Sign in to follow this  
Estro

McDermott contract extension

I would've waited on this one given the length. I kind of just thought this was going to bring his contract to 3 or 4 years

I think McD's a good teacher of the game but he's far from one of the best on gameday and hasn't done well going up against the better coaches and teams. 

Hopefully it works out. As we've seen, you don't necessarily always have to have a top echelon coach to win it all. 

• Thanks! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Again since the money comes out of Terry's deep pockets and doesn't affect the salary cap, there's nothing not to like about extending McD.  And as for looking for a replacement because making the playoffs twice in 3 years but not winning a playoff game (again because of chicanery by the refs in the last game) isn't good enough..who are you pining-for who will be available in 2021?  Be specific, please.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

I'm thrilled about this.

I imagine 99.9% of fans are, too, and the .1% who aren't are ScottLaw and his in-laws.

Now go extend Beane and I'll feel incredibly excited about the future of this team.

As others have said, even if Allen turns out not to be the guy, having Beane and McDermott in place going forward will give me faith that the Bills will continue to be a winning and well-run organization.

• Like (+1) 4

I really wonder what Beane would have done in the 2017 draft if he had been with the Bills prior to it?  Would he have taken Mahomes?

Plus this is the first year in a while that the Pegulas are not paying multiple head coaches so they probably had a little extra in the coaching budget.

• Like (+1) 1

It makes sense, I don’t mean to state the obvious, we already have 17 pages of redundancy at this point. Nothing more to say other than it makes a lot of sense. Don’t think anyone can make a serious argument against not re-signing Coach McDermott. Although we as fans should expect a Lombardi at some point during the next 6 years, team is too loaded not to.

Now lock up the Buffalo Sabres coaches before they all sneak away...

Sneaking Away GIFs | Tenor

• Haha (+1) 1

Whooo Hooo

Happy for McClappy :)

So glad they made this hire and he likes it enough here to re sign.

Now get Mr Beane done :)

6 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I guess I'm a pessimist, but I'm not happy with this decision. 

I think he's a fairly average coach. The 2017 Bills were a very mediocre team that finished 9-7 and made the playoffs only through the grace of god. The 2019 Bills were a bit better, but finished 10-6 with an insanely easy schedule. 

The team is trending in the right direction, but if we don't take that next step I think we'll regret this decision. 

this smacks of attention seeking. Please turn in your Man card in at the exit. Your Bills fan cred has been revoked

• Haha (+1) 1

Very pleased with this news. Good job by the Pegula's not making this an issue.

I'm sure Beane will be done in short order.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dreadlox said:

Who was the last Bills HC to get an extension, Dick Jauron?

Billboard time ;)

Posted (edited)

Ice cold take. :lol:

McDfired.jpg

7 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I guess I'm a pessimist, but I'm not happy with this decision. 

I think he's a fairly average coach. The 2017 Bills were a very mediocre team that finished 9-7 and made the playoffs only through the grace of god. The 2019 Bills were a bit better, but finished 10-6 with an insanely easy schedule. 

The team is trending in the right direction, but if we don't take that next step I think we'll regret this decision. 

Do you wake up from a coma at the end of every football season, look at the standings, and form your opinions off that?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ice cold take. :lol:

McDfired.jpg

Do you wake up from a coma at the end of every football season, look at the standings, and form your opinions of that?

LOL!  That was written after 2 games (losses admittedly) into McD's 2nd season, after taking the Bills to the playoffs for the first time in 17 years.  I hope that writer bet the house on that one.

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere so far, but I wanted to point out that there was a clause in McDermott's new contract stating that any players joining the Bills roster going forward must have wrestled in either high school or college and must own at least three pieces of camouflage clothing. 

In all seriousness, I DID read that he's going to be paid per clap, so the contract could get pretty lucrative pretty quickly. 

Rest assured that Nathan Peterman will redeem himself and that Gabriel Davis will do big things in Buffalo.

McDermott, Peterman, and Davis: all guys I really coveted, who ended up in the Bills' org. 

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He was the moment. More so than Andy Dalton's pass or drafting Josh Allen or even the Pegulas buying the team. 

The moment this franchise hired Sean McDermott was the moment everything changed. I lobbied for us to fire Rex a year earlier to hire McDermott. I loved the hire when it came and I love the extension. He is the reason we are relevant again. 

I lobbied for McDermott, the year we hired Rex. 

• Like (+1) 1