Milano is week-to-week with injury

Process

Matt Milano missed four games in three seasons, plus one this season. He plays 110% every snap. I'd be surprised if he even keeps track of the score while he's playing. I'd rather have someone like Milano who puts himself out there than someone like Klein, who I'm quite sure is going to finish the season without a scratch.

• Like (+1) 3

Cannot give big money to a guy that cannot stay on the field.  Best ability in the NFL is availability as McD Says

24 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Can someone explain what week-to-week actually means? It sounds to me that it is some minor injury and it might me from couple days (i.e. he might even play vs Titans) to couple of weeks (1-2, or 3 at worst).

But reading this thread it seems that you deem it more serious, mentioning even IR. 

Thanks.

Well Considering IR is 3 weeks it should absolutely be talked about if this thing is week to week

2 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

we might have one of the worst LB groups in the league without Milano 

You're right.  Tremaine is not nearly as good as the local media and team would have you believe and outside of that its bare

2 hours ago, Process said:

This is obviously not good. 

Even if we were to lose him for an extended period, the bills are unbelievably fortunate when it comes to injuries compared to the rest of the league. So can't really complain.

But he's our best linebacker that we don't have an adequate replacement for. There is a very noticeable difference when he isn't on the field. Fire up opposing TEs in fantasy.

Zo coming back. 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Dodson might be ok.   Generally speaking MLB's either have that ability to mirror the RB and anticipate where the ball is going or they do not.

People here once compared Edmunds to Brian Urlacher...........and then when he was awful against the run they tried to make excuses about how the 3 year college LB Edmunds needed time to learn the position.  

But of course Urlacher wasn't even a LB in college and was playing like an all-pro in the middle immediately as a rookie.

You got it or you don't.

Julian Stanford was just as good as Edmunds when he had to play for him while Tremaine was out with a concussion too.   No drop off.

He is probably clinging to the fringe of the Panthers roster they might be able to re-acquire him for a 7th or something.

Required reading.  I can’t agree more. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

Imo, are in serious trouble if Edmunds is our best LB out on the field...that being said, I think the Bills need to consider drafting Milano’s replacement in one of the first 2 rounds next draft...As much as I love the guy, he just cannot stay on the field...

I agree on drafting Milano’s replacement. You might be onto something with going early for the replacement. We are seeing how important the position is to McD’s D.

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Cannot give big money to a guy that cannot stay on the field.  Best ability in the NFL is availability as McD Says

Well Considering IR is 3 weeks it should absolutely be talked about if this thing is week to week

Hopefully, not putting him on IR yet is a sign that he'll miss less than 3 weeks.

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sadly, this brings us to what to do about a 2nd contract. I think Bills have to play their cards close to the vest because he’s not medically reliable. But other teams will entice him with big buck$$..

Not necessarily.  Every GM and Pro Personnel Director sees the same medical reports/history.   Milano is a good player who, unfortunately, misses time every season at some point.  I don’t see a team breakIng the bank for him.  His price tag is dropping.  

The question is if the Bills will find it worthwhile to even pay the lessened price tag.  At this point, if Daryl Williams continues his good play, Beane might choose to put their money into him and Feliciano instead.  And if Dodson, who flashes his athleticism, improves over the course of the season I’d say Milano is definitely gone.

Edited by purple haze

Milano’s injury history presents a challenge to the McBeane mantra of Drafting and re-signing their own. When on the field, Matt is a key cog. But he’s off the field too much at this stage of his career, with a 2nd contract looming. I see the team offer being generous but not ridiculous, which will encourage Milano to see what other offers he may receive. Then, I think we balk..

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Milano’s injury history presents a challenge to the McBeane mantra of Drafting and re-signing their own. When on the field, Matt is a key cog. But he’s off the field too much at this stage of his career, with a 2nd contract looming. I see the team offer being generous but not ridiculous, which will encourage Milano to see what other offers he may receive. Then, I think we balk..

I think they have to name their price with Milano and accept it if he gets a better offer elsewhere. I would say that due to his constant nagging injuries Milano's price point should be pegged at 7-8 million per year with a modest guarantee over the course of 3 years. 

• Like (+1) 2