Ed Oliver interview - NFL put him in the drug program?

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

He should really stop chewing. Guy I know had half his face and throat cut away due to cancer, died a few years later.

He should stop drinking beer.  I know several people who have died to alcoholism.  He should really stop driving, I know several people who died in car accidents. 

I dipped for 20+ years.  Teeth, mouth, face and throat are in fine condition.  I’m sure he realizes that there are consequences to dipping.  It’s a chance people take

Just now, FireChans said:

If you didn’t comply, you would also have been charged with resisting arrest and likely gotten roughed up. 

I’ve told more than 1 cop they were being #######s.  Worst that happened to me was placed in handcuffs. 

Sucks he had to go through that and it sucks that police have to be jerks sometimes. I've had experiences with great cops and I've had experience with horrible cops.

In my opinion if he blew 0.0 they should have let him go right there.

But I'm glad everything is appearing to work out just fine for Oliver.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He should stop drinking beer.  I know several people who have died to alcoholism.  He should really stop driving, I know several people who died in car accidents. 

I dipped for 20+ years.  Teeth, mouth, face and throat are in fine condition.  I’m sure he realizes that there are consequences to dipping.  It’s a chance people take

I’ve told more than 1 cop they were being #######s.  Worst that happened to me was placed in handcuffs. 

Yeah - But it sounds like you still complied. 

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He blew a 0.0.  The cop said he didn’t believe him and arrested him.  Is that special treatment?  

As i've stated before just because you blow a 0.0 doesn't mean you will not be arrested. I'm not sure if he got special treatment but when it comes to situations like this I always get that gut feeling that he did.

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He should stop riding horses.  Christopher Reeve...

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

As i've stated before just because you blow a 0.0 doesn't mean you will not be arrested. I'm not sure if he got special treatment but when it comes to situations like this I always get that gut feeling that he did.

What special treatment does your gut tell you he received?

Being arrested for blowing a 0.0 is special treatment?

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

Keep your hands on the wheel AND have your DL and registration in your hands.  That's what I do.  

Keep yours eyes on the road and hands upon the wheel!

I used to officiate HS and D2/3 college ball.  A number of my fellow officials were either sheriffs or troopers.  In the whole they ALWAYS reiterated that if they walk up and see your hands on the wheel and you acting like you have a brain you are automatically going to get some slack depending on the severity of what you get pulled over for.  Food for thought.  It worked every time for me and I never heard otherwise from the people I told.  Respect goes a LONG way......of course I am white so there is that.  Sadly.

Edited by Kwai San
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Sucks he had to go through that and it sucks that police have to be jerks sometimes. I've had experiences with great cops and I've had experience with horrible cops.

In my opinion if he blew 0.0 they should have let him go right there.

But I'm glad everything is appearing to work out just fine for Oliver.

So you feel cops should base everything off of a machine that might not be working correctly or calibrated properly? You don't think they should take into account that another driver called in saying he was driving erratically in a construction zone or the beer can between his legs or the stumbling during the sobriety test? 

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

That sucks for Oliver but IF he was drifting between lanes like the citizen said he was, then what do you expect.  Didn't he have an open beer can between his legs when he was pulled over?  

Not to be pulled over.  Going 20 mph over the speed limit and weaving through traffic is going with the flow in Houston.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

So you feel cops should base everything off of a machine that might not be working correctly or calibrated properly? You don't think they should take into account that another driver called in saying he was driving erratically in a construction zone or the beer can between his legs or the stumbling during the sobriety test? 

People can be under the influence of substances that are not alcohol...

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

If you treat a cop like your enemy, you will quickly become theirs.

If you are taught your whole life that the police are the enemy, you will think that the police are your enemy.

If you are taught your whole life that police are pulling you over because of the color of your skin, you will think the police are pulling you over because of the color of your skin. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

So they should arrest him because of hearsay? Or the beer can full of tabacoo spit? Or because he stumbled during the line walking portion after they made him do it again without shoes in the middle of the night? And is it not on the police to have their equipment calibrated?

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Not to be pulled over.  Going 20 mph over the speed limit and weaving through traffic is going with the flow in Houston.

LOL.  And Oliver was never cited for any driving violation (speeding, careless & reckless, etc.).  Just the DWI, which means no law enforcement officer even saw this alleged "bad driving."  It's just shady.

• Like (+1) 4

48 minutes ago, Doc said:

Does this happen to white drivers as well?  

Yes. It happened to me (I’m white) after a  CFB game. Except the white officer had my car impounded and dropped me off at a shady convience  store Where I spent the night on a picnic table before hiking two miles to the impound yard the next morning.

24 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Did you ever resist being put in handcuffs?

No.  If you read my follow up response to your selected quote I said that I wouldn’t comply as I originally did.  I’d still comply, I’d just have some choice words for him rather than keeping my mouth shut.

21 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Yeah - But it sounds like you still complied. 

Yes, I wouldn’t have complied in the same manner and I did prior to a cop telling me he didn’t believe me after blowing a 0.0

Why are parts of this discussion so binary.  There are levels of uncooperative not just cooperative and resisting handcuffs.  I think I would have been worse than Ed. 

@Call_Of_Ktulu I'm not sure if youre not reading the whole thread but its been pointed out several times that the beer can was for spit.  How it got empty is a different story but its pretty clear now he wasn't drinking it when they pulled him over.  

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Yes. That is how police encounters work. Under any circumstance, you have to comply. If you do not, the police will use the appropriate amount of force to achieve compliance. Once force is introduced, the situation becomes unpredictable and you risk serious injury and/or death.  That is true regardless of race, and the suggestion that it is "odd" that failure to comply could result in serious injury is absurd. Does anyone really believe they can say "no" to the police? 

I don’t believe you can.

i don’t know if you think that may sometimes be a problem. Or if you think sometimes they do use inappropriate force.

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

No.  If you read my follow up response to your selected quote I said that I wouldn’t comply as I originally did.  I’d still comply, I’d just have some choice words for him rather than keeping my mouth shut.

Yes, I wouldn’t have complied in the same manner and I did prior to a cop telling me he didn’t believe me after blowing a 0.0

I don't really follow what you are saying, but I think a pretty significant piece is missing from what you are saying: the cops were arresting him for suspicion of being under the influence of alcohol (that may have been the original reason they pulled him over); they were arresting him for being under the influence of illicit substances, hence they clean blood test was the deciding factor. The cops would have had that conversation with Ed Oliver. He would have understood that blowing a 0.0 wasn't going to be enough to get him off. 

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t believe you can.

i don’t know if you think that may sometimes be a problem. Or if you think sometimes they do use inappropriate force.

I don't follow what your saying here.  

19 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I think there are way more jerks out there calling in bogus reports than breathalyzers that show 0.0 when someone is drunk.  

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I don't really follow what you are saying, but I think a pretty significant piece is missing from what you are saying: the cops were arresting him for suspicion of being under the influence of alcohol (that may have been the original reason they pulled him over); they were arresting him for being under the influence of illicit substances, hence they clean blood test was the deciding factor. The cops would have had that conversation with Ed Oliver. He would have understood that blowing a 0.0 wasn't going to be enough to get him off. 

I don't follow what your saying here.  

You don’t follow.  I can live with that.

Just now, NewEra said:

I think there are way more jerks out there calling in bogus reports than breathalyzers that show 0.0 when someone is drunk.  

My wife calls in erratic drivers. It makes me immeasurably angry. Outside extreme circumstances, people should not be calling in bad drivers. 

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You don’t follow.  I can live with that.

At the risk of sounding snarky, when I say "I don't follow," I mean that the words you are using are unclear. I don't understand the point you are trying to convey.