Jordan Poyer, Daryl Williams make 1st quarter PFF all-pro team

YoloinOhio

S JORDAN POYER, BUFFALO BILLS

Josh Allen and the offense is getting the bulk of the attention in Buffalo this season, but the defense has carried on being quietly impressive and underrated. One of the most underrated members is safety Jordan Poyer. The way Buffalo deploys their safeties, Poyer has lined up all over the secondary, both in deep coverage and closer to the box as well as covering the slot against certain matchups when required. He has been excellent in any of those areas, racking up eight defensive stops in four games and forcing a key fumble against the Jets in Week 1.

Second Team: Justin Simmons, Denver Broncos

RT JACK CONKLIN, CLEVELAND BROWNS

Along with Teller, the arrival of Jack Conklin has transformed Cleveland’s offensive line. Jedrick Wills Jr. has held up well on the other side of the line at left tackle, but Jack Conklin was made for this offensive system and has been able to bulldoze players on the ground, especially with combination blocks with Teller inside. Conklin has also been good as a pass-blocker, allowing four total pressures across four games. This is always likely to be the weaker part of his game, but he is on course for the second-best PFF pass-blocking grade of his career.

Second Team: Daryl Williams, Buffalo Bills
Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

He has been fantastic. With his inevitable aging, I’ve wondered about how the heck they’ll replace him. I then realize Beane is in charge and all will be well. 

Since he and McD have been here, their process was clear and I love it. Love Poyer, too: he’s stout as all get out. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Pff still sucks

They do a great job with their data. It's why most NFL teams subscribe.

Not all of their entertainment product is particularly good.

But they're consistent, methodical and thoughtful. Doesn't mean anyone has to agree with all their scores, of course. Intelligent disagreement is a good basis for discussion.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

In the writeup about Conklin, there's a mention of Wyatt Teller, whom the Bills drafted and then traded to Cleveland.  At that time it looked like Teller was promising but not able to move up the depth chart in Buffalo.  He's transformed himself and is now playing at a very high level.  Too bad he didn't get that motivated while with the Bills. 

I'm happy for him.  He seemed like a good guy and he has worked hard.  I just wish it was in Buffalo.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Utah John said:

In the writeup about Conklin, there's a mention of Wyatt Teller, whom the Bills drafted and then traded to Cleveland.  At that time it looked like Teller was promising but not able to move up the depth chart in Buffalo.  He's transformed himself and is now playing at a very high level.  Too bad he didn't get that motivated while with the Bills. 

I'm happy for him.  He seemed like a good guy and he has worked hard.  I just wish it was in Buffalo.

One article has Teller ranked 10th in the league for MVP of the season so far...

• Haha (+1) 1

I already knew that Poyer was really good and underrated, but I wasn't expectimg DW to reach this level again and so soon!  What a HUGE boost for our offense along with Diggs having a great season and Josh Allen's enormous progress this season. I hope Cody Ford and Knox are able to make such big leaps soon too! Williams was so bad last year that the Panthers just let him walk and look at him now! I hope they extend Williams soon. I believe he's signed for just 2020.

8 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Defense quietly impressive and underrated?  I don't think they have been watching 2020 film.  Hyde has been the better safety.  Williams has been ok but not second-team.  Morse for as much crap as I give him has actually been the best OL.  His pass blocking has been quite good.  

His pass blocking has been very good.. not the best at run blocking but with a few upgrades at guard, who knows?

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I already knew that Poyer was really good and underrated, but I wasn't expectimg DW to reach this level again and so soon!  What a HUGE boost for our offense along with Diggs having a great season and Josh Allen's enormous progress this season. I hope Cody Ford and Knox are able to make such big leaps soon too! Williams was so bad last year that the Panthers just let him walk and look at him now! I hope they extend Williams soon. I believe he's signed for just 2020.

Likely lingering effects of injury and playing everywhere but where he excelled.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

o

" but the defense has carried on being quietly impressive and underrated."

Yeah right..i think thus far this is it is the direct opposite. The defense has not been "impressive" and if anything is overrated from what they have done the past few years.  Impressive defenses dont let other teams score 29 unanswered points in a half.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

S JORDAN POYER, BUFFALO BILLS

Josh Allen and the offense is getting the bulk of the attention in Buffalo this season, but the defense has carried on being quietly impressive and underrated. One of the most underrated members is safety Jordan Poyer. The way Buffalo deploys their safeties, Poyer has lined up all over the secondary, both in deep coverage and closer to the box as well as covering the slot against certain matchups when required. He has been excellent in any of those areas, racking up eight defensive stops in four games and forcing a key fumble against the Jets in Week 1.

Second Team: Justin Simmons, Denver Bronco

I'm happy for Poyer to get recognition from anywhere.  He goes damned hard every play and our "Suddenly Swiss Cheese" front 7 would have far worse consequences without him backstopping them.

However, since I criticize PFF's methodologies in general, I can't get too excited about it either.

4 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Hm. Maybe my eyes deceive me. I thought Poyer struggled vs the Raiders.

Most saw him get beat a couple times, 1 for a TD and the other led to the big PI call.  I believe it was on the same drive.  I didn’t notice him struggle beyond those two plays.

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

They do a great job with their data. It's why most NFL teams subscribe.

Not all of their entertainment product is particularly good.

But they're consistent, methodical and thoughtful. Doesn't mean anyone has to agree with all their scores, of course. Intelligent disagreement is a good basis for discussion.

An NFL team that's worth billions of dollars,  a $200 yearly subscription is chump change

And I doubt it's coming down right from the head coach. It's probably some back office guy in analytics. McDermott doesn't care about pff

And they are far from consistent and they're very biased. They have admitted trolling Bills fans

That gives them zero credit already

Edited by Buffalo716