McDermott contract extension

Estro

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Premature move and too long an extension. 

Would like to see them field a formidable offense and win ONE playoff game before handing out this kindve extension.... but the standards have been so low here McDermott is seen as untouchable. 

image.jpeg.e0fc89447eafc1f130d9c916df123ba4.jpeg

57 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You are the most sensitive human being on the board.  I make a perfectly reasonable post and Instead of countering it (because I’m much smarter than you and you can’t), you try to make it personal.  

You loved the Jauron extension.  You love the Fitz extension.  You love everything thing they do.  Which is fine,  you’re Easy money.  But you have no objectivity and are constantly wrong.  

And at no point have I once said he wasn’t a good coach. Stop being a soccer mom. 

I think a majority of people on here were against the Jauron and Fitz extensions or were in the middle about it. At that time most people wanted to wait until the end of the season to lock either in. McD on the other hand has proven that he deserves the security and faith a contract extension affords him. This team hadn't made the playoffs for 17 straight seasons and McD has taken this team to the playoffs 2 out of 3 years here. Even if you want to say the 2017 playoff run was luck it was still a 9-7 winning season. McD has produced 2 winning seasons in 3 years, compare that to the previous 17 when the team only had 2 winning seasons. 

I just don't see what there is to hate about this extension. It isn't like in 2 or 3 years if McD flops that the Pegulas aren't going to want to eat the contract and get a new coach. This isn't a premature player extension where it impacts the cap. The Bills don't have cheap owners anymore, they are more than willing to eat a few years of a head coaches contract.

2 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

Not a fan of this.

He hasn't proven anything yet.

In the 17 years before McD how many playoff appearances has the team made? Since McD got here the team has made 2 both with winning records. He has proven to be an elite defensive coach and built a culture and roster that has set up this team for success in the next 3 seasons. I fail to see what there isn't to like about it. There is no salary cap for coaches if the Bills go 6-10 the next two years and McD gets fire the Pegulas just eat the money.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Put it this way... if the Bills went 6-10 next year and fired McDermott he would be on the market for all of about 5 minutes.  

This is why saying it's premature makes no sense barring a complete collapse this year(non plague related) and who would want McDermott gone immediately. If they have confidence that they're going to want him beyond when his contract ends it makes perfect sense to extend him and not wait for other Coaches to set the market higher.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rubes said:

Great news!

Hopefully Chris Brown was not signed to a multi-year contract extension.

Seriously though, McDermott has made such a big impact on the organization behind-the-scenes and on the field.  This was the only decision to make

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Warcodered said:

This is why saying it's premature makes no sense barring a complete collapse this year(non plague related) and who would want McDermott gone immediately. If they have confidence that they're going to want him beyond when his contract ends it makes perfect sense to extend him and not wait for other Coaches to set the market higher.

In my view barring a total collapse (worse than 6 win seasons) McDermott is absolutely safe as houses for 2020, 2021 and 2022. Which means the first year I could imagine him on the hot seat is 2023.... after which it is two years to pay up if you wanna fire him. There is nothing to dislike about this extension.

• Like (+1) 4