Ed Oliver interview - NFL put him in the drug program?

YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

@HamSandwhich, my question to you is: how do you know how common it is to have "nothing escalate" when being stopped by a police officer? 

How do you tell whether it's systemic or not?

You believe it isn't.  Others believe it is, because their experience and that of their friends support that belief.

What actually happens to an officer when a complaint is made and found justified by an internal police review board (which is how citizen complaints are usually handled)?

No, because there are not videos everywhere showing these happening daily. I know because there are scant videos only showing a narrative and only showing the parts that are the pinnacle of the altercation and nothing else. That shows the bias, to cause people to see it the way they want you to and to illicit visceral feelings people fall for all of the time rather than take a step back and think rationally before judging. 

You can also look at hard statistics that are put out there by the DOJ in regards to killings at the hands of police or those who are more likely to commit violent crimes, etc. The fact that there are only a handful of videos vs millions of stops over a decade says that the large amount of stops are uneventful and go just fine. It’s also common sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's not his agent's responsibility--it's on Oliver to secure an exemption from the league.  He knows the rules.  The league makes it incumbent on the players to get one.  

His agent gets him his money--he's not a nanny or a parent for grown man.

Unless his agent is new to the business, he should at least know what meds Oliver is on and make sure he's in compliance with the NFL.  Ultimately it falls on Oliver but a good agent should be on top of it.  They're more nannies than you think.

But in any case, I don't see how he can still be in the program if he tested negative for everything.  I suspect he was talking about initially being put in it after getting arrested.

Edited by Doc

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

Unless his agent is new to the business, he should at least know what meds Oliver is on and make sure he's in compliance with the NFL.  Ultimately it falls on Oliver but a good agent should be on top of it.  They're more nannies than you think.

But in any case, I don't see how he can still be in the program if he tested negative for everything.  I suspect he was talking about initially being put in it after getting arrested.

Does he seem like a guy who needs a nanny?  Not to me.

He should at least be able to read the banned substance list that gets hammered into every player ever year.  Certainly his coaching staff should be more on top of that than some agent.  Wouldn't the staff know every player's prescription med list and who needed an exemption?  They absolutely should.

I though it was weird that Oliver didn't protest the circumstances of his arrest until the charges were dropped. 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Does he seem like a guy who needs a nanny?  Not to me.

He should at least be able to read the banned substance list that gets hammered into every player ever year.  Certainly his coaching staff should be more on top of that than some agent.  Wouldn't the staff know every player's prescription med list and who needed an exemption?  They absolutely should.

I though it was weird that Oliver didn't protest the circumstances of his arrest until the charges were dropped. 

Most rookies need nannies/someone to look out for them.  There's so much going on that first year it's overwhelming.  Finding out what prescription medication(s) a player takes isn't an obscure or extraordinary task for an agent and can help his client avoid suspension.  And if I'm not mistaken, an agent takes a hit money-wise if a player is suspended, since their contracts are typically a percentage of the money their client earns, so there's some skin in the game for them.

As for not protesting the circumstances, it's likely his agent/lawyer told him not to say anything until he was cleared.  He played this whole thing perfectly and I commend him for it. 

Edited by Doc

35 minutes ago, Logic said:

Just popped in here to see how this conversation had evolved over 15 pages.

I see we've reached the "people denying that systemic racism in policing exists" stage.

Always a fun one.

"Structural/systemic/institutional racism" are just fancy terms used to describe disparate impact, which piggy backs off the vitriol of intentional racism to give the impression that they are the same. They are not.  

With that in mind, if you think there is not "systemic racism" in our police, you are wrong.  Where things get off track is the belief that because there is a disparate impact the police deserve to be treated like "racists," in the classic sense of the term. 

On 8/10/2020 at 11:35 AM, Don Otreply said:

Right over your head Ktulu, he blew a 0.0, and got arrested in spite of his obvious innocence, and taken to jail, for no reason/being black while driving, that you don’t see it is truly amazing...if Ed was white he is let go on the road where he was pulled over. 

