McDermott contract extension

Estro

9 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Good news, but I'd wait on Beane. He's got a lot of high draft picks (Allen, Edmunds, Oliver, Ford) that still haven't played up to a level that would justify their draft position. Allen, in particular is still a long way away from where he needs to be to justify everything we gave up to acquire him.

Once again, as a Bills fan I'm really glad you're not running the show.

12 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Belichick rebuilt the Browns and had them trending in the right direction.  They went 11-5 in 1994 and WON a playoff game.  Then Modell announces the team is moving during the 1995 season.

Kind of a special set of circumstances there.

And McDermott and Bean are not rebuilding the Bills? 

We had Tyrod Freaking Taylor and still made the playoffs. 

it took 4 years for Bellyache to get to 1

it took to 3 years and we got 2.   

Then the emergency Refs who had not legal say interfere on the debacle in the EZ when the player did not take a knee.  

who knows how that may have changed the game!!! 

• Like (+1) 1

I am a tad surprised that they didn't tie the extensions together and do Beane at the same time. Personally I think McDermott is the best thing this franchise has and that Beane while he has done a good job needs the big payoff from one of his high picks becoming an elite level player to really get into that top territory but my assumption is that they are tied at the hip somewhat. 

2 minutes ago, TBBills said:

This is good for McDermott and should be seen as Allen better step up and take that last step.

Josh definitely needs to step up this year. Its year 3 so no excuses especially with a better supporting cast around him. But if things go south (offensively) it will be Daboll who gets the axe.

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

And McDermott and Bean are not rebuilding the Bills? 

We had Tyrod Freaking Taylor and still made the playoffs. 

it took 4 years for Bellyache to get to 1

it took to 3 years and we got 2.   

Then the emergency Refs who had not legal say interfere on the debacle in the EZ when the player did not take a knee.  

who knows how that may have changed the game!!! 

Ok, you got me.  McDermott is better than Belichick.

14 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Ok, you got me.  McDermott is better than Belichick.

Belichick is obviously a great coach and probably the GOAT HC with the dynasty he built with the Pats. But it's a lot easier to win when you have GOAT QB on your side. McDermott is just starting his coaching career and up to this point he hasn't had a really good QB yet. Hopefully Allen can turn out to be that guy.

9 hours ago, Chemical said:

no harm. But the risk is that the Bills continue to lose to good teams. Even if we are 9-3 next year but get blown out by SF, KC, and SEA while being out coached, there’s a good chance we have the next Marvin Lewis on our hands. 

edit: 9-3 through 12 games 

Without a crystal ball, there's no way to know what/like whom McD will be.  And again that Houston game was crooked.

But let's say the Bills didn't extend him and made him play out his contract, they make the playoffs the next 2 seasons but fail to win a playoff game.  Are you letting him walk?  And if so, who is your replacement?

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I did not want Rex by my guy in that hiring cycle was Hue Jackson (admittedly hindsight does not look good there) because I just wanted to keep Schwartz and hire a glorified offensive coordinator. My second preference was Kyle Shanahan which would have been a little better but Hue was my guy.  

By the London game of Rex's first year I wanted him gone and the two guys I thought were the best coordinators in the league were McDaniels (who I didn't want because Belichick always beats his guys) and McDermott. We were lucky the Panthers got all the way to the Superbowl in 2015. It pretty much took McDermott off a lot of teams' lists.

It is the first time the Bills have ever hirer the guy I wanted and the first time in fairness the guy I wanted has turned out well... ? (I wanted Mike Shanahan when we hired Chan, I wanted Lovie Smith when we hired Doug and I wanted Hue when we hired Rex). 

I thought they should have elevated Schwartz to HC and had him round out his coaching staff.  Never wanted Rex.  Thankfully it was a brief reign of error.

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

In the playoff game the off field replacement Refs who had no part of the game interfered with the as called TD.  or at minimum a safety. 

Yup.  Like I said, I've never seen that happen in any sport before.

47 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Good news, but I'd wait on Beane. He's got a lot of high draft picks (Allen, Edmunds, Oliver, Ford) that still haven't played up to a level that would justify their draft position. Allen, in particular is still a long way away from where he needs to be to justify everything we gave up to acquire him.

