McDermott contract extension

Estro

From listening to Sean in today’s PC, all the concerns about his short comings, he knows, and states that he needs to be better and not think he’s “got there” because he got a contract extension.

Some of us seem to look at his tenure in black and white terms, and because of that see no opportunity for him to get better as a coach, I think that is a short sighted way to think.

Looking at SM’s body of work to include what was here in every aspect when he arrived, he has moved mountains, this team is nothing like the organization during the seventeen years of futility we endured. Me, I’m happy as a pig in sh-t with how much better things are compared to the lump of mediocrity it was. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Too soon. Last year's schedule was a joke. He had no leverage to go anywhere else.  No reason to extend him now until you see what he does with this team.

At least 6 years is only half of the career INT total for Nathan Peterman but 5 more than the number of successful challenges. 

12 hours ago, Chemical said:

no harm. But the risk is that the Bills continue to lose to good teams. Even if we are 9-3 next year but get blown out by SF, KC, and SEA while being out coached, there’s a good chance we have the next Marvin Lewis on our hands. 

edit: 9-3 through 12 games 

For reference, McD's winning percentage against playoff level teams is .150 (3-17) and against non-playoff teams it is .733 (22-8)

You can argue that '17 team wasn't expected to do much and they overachieved.  Poor planning in 2018 left them with an almost historically bad offense and a 6-10 finish.

Last year I believe several posters sensed that Buffalo was playing a light schedule that ultimately was 30th weakest in strength of schedule.  At some point, good coaches have to beat good teams and McD hasn't done that yet.

Still don't see the harm this late into the league's year of waiting on McD.  Of course, the Pegula's have been playing coaching/GM roulette with both franchises and are desperate for continuity and less criticism.  McD provides them with that, but whether he's elite level remains to be seen. 

It's clear that, barring a significant injury to their starting QB, no excuses remain to being an 11 or 12 win team and winning playoff games.  The standard cannot be any less with the moves they've made for a few years to shape the team in his image.

How easily we forget the Peterman debacle and the first half against the dolphins coming out of a bye last season. Let’s celebrate!

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Oh, like, by this point Mahomes would’ve already won 3...:w00t:

this could be true. QB is kinda important and both of our wildcard -exit teams had below average ones. What would the best at the most important position have done?

I feel very different about this news to how I felt the day we extended Dick Jauron. This is like thinking you're nearly out of spending money for your vacation and then finding roll of 20s in your back pocket.

Jauron was like thinking you're finally over the flu and then finding out you have AIDS.

So glad to get him signed up, one less thing to worry about. Now let's get a contract under Beane's nose 

• Haha (+1) 2

Anybody who is questioning this extension for any reason clearly does not fully understand the context surrounding it.

Prior to McDermott's arrival, the Bills were a laughingstock for two decades. Their reputation around the league was absolutely AWFUL. Before McDermott showed up, the phrases "toxic culture" and "dumpster fire" were used by national outlets to describe the Bills. In just three seasons, McDermott COMPLETELY overhauled the team culture and reputation, such that players now WANT to come to Buffalo. The Bills are now universally acknowledged as being an up-and-coming, well-coached team with a top notch team culture. 

While the credit for turning over the roster should go to Brandon Beane, and the credit for being willing to pour money and resources into the team should go to the Pegulas, the credit for turning around the TEAM CULTURE should go almost entirely to Sean McDermott. Yes, Beane did a great job bringing in players that fit McDermott's vision, but it was coach McDermott himself who instilled the discipline, set the tone, and established what this team IS and WILL BE in the years to come. 

To just look at his record of 25-23 or to just look at the Bills offensive performance, or his occasional game day blunders, or whatever other aspects of his resume one wants to look at to conclude that the extension was premature or unwarranted, is to completely ignore or disregard the surrounding context. Sean McDermott, in just three years, turned the Bills from perpetual laughingstocks with a toxic culture into perpetual contenders with an elite team culture. It's impossible to overstate what a complete 180 the Bills organization has done under his leadership. 

He deserves every penny, and the extension did not come a moment too soon.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The reason this is important is because the Pegulas are now realizing how different a franchise can be with truly great management. Their Bills (Great) and Sabres (horrible) experiences have shown them that. So I think they understand you can’t get into contract years with high performing management or you may lose them, just like players. Good job on McD. 

21 hours ago, Logic said:

Sean McDermott, in just three years, turned the Bills from perpetual laughingstocks with a toxic culture into perpetual contenders with an elite team culture. It's impossible to overstate what a complete 180 the Bills organization has done under his leadership.

True. He has now raised us to Can't Win the Big One status.

I LOVE what he's done in getting us to playoffs 2 out of last 3 years.  Losing 2 playoff games there for the taking concerns me however.

I will believe he is for sure THE GUY when we win a playoff game at home.

23 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I LOVE what he's done in getting us to playoffs 2 out of last 3 years.  Losing 2 playoff games there for the taking concerns me however.

I think we’ll get there man. Bills are a powerhouse, just need Allen to step up and be the man.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Yeah, I mean a guy who can’t come in and win the Super Bowl in a year or two — you’ve got to think about whether you’ve made a mistake here if you’re the Pegulas. 

1 hour ago, eball said:

Yeah, I mean a guy who can’t come in and win the Super Bowl in a year or two — you’ve got to think about whether you’ve made a mistake here if you’re the Pegulas. 

Actually it's 3 going on 4.

We'll find out if they made a mistake in the coming years.

We choked vs.Carolina In 2017 and even more so last year. We were up 16-0 with 5 to play in 3rd only to come from ahead to lose.  Don't make a habit of it.

Hopefully this year if we get in we can win a game or 2 or what the neck 3.

I LOVE a lot of what Coach has done so far. Now it's time to kick it up a notch and win a playoff game.

Since passing efficiency is the #1 stat that correlates with winning in the regular season, Coaching records and situations should be judged based on QB play for context. 

For context, McDermott hasn't had better than the 20th most efficient passing offense (2017) and they've ranked 32nd and 26th in Allen's 2 years here. At that level of quarterbacking, Buffalo is 25-23 with 2 playoff appearances. I don't expect the team to compete for super bowls unless the QB play gets better and in a hurry, but the extension is well warranted because McDermott is punching above the QB weight class.

More simply put, he gets the most out of the tram, they play hard and have a great defense. This isn't difficult.

I've always compared the performance to pre-Wilson Seattle, though McDermott's performance is actually a little better than that.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm as big of a McD fan as anyone but even I have to admit this doesn't make a lot of sense. They had him under contract for two more years and we still don't know if either of our QBs are good. If they aren't and this becomes an ongoing blind spot that's a hell of a commitment for 7-10 wins every year. Outside of the QB situation he's been excellent. Really hope this works out.   

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1