Milano is week-to-week with injury

Process

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Watch the game.  They literally zoomed in on Milano and the trainer.  Not that hard to lip read when it's right in front of your face.

Maybe you should re-watch.  CBS provided a nice tight shot alright.  Of the back of Milano's helmet and 3-4 trainers with masks on.

Kudos on lip reading thru a helmet and face masks.  How could I have missed what was CLEARLY Milano appealing to stay in the game?  LOL 

Edited by BillnutinHouston

It may be a realistic expectation to bring Alexander back in to the fold. I think Dodson will continue to grow but our depth is taking a hit. Next man up only lasts so long as long as there is a next man. Norman provided a spark, but I honestly think Alexander would provide just as much as a boost

On 10/6/2020 at 5:29 AM, Process said:

This is obviously not good. 

Even if we were to lose him for an extended period, the bills are unbelievably fortunate when it comes to injuries compared to the rest of the league. So can't really complain.

But he's our best linebacker that we don't have an adequate replacement for. There is a very noticeable difference when he isn't on the field. Fire up opposing TEs in fantasy.

He really is not replaceable with what we have. A terrific player.

11 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I agree somewhat but I do think that Milano's sideline to sideline skills and solid tackling ability can fit in other schemes. He plays really well in the nickel and can cover lesser tight ends and good running backs out of the backfield. I think there are a lot of other scheme fits for him around the league. BUT I do think that he has to place himself in the right situation and there isn't a better situation for him for both team success and individual success than Buffalo. 

I think that his health will prevent him from getting that huge offer he could have received if he had a big year and stayed healthy. I think his best bet would be to take a two year deal 14-16 million total modest guarantee on year one and two and try to hit the market in a couple of years when the cap is higher and he has two more years in a system that makes him look good. 

The long winded point I am trying to make is that I don't think Milano's skills are so specialized to the system that he would only be successful in McD's system. Milano could work in a variety of 4-3 systems. BUT given his health concerns and his comfort within the system it might make sense for him to take a two year deal that puts him in a reasonable range and in line to get a big contract while he is still in his 20's. Even for all the ***** Norman took in Washington he was still an above average corner there for his first three seasons. It wasn't until 2019 when he became a complete liability that he was cut.

Agreed that his skills would be valuable to many but not all teams.

But if I were him and couldn't get a good contract this year, I would in no way sign for two years. One year only. 2022 is going to be the year when players hit major jackpots. There will be more money available under caps than has ever been in the history of the NFL and it's likely to be somewhere around twice as much as has ever been seen when all is said, done and counted. I'd expect his agent to tell him to sign a one year deal and be ready to score big somewhere in 2022.

I'm hoping the Bills find a way to keep him long-term but it will be very tough with the COVID cap next year.

Edited by Thurman#1

41 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Agreed that his skills would be valuable to many but not all teams.

But if I were him and couldn't get a good contract this year, I would in no way sign for two years. One year only. 2022 is going to be the year when players hit major jackpots. There will be more money available under caps than has ever been in the history of the NFL and it's likely to be somewhere around twice as much as has ever been seen when all is said, done and counted. I'd expect his agent to tell him to sign a one year deal and be ready to score big somewhere in 2022.

I'm hoping the Bills find a way to keep him long-term but it will be very tough with the COVID cap next year.

A one year "prove it" deal might be what he wants and if I were the Bills I would take it, it allows you to draft a player in the 3rd-5th round behind him and have a year to break him in. I am not sure if 2022 the cap will jump as much as predicted. I think the NFL and NFLPA are going to "smooth" out the cap decrease for 2021. Which will lead to either a minor cut in the 2021 cap or a flat rate from 2020 to 2021 but then the increase in 2022 would be smaller. Kind of robbing 2022's cap to make the 2021 cap less bad.

I think the owners, GM's and players all want to avoid a deep cut in 2021 and then a wild swing in 2022. If the case is that the cap will be smoothed out then Milano might be better taking a two year deal and waiting for a bigger cap increase in 2023. Either way if Milano's inconsistent health seems to hit his market value having him back for one more year on a moderate deal of 7-8 million would be a win win for both sides. 

Edited by billsfan89

Listening to the Josh interview today he used this quote.  Availability is the best ability.  Made me think about 2 key starters.  

Milano and Wallace.  Both have been injured multiple times in their young careers and seem to be banged up more often than not.  

