Milano is week-to-week with injury

Process

12 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yes, he can't come up from the Practice Squad anymore. He has to be signed to the roster. Which is what I was alluding to. It's a "week to week" sprain. But he was on crutches in the locker room - so I doubt it's minor.

Yes, they cut him from the 53 to put Norman on. He then cleared waivers and was signed to our Practice Squad. This makes him ineligible to be called up unless signed to the 53. Which is why I'd expect Levi to go on IR.

Week to week but not long term 

Edited by YoloinOhio

From Banged Up Bills on Milano —

There are some resources that note that this strain could be a 2-6 week recovery. 

Considering they’re not placing him on IR at the moment, this leads me to believe that he’ll be out 2-4 weeks. Not quite enough to be placed on IR but not a quick return. I will say he’ll miss probably 2 games which will put him on track to return for the Jets game. Unfortunately, that second game missed would line up with the Chiefs game which would be vital for him to be available. More information will have to be available in order to change my mind on the timeline.

Already this season we have seen Eagles DT Javon Hargrave miss almost 4 weeks with the injury before returning to play in Week 2. Raiders LB Nick Kwiatkoski missed 2 games with a pectoral injury and returned to play with bracing. So to put him on track to return after 2-3 games should be reasonable. 

https://bangedupbills.com/2020/10/06/2020-week-4-bills-injury-review-raiders/

Edited by YoloinOhio

Kind of strange to see people talking like he is out forever.

Pretty sure on the field when the trainers came out, he said he was fine and wanted to stay in.

I don't think its as serious as people are making it out to be.  I think he misses this next game, but I think there is a chance for KC.

A strain is very vague and could be better in days.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Actually I think it usually means he’s out multiple weeks 

That was my thought too. He is for sure out this week and then the short week for KC is a real possibility he is gone. 
With how important LB is to McDermotts D this is a bit frustrating. I wish Beane had done a little more for depth in this area. I love Beane and I am not questioning him, just frustrated. 

9 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think they have to name their price with Milano and accept it if he gets a better offer elsewhere. I would say that due to his constant nagging injuries Milano's price point should be pegged at 7-8 million per year with a modest guarantee over the course of 3 years. 

Milano is not scheme diverse, there's no question his highest value is with the Bills. He can be a star in a very specific Defensive scheme (ours), but he won't have near the same level of impact playing a traditional OLB role somewhere else, he'd be a JAG. I think he knows this, and will want to stay on a reasonable deal vs taking more money to be a square peg in a round hole & becoming a potential cut after year 1 if it doesn't work out. I think he'll he'll take a team-friendly deal bulked up with playing time incentives.

This is the same thing that happened with Josh Norman going to Washington. He was a perfect fit in McD's scheme & became an All-Pro. He chased the money & was an awful fit for Washington's D, he struggled & his value took a major hit. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Not sure how you could know this, but regardless, even if true, it may have been the adrenaline talking.

Watch the game.  They literally zoomed in on Milano and the trainer.  Not that hard to lip read when it's right in front of your face.

I wish they’d bring in another backer with more speed/athleticism. AJ Klein is fine on special teams, but relying on him for defensive snaps is scary. I’d love them to kick the tires on Bradham. Shoot, while he’s certainly underwhelmed as a pro, even Darron Lee is out there and he has wheels. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 947 said:

Milano is not scheme diverse, there's no question his highest value is with the Bills. He can be a star in a very specific Defensive scheme (ours), but he won't have near the same level of impact playing a traditional OLB role somewhere else, he'd be a JAG. I think he knows this, and will want to stay on a reasonable deal vs taking more money to be a square peg in a round hole & becoming a potential cut after year 1 if it doesn't work out. I think he'll he'll take a team-friendly deal bulked up with playing time incentives.

This is the same thing that happened with Josh Norman going to Washington. He was a perfect fit in McD's scheme & became an All-Pro. He chased the money & was an awful fit for Washington's D, he struggled & his value took a major hit. 

I agree somewhat but I do think that Milano's sideline to sideline skills and solid tackling ability can fit in other schemes. He plays really well in the nickel and can cover lesser tight ends and good running backs out of the backfield. I think there are a lot of other scheme fits for him around the league. BUT I do think that he has to place himself in the right situation and there isn't a better situation for him for both team success and individual success than Buffalo. 

I think that his health will prevent him from getting that huge offer he could have received if he had a big year and stayed healthy. I think his best bet would be to take a two year deal 14-16 million total modest guarantee on year one and two and try to hit the market in a couple of years when the cap is higher and he has two more years in a system that makes him look good. 

The long winded point I am trying to make is that I don't think Milano's skills are so specialized to the system that he would only be successful in McD's system. Milano could work in a variety of 4-3 systems. BUT given his health concerns and his comfort within the system it might make sense for him to take a two year deal that puts him in a reasonable range and in line to get a big contract while he is still in his 20's. Even for all the ***** Norman took in Washington he was still an above average corner there for his first three seasons. It wasn't until 2019 when he became a complete liability that he was cut.

12 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think they have to name their price with Milano and accept it if he gets a better offer elsewhere. I would say that due to his constant nagging injuries Milano's price point should be pegged at 7-8 million per year with a modest guarantee over the course of 3 years. 

Agree.  While the number of games Milano has missed is not that many, he has played a lot of games with a bunch of nagging injuries.

Contract wise it would seem that a good "games played" incentive would be wise.

Milano reminds me of a strong safety from 20 years ago. 6’ 225 is a pre 2000 safety. What he can do in coverage on a TE, RB or underneath zone on a WR is impressive. What’s most impressive is his power comes almost entirely from his base, his legs are a weapon when he form tackles and or used his leaping to bat or attack passes. The kid can spring. 

Edited by Dr.Sack