Theres no evidence race was a factor . None ...zero nothing....

There are many other ways to be influenced besides alcohol. Drugs and narcotics for one, also illegal.

He was effected by drugs. Very simple.

6 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

There are many other ways to be influenced besides alcohol. Drugs and narcotics for one, also illegal.

Except he wasn't. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Most rookies need nannies/someone to look out for them.  There's so much going on that first year it's overwhelming.  Finding out what prescription medication(s) a player takes isn't an obscure or extraordinary task for an agent and can help his client avoid suspension.  And if I'm not mistaken, an agent takes a hit money-wise if a player is suspended, since their contracts are typically a percentage of the money their client earns, so there's some skin in the game for them.

As for not protesting the circumstances, it's likely his agent/lawyer told him not to say nothing until he was cleared.  He played this whole thing perfectly and I commend him for it. 

He wasn’t a rookie this offseason. 

The team physician knows his med list so the FO should make sure he has that paper.  

Why would a lawyer recommend that if they knew he would test negative?  

8 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Evidently not in a material way, being no charges were levied against the person of interest. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is standard legal advice to not comment publicly while live charges are pending. 

Not really.  Not if you know it’s not a righteous bust.  Especially in today’s climate 

If you’re sweating out the test results, sure...

Edited by Mr. WEO

28 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I hope that is your excuse for that grammar too. 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not really.  Not if you know it’s not a righteous bust.  Especially in today’s climate 

Nah. It really is what any lawyer worth their salt would advise. And I said this weeks ago before he was cleared. Innocent or guilty you say nothing while live charges are pending. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He wasn’t a rookie this offseason. 

The team physician knows his med list so the FO should make sure he has that paper.  

Why would a lawyer recommend that if they knew he would test negative?  

He was a rookie when he met his agent, who would have asked about medication and he would have said "we need to get you a TUE and keep up with it."  And I knew I should have added "...and many non-rookies also need nannies..."

The lawyer knew it was negative...when he got the lab results, which took awhile.  There probably wasn't much time between them finding out the lab results and the case being dismissed for Oliver to start protesting. 

But what's so weird about him not commenting?  Oh wait...

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

And there it is.  You mad he got off, bro?

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I hope that is your excuse for that grammar too. 

Nah. It really is what any lawyer worth their salt would advise. And I said this weeks ago before he was cleared. Innocent or guilty you say nothing while live charges are pending. 

That may have been true before George Floyd (which was soon after Oliver’s attest). There’s no penalty for speaking out.  If I’m a public figure and I know there is no evidence and that therefore the case is bogus, I would be all over the public via social media.  It’s risk free and would be totally appropriate for the current national discussion.  

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

That may have been true before George Floyd (which was soon after Oliver’s attest). There’s no penalty for speaking out.  If I’m a public figure and I know there is no evidence and that therefore the case is bogus, I would be all over the public via social media.  It’s risk free and would be totally appropriate for the current national discussion.  

Well if I was your attorney I'd be telling you that would be foolish. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

He was a rookie when he met his agent, who would have asked about medication and he would have said "we need to get you a TUE and keep up with it."  And I knew I should have added "...and many non-rookies also need nannies..."

The lawyer knew it was negative...when he got the lab results, which took awhile.  There probably wasn't much time between them finding out the lab results and the case being dismissed for Oliver to start protesting. 

But what's so weird about him not commenting?  Oh wait...

And there it is.  You mad he got off, bro?

Mad? Lol that’s messed up doc.  I really don’t care other than no he’s available to do his job.  I’m not into the hero worship and the “like/hate” stuff that keeps you going.

Again, it’s incumbent on the player, medical staff and coaching staff to know who needs what to be eligible to play.  A medical staff that cannot see an obvious problem with a players need list isn’t doing its job.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Well if I was your attorney I'd be telling you that would be foolish. 