I like the move, but I can't argue with those that say we should have waited a year. If we don't take a big step up in scoring offense, some may question this move. After all, waiting a year wouldn't have hurt anything. Then again, the positive signal sent by the 1st HC contract extension in a long time might just light a fire in everyone's step. It didn't work in Jauron's case, but I already can see that McDermott is a better HC.

Josh doesn't have a long way to go.

Coach extensions or lack thereof are basically optics.  They don't impact the salary cap.  Owners give extensions to demonstrate faith in the direction of the team.  Owners withhold extensions to send a message that they want to see better results.  It's very rare that an owner sticks with a bad coach because of a contract - owners assume the risk that they'll have to pay (or partially pay) a coach they end up firing.

• Like (+1) 1

We can criticize McD's game management and other things.   But I look at the big picture.  Before McD, we never went to the playoffs.  After McD, we've been to the playoffs in 2 out of 3 seasons.

And we've got to assume McD's still learning.  Belichick had one winning season during his six years with the Browns.  He made the playoffs once in his first three years with the Patriots.  But he learned, he got better, and now some consider him the greatest NFL coach of all time.  I don't know how good McD will become but I do think he'll also get better.  

And I like the Steeler model - one head coach change every decade or so.  If you find a good coach - not necessarily the best coach - stick with him.  Continuity in the coaching staff is important.  

Extending McD is great news. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

My point is the extension is premature entering a pretty big year for this regime.... like I said before, how's everyone guna feel about McD if they go 8-8 and get swept by the Pats again? 

To this point I think he's a solid defensive HC who does a great job getting his players motivated on Sunday's.... I also think he struggles to understand the game offensively and is a below average in game coach. 

My first thought on hearing the news about McDermott's contract extension was one of joy and hopefulness in the future possibilities it could bring but after your

sage advice given here it has tempered my expectations. 

I recently was offered a promotion at work and I was planning on taking my new girlfriend out on a picnic to celebrate.  After digesting your wisdom on the

McDermott extension I have rethought this entire endeavor.  I mean the promotion could lead to working for a boss I don't like and that new girlfriend

could end up being a nag or even cheat on me (and who needs that headache!).  As for that picnic, screw that!  There could be ants!

Thanks for all you do Scott, you changed my life!

• Haha (+1) 1

McDermott got extended because he finally got the culture change we've been waiting 20 years for. The Bills have been  laughing stock and he turned us into a legitimate organization with respect around the league. He took on one of the hardest jobs in sports and delivered. Next he has to prove he can win. But the first battle has been won.

• Like (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

McDermott got extended because he finally got the culture change we've been waiting 20 years for. The Bills have been  laughing stock and he turned us into a legitimate organization with respect around the league. He took on one of the hardest jobs in sports and delivered. Next he has to prove he can win. But the first battle has been won.

Put another way: he makes his bosses look good.  Been awhile.

I'm pleased about the extension, but just wonder if it couldn't have waited another year.

I believe that the Pegulas finally made the right decision, when they hired McDermott, which in turn led to the right decision to hire Beane.

Between the two of them, they have assembled an impressive FO and Coaching staff. Much of the credit for the 'culture change' should go to all of those guys.

There may well be still some question marks over our OC, but the one thing I will say, is that if McDermott does think he's got it wrong, he won't hesitate to try and find a 'right' guy.

I don't think he needs to especially understand offense, as such, he just needs to know when he's found a guy who does understand it, and can implement it. Some of the 'tweaks' he's made, already look promising - particularly the O-Line coach.

As an aside, before the Ryan hire, what I really wanted, was to keep Schwartz. I was probably in the camp for Jackson, because of that, but anyone who would have come in and let Schwartz keep doing what he was, was going to be okay with me. I wouldn't have been too worried if they had made Schwartz the HC. It never ceases to amaze me that when a new HC is appointed, they throw away what parts were actually working.

Ultimately, I think we have probably finally got lucky, as even if Schwartz had still been here, we were probably going to have to redo the team overall, within a year or two, which is what has happened with McDermott and Beane.