Cam Newton tests positive for Covid, OUT Sunday v Chiefs UPDATE: Game postponed

Process
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Please tightly restrict conversation in this thread to football and football-relevant matters.

Two Bills Drive no longer finds it appropriate to engage in COVID-19 discussion in our main discussion areas. (This includes your opinion about the incubation/infectious period, interval before a positive test, and infection control measures the NFL should employ, and this means YOU.) We are a Buffalo Bills fan community and we exist to serve fans of the Buffalo Bills and the NFL. Please use other communities and venues to discuss heath-related topics including COVID-19. 

Information about COVID-19 is available from many globally respected sources including:

Uptodate     |  British Medical Journal Best Practice   |      COVIPENDIUM    |    Our world in Data

The pinned topic: COVID-19 - Facts and Information Only Topic, located on the Off the Wall subforum, is also a resource.   Should these not meet your needs, many other sources of information (of varied accuracy) exist.

Thank you!

7 minutes ago, Process said:

Pats statement says he tested positive late last night. How he hell can they be sure no other pats players have it? No way they can play the game, can they?

So he tested positive last night.

That tells us nothing about when he contracted it, even if he is still asymptomatic.

He may have had it, and spread it all through the team, all week long at practice.

I'm not sure what the team has been doing in terms of testing type, but I would think every player in NE needs to get the deep nasal swab test done today before that game can be played.

Just now, Limeaid said:

No extra weeks being added to season is a bad thing.  Forfeits are the proper response if a team cannot play.  Adding extra games (not an entire bye week for league) hurts teams who will be in playoffs and need to play an extra game while other playoff teams rest and get healthy.

Because of the northern cities weather,  you can't finish much later. And because summer and labor day weekend mean having less viewers, the NFL is wary to start earlier. But IMO a longer season with 3-4 bye weeks would be better. Many of the season ending injuries wouldn't be anymore, if just that. 

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

No extra weeks being added to season is a bad thing.  Forfeits are the proper response if a team cannot play.  Adding extra games (not an entire bye week for league) hurts teams who will be in playoffs and need to play an extra game while other playoff teams rest and get healthy.

I would think this would depend on how many players and teams end up testing positive. If it's a lot, then I don't see how extra weeks being added would be a bad thing IMO.

Just now, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

No one's saying that anything about this is ideal.  But would you rather they just cancel the season? 

No have teams which cannot play forfeit.  It reinforces the instructions of the NFL to be cautious rather than messing around with schedule which tells teams we will find another way to get those games in.

6 minutes ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Because this is Cam, it will necessarily gather much more attention. But the fact is, the Falcons had a player (A.J. Terrell) test positive last week, he didn't play, all other tests came back fine, they played Bears Sunday, no Falcons or Bears got sick. Same procedures in place.

Yup. Seems to be widely unknown in this thread that we’ve already seen this once without it spiraling. Hoping this will be the case.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I would think this would depend on how many players and teams end up testing positive. If it's a lot, then I don't see how extra weeks being added would be a bad thing IMO.

If the virus spreads as prevalently as a lot of people predict, adding weeks won't solve the problem.

9 minutes ago, Beast said:

It's only a matter of time before the NFL shuts down. It seems another wave has started.

Lol... NFL is not shutting down.   You think they’re going to be the only major sport that folds to this? No way..

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

No have teams which cannot play forfeit.  It reinforces the instructions of the NFL to be cautious rather than messing around with schedule which tells teams we will find another way to get those games in.

You assume fault where they may be none.  And there's no way on God's Green Earth that the NFL is going to be down with forfeiting games.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

I get what you mean, but I would rather they just suspend the ones that are not following the rules than to force a team to forfeit, but that's just me. I'm in the category of they should add a week or 2 or whatever if it's necessary. 

11 minutes ago, Beast said:

It's only a matter of time before the NFL shuts down. It seems another wave has started.

I'm always surprised to find out some fans have literally no idea how much money the NFL generates. 

Goodell will have a guy pushing a cart yelling "Bring out your dead" long before he shuts down the season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 7

22 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

Does anyone else get the feeling that dominoes are starting to fall?

Like has probably been stated 20 times in this thread, it was bound to happen.  The number of coaches, players and other staff - it was inevitable.

• Like (+1) 1