Third Quarter Anemic Offense (Getting Better Every Week)

Gugny

After 10 weeks, the Bills stand at 28th in the league with an average of three points/3Q.  In 2019, they average 3.4 points/3Q.

In their last three games, however, they've averaged 5.7 points/3Q, which is actually very good.

Overall, still an obvious and disturbing trend:  https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/3rd-quarter-points-per-game

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

After 10 weeks, the Bills stand at 28th in the league with an average of three points/3Q.  In 2019, they average 3.4 points/3Q.

In their last three games, however, they've averaged 5.7 points/3Q, which is actually very good.

Overall, still an obvious and disturbing trend:  https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/3rd-quarter-points-per-game

The Bills are a good team in the 1st, 3rd and 4th quarters.  I’m not making that big of a deal when we are 7-3 because we are obviously doing enough in the 3 other quarters.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

The Bills are a good team in the 1st, 3rd and 4th quarters.  I’m not making that big of a deal when we are 7-3 because we are obviously doing enough in the 3 other quarters.

The Bills are a horrible team in the 3rd quarter and have been since McDermott became HC.

This is not about their W-L record.  It's about coming out of halftime flat just about every week.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The Bills are a horrible team in the 3rd quarter and have been since McDermott became HC.

This is not about their W-L record.  It's about coming out of halftime flat just about every week.

Fine, I’ll be okay if the Chargers beat us next week as long as we play well in the 3rd quarter.

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Fine, I’ll be okay if the Chargers beat us next week as long as we play well in the 3rd quarter.

All you're doing is drawing the simpletons out.  Please stop.

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

All you're doing is drawing the simpletons out.  Please stop.

I think you’re making too big of a deal on this just because we are winning.  We are doing enough over a 4 quarter game to be 17-9 in the last two years.  

Plus, as you stated, we’ve actually been good scoring in the last 3 games in the 3rd.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think you’re making too big of a deal on this just because we are winning.  We are doing enough over a 4 quarter game to be 17-9 in the last two years.  

Plus, as you stated, we’ve actually been good scoring in the last 3 games in the 3rd.

But it's not just about scoring; we scored 7 on Sunday, which was better than the normal 0 or 3 we've consistently seen over the past few years.  But we gave up 19 and ended up losing a close game in which we had a commanding lead.

I am ecstatic that we're 7-3 going into the BYE.  

My concern is that building leads, then letting teams back in the game and having to either cling onto a one-score lead or relying on another Allen 4Q comeback is going to catch up with us.  We had a 23-9 lead on Sunday and the crappy 3rd quarter is a big reason we lost.

AZ is a very good team.  When you have good teams on the ropes, you need to keep pounding; not let them catch their breath.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

But it's not just about scoring; we scored 7 on Sunday, which was better than the normal 0 or 3 we've consistently seen over the past few years.  But we gave up 19 and ended up losing a close game in which we had a commanding lead.

I am ecstatic that we're 7-3 going into the BYE.  

My concern is that building leads, then letting teams back in the game and having to either cling onto a one-score lead or relying on another Allen 4Q comeback is going to catch up with us.  We had a 23-9 lead on Sunday and the crappy 3rd quarter is a big reason we lost.

AZ is a very good team.  When you have good teams on the ropes, you need to keep pounding; not let them catch their breath.

On defense this past week it felt like the levee broke and the FG stops they had in the first half opened right up.  Jackson going down gave them a target to pick on there in the 3rd as well.

3rd quarter

First drive - Stalled with a couple incompletions where i think he threw it away.

2nd drive - short field TD

3rd drive - nice tackle short of sticks followed by terrible punt

4th drive - killer offsetting penalty followed by the pick deep to peterson

I'm not entirely sure it was all playcalling or coaching.  Allen thought he could fit a ball in that he couldnt - receivers couldn't get open in man coverage - and arizona tackled well.  Two critical mistakes though with the INT and the poor punt.  I'm sure on the first drive there will be open players he didn't see too.  

