens of millions to get Diggs as a real #1 WR.

Metcalf, Brown Beasley and 2020's 1st round pick. A bargain.

I get this, but even with the benefit of hindsight I'm not sure I'd give up Diggs to have had Metcalf. No guarantee it goes down this way, but if we take Metcalf it's likely we don't make a move for Diggs. Agreed that the 2020 1st rounder could've tipped the scales depending on who it would have been used on, but right now Diggs is the better receiver, second in the league only to Hopkins this season.

I know we essentially spent our 1st rounder on him this year, and frankly I'm more okay with that than having Metcalf. For this offense, he's the more dynamic benefit - all-around better route runner, not nearly as physical but still high points all contested catches, and has great awareness and knowledge of the position. I'm curious how Davis will develop as well in conjunction with having Diggs. It's fine to say who was wrong in pre-evaluation of Metcalf, but extending that to mean we are worse off as a result isn't really defensible.

Edited by ctk232

On 11/3/2020 at 5:04 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I used to love David Boston. Not to say this will happen to Metcalf (but it arguably still could) but his knees couldn’t take his body after a while and he broke down after about 3-4 years. 

Boston got busted for roids a few times if I remember correctly

On 11/3/2020 at 6:12 AM, ColeB said:

Every GM outside of Seattle should be fired for taking the Combine stats too seriously and passing on him.  The Raiders passed on him 4 times.   Did you see how he looked going up against the Niners CB?  It looked like a Dad vs his 10 year old.

Remember our Buddy who said “we need a WR who’s open even when he’s not”.  That’s this guy.   It was interesting though that the week before vs Arizona he had only 2 receptions.  Was Lockett that much of a better matchup?  

Patrick Petersen is what happened to him.  Has owned him so far.

Edited by hemma

On 11/3/2020 at 3:13 PM, NJKBillsfan said:

Made a post the day after the draft asking why we didn't take this kid.

Got ripped for it. LOL

Me too.  Hell I said we should trade back and take him later in the first and people laughed their asses off.  Fail. 

1 hour ago, hemma said:

Patrick Petersen is what happened to him.  Has owned him so far.

That could be the case but not necessarily. If Lockett's match up was that much better, then it makes sense to heavily target him. Let's not forget how much a best Lockett is especially against some teams #2 CB. 

Metcalf is on his way to being the best WR in the league. Hands down.

• Like (+1) 1

Metcalf is very much like Calvin Johnson, physically. If Megatron had run the 3-Cone Drill &  Shuttle at the Combine, he'd have pooped the bed too. He was smart to let teams judge him on his 40-time & college production. Guys that big & physical have extremely unique & valuable skillsets, but will never be able to make quick cuts like Beasley or Diggs. 

I think if DK had skipped the "agility" drills at the combine, he'd have been rightly drafted in the top-20. I also think you'll see a future shift in the perception of those drills for the big/fast freaks who won't be running the types of routes those drills are used to project anyway.

• Like (+1) 1