Third Quarter Anemic Offense (Getting Better Every Week)

Gugny

I've always felt concerned about the (to me) apparent lack of 3rd quarter scoring we see out of the Bills.  After looking it up (https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/3rd-quarter-points-per-game?date=2020-09-21), I feel that my concern is warranted:

• 2018:  23rd in the NFL, averaging 3.9 points
  • 2019:  26th, averaging 3.4 points
  • 2020:  31st, with a goose egg through two weeks

This is not me complaining about Daboll.  I've actually been happy with him so far this season (although, I'm still pissed about the playoff loss, but I digress).

The team under this current coaching staff has always just seemed flat (offensively) coming out of halftime.

I'm interested to see how others feel about this topic and possibly gain a better understanding of why this seems to be a trend.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I've always felt concerned about the (to me) apparent lack of 3rd quarter scoring we see out of the Bills.  After looking it up (https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/3rd-quarter-points-per-game?date=2020-09-21), I feel that my concern is warranted:

This is not me complaining about Daboll.  I've actually been happy with him so far this season (although, I'm still pissed about the playoff loss, but I digress).

The team under this current coaching staff has always just seemed flat (offensively) coming out of halftime.

I'm interested to see how others feel about this topic and possibly gain a better understanding of why this seems to be a trend.

The Bills offense ran 8 plays in the third quarter, on two possessions. One of them started on the one yard line after the goal line stand. It's not surprising that they did not function well in that circumstance.

The big problem was that the defense could not get off the field, letting the Fins grind out long, time consuming drives. I would not draw too many conclusions from this so early in the season. If the offense had more chances in the third quarter, I am confident they would have gotten it moving, as they did in the fourth. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Dr. K said:

The Bills offense ran 8 plays in the third quarter, on two possessions. One of them started on the one yard line after the goal line stand. It's not surprising that they did not function well in that circumstance.

The big problem was that the defense could not get off the field, letting the Fins grind out long, time consuming drives. I would not draw too many conclusions from this so early in the season. If the offense had more chances in the third quarter, I am confident they would have gotten it moving, as they did in the fourth. 

Totally get that with yesterday's game, but I'm going off of the two prior seasons, as well.

Our 3rd Quarters arent just an Offensive problem. They are a Team problem that goes all the way up to McDermott.

It's the one major problem left in his coaching.

I dont know what they do to fix it since I dont know wtf is going on in the locker room at halftime. But it definitely needs to change.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

Correct.  Both drives ended on a missed pass to Diggs on a 3rd and short.  If I remember correctly one was a bad pass and one was a Diggs drop.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Totally get that with yesterday's game, but I'm going off of the two prior seasons, as well.

Right. I can't argue with that: it is a problem.

But on the evidence of the first two games, I think there is reason to expect the offense to score more than it has in the past, and that includes in the third quarter. We''ll have to see. I think the Rams game is a big test. 

Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It feels like we are just a little slow in making adjustments after halftime. They need to embrace the mentality of we can pass it no matter what you do, try and stop us. 

Josh threw  a perfect pass to Diggs and Diggs slowed down. To me it was a simple question of them still working out the kinks.  
If Diggs takes that one extra step, it’s a completion and we aren’t having this discussion.

I understand seeing a trend across three seasons but this season and team are not last years. Give it a few more weeks and then we can talk.

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 5

I think 2020 3rd quarter lack of scoring is a red herring.  The Bills are 3rd in the NFL in yards, 8th in scoring so far this year.  The offense has been fine.  I think the lack of scoring in the 3rd quarter is a meaningless statistical aberration.  

To suggest that we're continuing a multi year trend is premature.  We've only played two games and this is not the Bills of past years.  Daboll has fully implemented his offense.  Allen has seemingly  mature as a QB.  And the offense has new weapons this year.   I think we need to wait a few games to make any characterizations about the 2020 Bills offense.  I'm pretty sure it won't have the same traits as the 2018 offense when the 3rd quarter problems began.  More specifically, I don't think the 3rd quarter drought will continue.   

Let's wait and see.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sure they will be focusing on that going forward. It's the big, glaring issue for the team right now. The bills usually do a fine job at addressing their most glaring issues.

Maybe they need to scheme it up in the 3rd quarter with some trick plays or gimmick plays that get a little momentum. For the defense, I'm not sure. They seemed to blitz too much yesterday.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Josh threw  a perfect pass to Diggs and Diggs slowed down. To me it was a simple question of them still working out the kinks.  
If Diggs takes that one extra step, it’s a completion and we aren’t having this discussion.

I understand seeing a trend across three seasons but this season and team are not last years. Give it a few more weeks and then we can talk.

This is right on.  The things that stopped our two third quarter drives yesterday had nothing to do with scheme or preparation.  Those mistakes could have happened in any quarter but they just happened to happen in the third.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think 2020 3rd quarter lack of scoring is a red herring.  The Bills are 3rd in the NFL in yards, 8th in scoring so far this year.  The offense has been fine.  I think the lack of scoring in the 3rd quarter is a meaningless statistical aberration.  

To suggest that we're continuing a multi year trend is premature.  We've only played two games and this is not the Bills of past years.  Daboll has fully implemented his offense.  Allen has seemingly  mature as a QB.  And the offense has new weapons this year.   I think we need to wait a few games to make any characterizations about the 2020 Bills offense.  I'm pretty sure it won't have the same traits as the 2018 offense when the 3rd quarter problems began.  More specifically, I don't think the 3rd quarter drought will continue.   

Let's wait and see.  

With all due respect, Hondo, it was a clear trend through the two previous seasons and we've begun this season and two weeks in, the trend is not trending upward.  I don't know how it's premature to raise a red flag.  

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

with same coach and largely same personnel it’s definitely a spot to keep an eye on trends carrying over. 

its a bit like some teams being excellent out of a bye and others terrible- regardless of approach taken. Coach needs to know his teams needs for energy levels and attention to detail vs some space during pauses. 

im not fretting was few teams are foot on the gas 100% of the time but it’s something to keep an eye on as a chance to grow a bit 

23 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

If someone says it's not an issue or it's premature to say it's an issue, they are putting blinders on.  It's certainly an issue - that being said, the Bills finally have an offense capable enough of fixing that issue

Agreed and the way I see it is that it's an execution issue not a play calling or a game planning issue.