Why? What is the risk?

Greg Tompsett (@GregTompsett) Tweeted:
That size isn’t supposed to move that way 
?????
#GoBills #BillsMafia

Didn't want to start a thread for this so I thought I'd just put it here. Not sure if this was posted anywhere.

Does he look impaired to you? ?

Man, this kid can move for a man his size!

So glad we got him when we did, but does anyone think Quinnen Williams would have been the pick if he were available at the time. It's early but Ed has proven to be the better DT thus far.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Mad? Lol that’s messed up doc.  I really don’t care other than no he’s available to do his job.  I’m not into the hero worship and the “like/hate” stuff that keeps you going.

Again, it’s incumbent on the player, medical staff and coaching staff to know who needs what to be eligible to play.  A medical staff that cannot see an obvious problem with a players need list isn’t doing its job.

You keep saying that.  Then you whip out lines like "he didn't protest the circumstances of his arrest" because he's "sweating out the test results" in the face of negative blood tests, and it belies your words.  We already know that any Bills player being charged with something is enough for you to convict him but even with total exoneration, you're still at it.  I guess the question is: do you think they fudged his test results?  That can be the only explanation. 

1 minute ago, Doc said:

You keep saying that.  Then you whip out lines like "he didn't protest the circumstances of his arrest" because he's "sweating out the test results" in the face of negative blood tests, and it belies your words.  We already know that any Bills player being charged with something is enough for you to convict him but even with total exoneration, you're still at it.  I guess the question is: do you think they fudged his test results?  That can be the only explanation. 

Fudged his results so they would be negative and have to drop the charges??

Youve left the rails again doc...

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why? What is the risk?

1. Reputation - immediately ranting on social media makes you look guilty;

2. It goes down extremely badly with law enforcement and you can bet your bottom dollar it puts you on the hit list. It shouldn't be the reality but it is. Calling them out in public to embarrass them is not wise. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Fudged his results so they would be negative and have to drop the charges??

Youve left the rails again doc...

:lol:

Let me put this another way (for everyone else, since...).  Oliver knows he hasn't been drinking or doing drugs.  He gets arrested and tested anyway because someone called in a report and "DUI experts" think he's impaired by something other than alcohol.  Tell me then, why would he be sweating out test results...which ultimately came back negative?

I don't think Ed should have been arrested and I'm glad the charges were dropped. I think it was wrong of the NFL to force him into a program before the results of the legal proceedings were in. And this kid definitely does not need any type of babysitter, ridiculous to even suggest it. 

But, this does not appear to be racially motivated at all. He wasn't pulled over because he was black, he was pulled over because someone told the cops that he was driving erratically (swerving) and maybe the cops witnessed it themselves as well. And I can understand the cops being cautious of putting a possibly intoxicated driver back on the road. Maybe the breathalyzer wan't working, maybe he's on drugs, not alcohol, they could have thought. So, a major inconvenience for Ed, but not a complete miscarriage of justice. So, I don't blame the cops too much. What if he had been drunk or on drugs and went on to crash his car, injuring someone? Then people would say to the cops, you pulled him over and then let him back on the road? But, big props to Ed for handling the situation so maturely.

The bone I have to pick, once again, is with the media. I watched the full interview with Ed. He spoke very openly and maturely about the situation, with really good perspective (and some good advice from Mom). Made me respect the kid even more.

