What does Darnold's performance say about Jordan Palmer?

cage

Personally, i don't think it says anything about Palmer. He has tutored Mahomes, Watson, Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, Joe Burrow, Kyle Allen and others. Sam Darnold was claimed by the so called experts to be a better talent than Josh Allen, as well as Mahomes; and Jordan didn't ruin Mahomes. I think it comes down to the raw talent that the player has and the big muscle between their ears that matters. 

In my opinion, i think the struggles that Darnold has been experiencing comes down to two factors.

1. The so called experts over evaluated his talent..... and

2. The dumpster fire AKA the NY Jets has not helped him grow as a player because their GM and coaching staff are an abomination to NFL coaching.

Just my take on things any way. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by BigPappy
  • Like (+1) 1

Darnold look shaky/antsy... Despite mechanics coaching that’s when stuff breaks down 

Also:

1) who knows if Gase is working as closely with Palmer as the bills appeared to Be. Maybe they have conflicting opinions 
2) Allen’s muscle memory was far less defined and intrinsic as he way more raw

3) its one game and Darnold is on a crappy team

4) maybe our guy is just more coachable 

also Palmer couldn’t coach himself into a decent qb. So there are certainly limits to everything.

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

2 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

and as we'll see, seldom will any two people end up with the same level of success.

and that's fine. provided that all are on an equal "playing field" That's the point of the social justice movement. Give everyone the same rules, same treatment, same access to the same tools and let them determine the outcome of their own life. Things may "appear" to be set up that way now, but they are not ACTUALLY that way.

This is going to hurt a little but oh well. I think if you put Darnold on the Bills and Allen on the Jets that the Bills still win this game. Darnold has zero weapons on that Jets offense, every time he throws its into tight windows. Not that I want to see Brees get injured because he is one of my favorite QB's but it would be interesting to see what Darnold could do with a offense like that. Its so hard to evaluate Darnold with him being on the Jets. 

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

He doesn’t have weapons and the o line was letting guys in the backfield.  Guy isn’t a miracle worker 

You couldn't be more correct.  The o-line was terrible.  Maybe just as poor as last season, despite all of the new additions.  His receivers were bad as well.  Between the drops and short arming attempts in traffic, Darnold was always behind the chains.  Darnold's situation is more of a function of the lack of surrounding player talent, poor coaching, poor front office, and an owner that apparently doesn't care.  We shouldn't expect a young QB to overcome all of that, regardless of how much help Palmer provides.

I can't get into mechanics etc, but how does Darnold scramble out of bounds and take a sack on Sunday and not get rid of the ball? How do you take a delay of game coming out of a TV timeout? Why bother doing 31 flavors when you can't get vanilla right?

I don't pretend to be able to see anything but AWFUL footwork, or recognize anything but the worst "bad habits"....but I know taking a sack you don't need to, or taking the dumbest of dumb penalties, isn't something you want or expect a 3rd year guy to be doing. Maybe he's just....completely lost and ruined at this point?

Edited by Golden*Wheels
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BarkLessWagMore said:

Also, I wouldn't give up on Darnold just yet. He has had zero stability and consistently awful coaching. He may be OK with the right situation.

3 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

I think it says more about Darnold's ability and desire to change.  Josh is driven, Darnold does not appear to be driven to be the best.

I second both of these emotions.

Josh Allen has proven himself to be very coachable, determined and dedicated to immediate improvements.  He's also on a better team with better coaching.

If Darnold is going to be successful - which I think he can and will be - the Jets need to find the right GM and HC like Buffalo has.  But it's clear that he's got to work harder.  He played like a rookie on Sunday.  Significant regression.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, snafu said:

I don’t recall one pass that Darnold threw in the first half where his feet were set.

That was mostly due to the fact that there was no pocket to throw from.  He doesn’t appear to have the ability to move away from trouble before throwing (or at least he doesn’t seem to think to do that). There were a lot of throws he made while taking a slight hop and it most definitely affected his accuracy. 

Yeah he was rattled, fidgety.  Seemed like a preseason game for the Jets and a regular season game for us.  Plus nobody noticed Kyle Williams in his Zimmer jersey out there making plays, which was cool because he's supposed to be retired.

After rewatching, in Sam's defense, his WR's had a TON of drops, especially in the 1st half. 

I would say the biggest impact of no preseason or scrimmages on week 1 was the receivers.  They struggled in every game from the Chiefs on Thursday all the way through to last nights games.  Not just miscoms between them and the QB's but flat out drops.  My conclusion is game catches and practice catches are a whole different animal, way more than I would have expected.   In a lot of the cases it's the head turn BEFORE the ball gets there because for the first time since last year they're actually going to get popped by a guy that isn't on their team.

40 minutes ago, BigPappy said:

and that's fine. provided that all are on an equal "playing field" That's the point of the social justice movement. Give everyone the same rules, same treatment, same access to the same tools and let them determine the outcome of their own life. Things may "appear" to be set up that way now, but they are not ACTUALLY that way.

I could not agree more! I am using this case with Sam vs Josh to show that people do not respond to circumstances the same way and certainly do not end up in the same place.

• Like (+1) 1