On 11/15/2020 at 4:46 PM, Sweats said:

It's like they shoot their wad in the first half and then just fall flat

And that's ALL coaching. Belichick wouldn't tolerate this nonsense for 2 full years. We witness it every week. Are they eating pasta at halftime?  Is Daboll getting high?  Or is this team just mentally weak to start the 3rd. It's really getting annoying. 

• 3 weeks later...

It appears that the Bills have finally worked on making proper halftime adjustments.

Over the last three games, they have averaged 8 points/3rd quarter, which is tied for #1 in the NFL.

For the season, they've jumped up to #24 in the league with 3.9/3rd quarter, which is above their 2018 and 2019 season-ending average 3Q point total.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/3rd-quarter-points-per-game

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Gugny said:

It appears that the Bills have finally worked on making proper halftime adjustments.

Over the last three games, they have averaged 8 points/3rd quarter, which is tied for #1 in the NFL.

For the season, they've jumped up to #24 in the league with 3.9/3rd quarter, which is above their 2018 and 2019 season-ending average 3Q point total.

Four consecutive games with a 3rd Quarter offensive touchdown. I was never as convinced it was adjustments so much as it was sloppy execution coming out of half - particularly penalties. We were the most penalised team in the NFL going into last week in terms of number (though not yards) and that was a big part of it. For a while they seemed to come in bunches in the 3rd Quarter. Even yesterday in fairness after the INT from Hyde two penalties turned a potential 7 into 3. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

So the OP is eating crow???   :lol:

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Four consecutive games with a 3rd Quarter offensive touchdown. I was never as convinced it was adjustments so much as it was sloppy execution coming out of half - particularly penalties. We were the most penalised team in the NFL going into last week in terms of number (though not yards) and that was a big part of it. For a while they seemed to come in bunches in the 3rd Quarter. Even yesterday in fairness after the INT from Hyde two penalties turned a potential 7 into 3. 

Great point re: sloppiness/penalties.  

• 2 weeks later...

After Monday night's game, the Bills are now in 18th place for 3Q PPG.  Up to 4.7.  2019 ended with an average of 3.4 points/3Q.

In the last 3 games, they've averaged 10.3 points/3Q.  That is tied for #2 in the NFL with TEN.  KC is first, averaging 11 points/3Q in their last 3 games.

Whether it's adjustments or execution, it seems like this 3-year trend may finally be endng.

• Like (+1) 2

Surviving the third quarter has been my mantra all year.  The last three games have felt like a corner has been turned.  Keep it up Bills.  This season just keeps getting better.  Improvements in all aspects of the game.  DLINE, Kicking,  Pass defense, running defense, turnovers, ST, QB play, OLINE, everywhere.  Boy has this been fun.

• Like (+1) 1

With the offense I umderstand it.  Games when you have a lead your not changing too much.  The second half your going to adjust to the adjustment in a way.  Sunday Buffalo was the team who had to make a change and they did.

On 12/20/2020 at 9:09 AM, YoloinOhio said:

In their past three games, however, the Bills have outscored the San Francisco 49ers, Pittsburgh Steelers and Denver Broncos 61-31 in the second half, including 41-10 in the third quarter. After struggling in the third quarter in their first 11 games, when they had a -47 point differential, the Bills have dialed up their aggression out of halftime.

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/35450/bills-dominating-third-quarter-after-some-close-calls-early-in-the-season

14 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

In their past three games, however, the Bills have outscored the San Francisco 49ers, Pittsburgh Steelers and Denver Broncos 61-31 in the second half, including 41-10 in the third quarter. After struggling in the third quarter in their first 11 games, when they had a -47 point differential, the Bills have dialed up their aggression out of halftime.

https://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/35450/bills-dominating-third-quarter-after-some-close-calls-early-in-the-season

The sign of a great team...they look for deficiencies wherever they can find them and then they put in extra time and effort to turn them into efficiencies...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1