Should the Bills bring in Marcel Dareus?

PromoTheRobot

7 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Thought about it numerous times actually. Dude would be cheap and it would not hurt to talk and see his mindset and throw him on some drills either.  This talk of Zimmer being some savior just doesn't fly with me, he's flat out depth.  Dareus is still considered the best FA DT.  People do change for better or worse.  I honestly feel Rex and Doug (pt2) were both bad fits for him.  You can't deny the fact his first 4 seasons under the right coaching staff and scheme he was a top 5DT in the league as well.  

I don't know for sure obviously, but I think Dareus did something in the locker room that qualified as a Bridge Burning Act in McDermott's eyes. 

I think his welcome mat is worn out and in the trash compactor.

But I could be wrong.

On 9/28/2020 at 8:18 PM, Mister Defense said:

Definitely, as the Bills have been gashed too often already, seem to really miss their huge lineman, Star and Jordan Phillips. 

He is 30 years old and can likely still be,  if motivated, a big part of a great defense.

No risk, but a big reward possible here.

If

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know for sure obviously, but I think Dareus did something in the locker room that qualified as a Bridge Burning Act in McDermott's eyes. 

I think his welcome mat is worn out and in the trash compactor.

But I could be wrong.

Most of you are prob right Hap.

I'm really reaching at this phase as I think most our D issues are at the DT and MLB position right now after re-watching a couple of these games. I just don't see a solution at this unless we make a trade and drop serious future assets. 

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Thought about it numerous times actually. Dude would be cheap and it would not hurt to talk and see his mindset and throw him on some drills either.  This talk of Zimmer being some savior just doesn't fly with me, he's flat out depth.  Dareus is still considered the best FA DT.  People do change for better or worse.  I honestly feel Rex and Doug (pt2) were both bad fits for him.  You can't deny the fact his first 4 seasons under the right coaching staff and scheme he was a top 5DT in the league as well.  

If he was truly a bad fit, he would be employed by now because other teams would recognize this.

Dareus hurts your defense because he takes plays off and is lazy.  That’s why he’s not even a depth player right now.  He’s probably done in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/28/2020 at 6:34 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

Our defensive middle is a swinging door right now. We need a clogger. Is Dareus still a free agent?

What are you even talking about? We just contained Jacobs and Henry. Run defense is not the issue. Linebacker depth is. And also containing the edges on the line.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

What are you even talking about? We just contained Jacobs and Henry. Run defense is not the issue. Linebacker depth is. And also containing the edges on the line.

Stopping the run is one thing. Getting a solid push straight into the QB's face is what we are lacking big time right now and hurting us up the gut. 

25 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If he was truly a bad fit, he would be employed by now because other teams would recognize this.

Dareus hurts your defense because he takes plays off and is lazy.  That’s why he’s not even a depth player right now.  He’s probably done in the NFL.

Half of the defense looks like they already take too many plays off. He'd fit right in.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2020/10/14/21515316/cowboys-news-jerry-jones-comments-on-dak-prescott-contract-status-andy-dalton-ceedee-lamb

A ways down in this blog they talk about 3 free agents the Cowboys should consider signing.  DT Marcell Dareus is first on the list.  Another similar suggestion was made on a Cincinnati Bengals blog.  So some people think he might be a viable option...

On 9/28/2020 at 8:36 AM, GunnerBill said:

You know if I thought he was healthy, in shape and wanted to play football I would, for sure on a cheap 1 year deal. Just not sure how many of those descriptions actually fit Marcel at this stage.

So a different person than he ever ven was? Lol. I remember meeting him at work after his rookie year i talked to him a bit. I joked with him asking can I pencil you in for 10 sacks. He promised me 14 sacks his second year. Im still waiting

Dude was lazy in football. He is probably an out of shape slug right now smoking weed and eating dorritos on his couch. No thanks. 

There is a reason this team got rid of him. There is a reason he is not on a team now. We need help but Dareus isn't it. 

• Like (+1) 1