Bill O Brien Fired

boco357

On some level though the timing just doesn’t make sense to me.

They started the season with the hardest 3 games imaginable and were a challenge call away from tying the game against Minnesota.

Why now?  All the stupid moves were made in the off-season.  Why fire him after a brutal stretch of games to start the season?

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

He really should have stayed at Penn State. He did good things with that program when it was in trouble post Paterno. 

I think he could be a pretty good to great college coach and I hope he takes a year before running into another job. That never works.

eh. He was great at penn state. Did amazing things. Single handedly kept them alive in sanctions era. Made Hackenberg a 2nd round pick.  Brought in guys like Saquan Barkley. Mike gisicki.  Really did amazing things.  Except he didn’t recruit any damn OL players - a major blunder. 

but as someone watching him on a daily basis.  He HATED being a college coach. Had no interest in the college aspect of the game.  Recruited well - but wasn’t excited about it.  Hated dealing with boosters and administrations. Wasn’t overly excited about kids grades.  Just wanted to coach football.  Was never going to be the long term fix there.  

i can’t see him going back to college.  I think him going back to being an nfl OC is his best bet - and the best fit for him. I’d take him to be Dabolls replacement (if that is necessary) 

I think Houston should purge the roster and IR Watson. Trade all the vets ASAP. They need building blocks and cap space ASAP. 
I seen some watt talk and he’s not my favorite player but that guy will kill himself to play for a ring. We could do worse. I expect a fire sale over there 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Romeo Crennel is 73 years old

Yea and there are older coaches.

I did a search and a number of articles mentioned oldest coach but neglected to include HEAD coach as part of qualifications.

i.e.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfls-oldest-coach-just-turned-69-and-hell-be-setting-a-record-with-bill-belichick-this-week/

Pete Carroll isn't the oldest coach ever in NFL history, but he's getting close. The Seahawks head coach turned 69 on Sept. 15, which means he's now just three years away from tying the record for oldest NFL coach ever.  

Anyone want to tell him to get his facts straight on twitter?  There have been even older coaches.

2 hours ago, gordong said:

And THAT worked out so well for the Bronco's when they let McDummmy do it. 

I See. No Lies

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I was just saying this same thing. Horrendous loss. 

I still See No Lies

But to be truthful, I think we needed the reality check

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I think Houston should purge the roster and IR Watson. Trade all the vets ASAP. They need building blocks and cap space ASAP. 
I seen some watt talk and he’s not my favorite player but that guy will kill himself to play for a ring. We could do worse. I expect a fire sale over there 

Having just paid their QB, I don’t see a fire sale in their future.  They need to “win now”

So the CBS crew at Mon nite halftime is implying the firing had to do with conflicts within the building and not the record

Cap space is not an issue. After this season they are tied into paying basically nobody except Tunsil and Watson. The problem is there is no point tanking. Their first pick next year is in round 3 thanks to Billy O's genius GM-ship. 

Still that is a roster you can turnaround pretty quickly and you have a stud young QB. It will be the best job on the market unless something very surprising happens somewhere else.

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

That's my point, if the owner is going to allow these trades, why then give up after only 4 weeks.  That to me is the crazy part here.  He should have fired him when he proposed the Hopkins trade.

Makes me wonder if the owner fired him now more to try and save face from all the criticism thrown at the team.

Again, though no concrete details the CBS Mon nite football cure was implying that there was something going on within the building, perhaps leading to a “straw that broke the camel’s back”

beanes will keep an eye on this . certainly the players who might shake free via trade etc.

Just a horrid example of poor ownership and allowing the Team to be nearly ruined for years to come by one man.