So does this impact the desire to resign them?   I'd say wallace is on the bubble to want to resign as it is, but Milano will he commanding some big dollars and he has had a few pretty serious injuries and seems to play hurt constantly.  

Curious of everyone's take....my thought is roll the dice in the draft. 

9 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Listening to the Josh interview today he used this quote.  Availability is the best ability.  Made me think about 2 key starters.  

Milano and Wallace.  Both have been injured multiple times in their young careers and seem to be banged up more often than not.  

So does this impact the desire to resign them?   I'd say wallace is on the bubble to want to resign as it is, but Milano will he commanding some big dollars and he has had a few pretty serious injuries and seems to play hurt constantly.  

I don’t think Levi is a key starter, he’s replacement level.

Milano, IMO, is excellent and a perfect modern day LB.  His injury history is overblown.  I’d re-sign him, I bet he takes a team friendly deal.  He’s a key cog

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I want to re-sign Milano.  I think he's important to our D.  That said, I know Beane will have a figure, and Milano will have agents who shop him on the free agent market.

A lot depends on when/how he comes back from this pec thing.

Just now, SWATeam said:

He won’t need to do that until Saturday 

So if he IR's Milano any time this week, he only has to miss 3 games?

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I want to re-sign Milano.  I think he's important to our D.  That said, I know Beane will have a figure, and Milano will have agents who shop him on the free agent market.

A lot depends on when/how he comes back from this pec thing.

So if he IR's Milano any time this week, he only has to miss 3 games?

That’s my understanding 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I don’t think Levi is a key starter, he’s replacement level.

Milano, IMO, is excellent and a perfect modern day LB.  His injury history is overblown.  I’d re-sign him, I bet he takes a team friendly deal.  He’s a key cog

Agreed about Wallace.  He’s a process guy though and a man of god.  I wouldn’t pay him more than 3 mill a year though.  Milano has looking better than ever, but my inside guy says they view him as an injury risk.  I don’t think we’ll offer him more than 10 mill and he’ll get more than that on the market.  How bad does he wanna be a Bill is the question imo

Just now, NewEra said:

Agreed about Wallace.  He’s a process guy though and a man of god.  I wouldn’t pay him more than 3 mill a year though.  Milano has looking better than ever, but my inside guy says they view him as an injury risk.  I don’t think we’ll offer him more than 10 mill and he’ll get more than that on the market.  How bad does he wanna be a Bill is the question imo

There's an injury risk, and then there's a "D plays like they're moving in fog with no compass when he's out" risk.  If they can replace Milano so easily with a dice-roll in the draft, they should have his replacements lined up.  Not seeing that so far.

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That is a very interesting point....I would like to think that weighs on his decision heavily...but, I can fully understand choosing a big payday if it is substantially more than we offer.  Interesting your inside guy states that as fact.  Guess a portion of the board has that part right.

If we do end up signing him to an extension...Still need to look to the draft or FA for his backup.  Quite a drop off there.

Edited by Lagoon Blues

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He strikes me as the guy who has no loyalty to the Buffalo.  Given his ability to stay healthy, he probably should maximize his chance for a payday.  For some reason, I can see his career being Kiko like.  Playmaker who isn’t big enough, gets hurt and bounces around.  Get your money Matt. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He strikes me as the guy who has no loyalty to the Buffalo.  Given his ability to stay healthy, he probably should maximize his chance for a payday.  For some reason, I can see his career being Kiko like.  Playmaker who isn’t big enough, gets hurt and bounces around.  Get your money Matt. 

Yeah....Kiko could be a good comparison. He’s a perfect fit in our scheme and might not be as effective elsewhere.  While always being hurt.

I know he’s a minimalist, does that means he cares more about money or less?

54 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Really? I honestly have not gotten that impression from him.  This team seems to be "one for all and all for one" to me right now. Is there anything specific that makes you feel that way?

5 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Really? I honestly have not gotten that impression from him.  This team seems to be "one for all and all for one" to me right now. Is there anything specific that makes you feel that way?

Total speculation based on nothing haha.  But I know he’s from Tampa and I just get the Beach bro vibe with him and that if he gets a better opportunity, especially in certain markets, he’s out.  

I could be completely wrong haha and he is a straight up playmaker so I definitely enjoy having him on the squad and he was an amazing draft pick.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1