But here are the headlines from just the main page of TBD (so this is just the sports reporters, not even the more politically-minded news outlets):

Bills' Ed Oliver says he felt 'violated' and 'guilty until proven innocent' after arrest (Buff news)

When Bills’ Ed Oliver watched George Floyd’s death he thought: ‘That could have been me’ (Syracuse Post)

Bills DT Ed Oliver says felt “violated” by his arrest in Houston (WIBV-TV)

Bills Ed Oliver on arrest: ‘I felt I was guilty until proven innocent, not innocent until proven guilty’ (WGRZ-TV)

Ed Oliver: George Floyd could have been me (WROC-TV)

Ed Oliver: 'I felt like I was guilty and had to prove my innocence' (WHAM-TV)

Bills' Ed Oliver says he feels violated by unwarranted arrest (ESPN)

See how they pepper the headlines with "George Floyd" "Violated" "Guilty until proven innocent," making this once again a story about race (with no evidence that it had anything to do with race). Now, at least the headlines above used real quotes from Ed, even though the reporters are the ones who asked him all of the questions regarding race, to get those answers.

But then there is this headline from the D&C, which is a complete and utter twisting of a quote to fit an agenda:

Ed Oliver says being a Black man very well could have been why he was arrested (Roch D&C)

What did Ed actually say when asked if his arrest had anything to do with him being black:

Well, I’m not sure, but to be honest in Montgomery County, they have a no-refusal law so you can’t tell them, ‘No I don’t want to go to jail,’” he said. “That’s how it was explained to me so I don’t know. Maybe so, but the law in Montgomery County, I would hope to believe that whatever color you are, you’re going to jail."

How does "I'm not sure" "I don't know" "Maybe, but I would hope to believe that whatever color you are, you're going to jail" turn into "Being a Black man very well could have been why he was arrested"?

Quick shout out: Cheers to writers Matt Bove and Carly Mascitti for not race baiting with their headlines! The only two on the front page of TBD.

Bills DT Ed Oliver shares perspective gained following dropped DWI charges (WKBW-TV)

Bills defensive tackle Ed Oliver on dropped DWI charges (WHEC-TV)

Folks, we need to stop being triggered by the media and social media, stop fighting each other. It's time to sit down and talk, work together, not assume that half the country is ignorant and racist. Is there still racism today? Yes, there is. Do we need to continue calling out true racism whenever it rears its ugly head? Absolutely. But there is no systemic racism. That is a made up term that means absolutely nothing. Every time you use it, you are just saying "Everyone is a racist." Which is the furtherest thing from the truth. Think about and look into where all these current catch phrases come from. Did any of you think these up on your own, "systemic racism" "toxic masculinity" "social distancing" "the patriarchy" "the new normal" etc., etc. Take some time to think about where your words and ideas are coming from. These phrases don't just spring up from the grassroots.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

1. Reputation - immediately ranting on social media makes you look guilty;

2. It goes down extremely badly with law enforcement and you can bet your bottom dollar it puts you on the hit list. It shouldn't be the reality but it is. Calling them out in public to embarrass them is not wise. 

"Hit list"?  He was already "hit" in an arrest that he knew was dubious right away.  And silence in the face of this (especially now) does not make you look less "guilty".  With no evidence, there is no "hit".  Case evaporated. If he knew this from day one, there is absolutely no risk in. taking the public offensive against the police and the DA.  There is zero argument for advocating he keep silent.

Michale Bennett wasted little time in publicly attacking his arrest in Las Vegas as an injustice----and that was 3 years ago, when the climate for speaking out on social media was MUCH different than it is now--especially in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

:lol:

Let me put this another way (for everyone else, since...).  Oliver knows he hasn't been drinking or doing drugs.  He gets arrested and tested anyway because someone called in a report and "DUI experts" think he's impaired by something other than alcohol.  Tell me then, why would he be sweating out test results...which ultimately came back negative?

He was taking Adderall, a banned substance in the NFL and a substance that would qualify in Texas as DUI, which would also make the gun charge stick.  

This is not hard to theorize doc.

But tell us all again how cops "fudge" data to torpedo the DA's cases lol.

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Evidently not in a material way, being no charges were levied against the person of interest. 

Its a difficult charge to prove, especially MJ and certain other legal over the counter products. The levels indicating high levels in the blood often subside by the time a test roles around. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was taking Adderall, a banned substance in the NFL and a substance that would qualify in Texas as DUI, which would also make the gun charge stick.  

Again, I was asking you if that's what you were getting at by claiming he was sweating the results.  Now I see you're talking about the Adderall.  Fair enough.

Considering they didn't even find that in his system, he must not have taken any in at least 4 days.  He would know when he last took it so, again, no need to sweat. 

Now if they had found it in his system (likely at-worst in the therapeutic range and not above), it would have been interesting to see how his lawyer would have fought it.  I still believe he would have gotten it thrown out which is why I was saying all along that it all depended on his BAC.  But we'll never know now.

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

Again, I was asking you if that's what you were getting at by claiming he was sweating the results.  Now I see you're talking about the Adderall.  Fair enough.

Considering they didn't even find that in his system, he must not have taken any in at least 4 days.  He would know when he last took it so, again, no need to sweat. 

Now if they had found it in his system (likely at-worst in the therapeutic range and not above), it would have been interesting to see how his lawyer would have fought it.  I still believe he would have gotten it thrown out which is why I was saying all along that it all depended on his BAC.  But we'll never know now.

The report said he quickly informed him he takes Adderall.  So yes, that's why he would be sweating it and not speaking out.  

How would he get it "thrown out"?  I don't think the law allows an Adderall "minimum level".

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

The report said he quickly informed him he takes Adderall.  So yes, that's why he would be sweating it and not speaking out.  

How would he get it "thrown out"?  I don't think the law allows an Adderall "minimum level".

At best he would have been sweating it out for a few hours to days until he talked to his lawyer, who would've asked him when he last took Adderall and then told him "you're good."  More likely he already knew, which is why he offered it up.

And how would he get it thrown out?  I don't know, how do people get, say, handjobs in massage parlors or cocaine charges thrown out?  Now you're suddenly out of ideas?

16 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

The only thing normal with 2020 so far is that Weo and Doc are at odds about an off-the-field issue that happened during the offseason. 

Well, at least this off-the-field incident that correctly turned in the Bills player's favor happened recently...

24 minutes ago, Doc said:

At best he would have been sweating it out for a few hours to days until he talked to his lawyer, who would've asked him when he last took Adderall and then told him "you're good."  More likely he already knew, which is why he offered it up.

And how would he get it thrown out?  I don't know, how do people get, say, handjobs in massage parlors or cocaine charges thrown out?  Now you're suddenly out of ideas?

You know the answer about krafts case so why ask?  It was explained to you from the week after that story broke and countless times since.

The stop and search were tossed. You see,everyone on the planet but you understood early on how that would get challenged and tossed.

Ideas?  Hmm maybe he could show them his doctors note?

Edited by Mr. WEO

54 minutes ago, Captain_Quint said:

Let's not even mention those poor police that Shady stomped on!

No need.  They're footnotes.

50 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You know the answer about krafts case so why ask?  It was explained to you from the week after that story broke and countless times since.

The stop and search were tossed. You see,everyone on the planet but you understood early on how that would get challenged and tossed.

Ideas?  Hmm maybe he could show them his doctors note?

Doctor's note?  That the best you got. 

What about technicalities?  Overzealous cops?  That he'd been on the drug for years and it helps him focus?

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

"Hit list"?  He was already "hit" in an arrest that he knew was dubious right away.  And silence in the face of this (especially now) does not make you look less "guilty".  With no evidence, there is no "hit".  Case evaporated. If he knew this from day one, there is absolutely no risk in. taking the public offensive against the police and the DA.  There is zero argument for advocating he keep silent.

Michale Bennett wasted little time in publicly attacking his arrest in Las Vegas as an injustice----and that was 3 years ago, when the climate for speaking out on social media was MUCH different than it is now--especially in the NFL.

Michael Bennett is hardly a solid and stable role model. You can think it is too cautious and risk averse if you wish but I guarantee that his attorney advised him to say nothing. If you are looking at that as somehow implicating him you are way, way off.