Jameis Winston signing 1-year deal with Saints

There’s a other QB from the NFC south looking for a job and a certain team in the AFC east that didn’t draft a QB......

(and yes I know it probably won’t happen, it’s still fun to think about the dynamic of Cam and Belichick trying to get along)

That is pretty surprising.  I can not believe that there is no team out of the 32 that will give him a chance to come in and compete for the starting job.  Jameis has game.  Sure he throws some picks, but he is not afraid to push it up the field.  Way too many cautious QB's in the NFL.  With the right coaching he can shine even brighter.  I would be more excited about him in Chicago then Trubisky and Foles.  And of course I would take him over Tyrod in LA.  (never a big Tyrod fan like some of you on here) But they have Herbert as the Rivers heir apparent.  I would have thought Jacksonville would have given him a chance to compete for the starting job verse Minshew.  But Jacksonville is just a very odd organization which really wants to be in London anyways.  

So with Jameis signed where if anywhere does Cam land?  I can only think of potentially Jacksonville or New England to compete for a starting role.  Maybe Tennessee to back up Tannehill.  Who is the Titans back up with Mariotta gone anyways?  How about Arizona to back up Kyler Murray?  Who is the Cardinals backup right now?  Not a lot out there right now when it comes down to it.  Sorry Cam.  Too bad so sad.  You can parade around your house in your Elton John outfits.  He he

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

There’s a other QB from the NFC south looking for a job and a certain team in the AFC east that didn’t draft a QB......

(and yes I know it probably won’t happen, it’s still fun to think about the dynamic of Cam and Belichick trying to get along)

I believe Belichick will either grab Brisset out of Indy or just go with what they have.

• Like (+1) 1

Winston did throw for over 5,000 yards last year, but is a pick machine.

With the right help, he could have a great career.  Payton could be that guy.  I love what Taysom Hill can do, but don’t buy he’s a starting QB in this league.

I do think he’d be a better option than what they have in NE and like he’s not going there.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Part of me feels like Belichick would love to show everyone that he was responsible for New England's**** success, not Brady, and that he can win with any QB on his roster....

6 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Part of me feels like Belichick would love to show everyone that he was responsible for New England's**** success, not Brady, and that he can win with any QB on his roster....

I have no doubt this is exactly what he's thinking.  He drafted Stidham last year, ostensibly thinking he could replace Brady.  We'll see about that one.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, shane nelson said:

Good, reduces another option for NE!

From a purely academic perspective the marriage of Winston and Belichick would have been of great interest to me.  Could BB reign in the very talented, but highly erratic Jameis Winston?  Peyton offers a similar experience, but he’s not #1 down there so his development won’t be job 1. 

10 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That is pretty surprising.  I can not believe that there is no team out of the 32 that will give him a chance to come in and compete for the starting job.  Jameis has game.  Sure he throws some picks, but he is not afraid to push it up the field.  Way too many cautious QB's in the NFL.  With the right coaching he can shine even brighter.  I would be more excited about him in Chicago then Trubisky and Foles.  And of course I would take him over Tyrod in LA.  (never a big Tyrod fan like some of you on here) But they have Herbert as the Rivers heir apparent.  I would have thought Jacksonville would have given him a chance to compete for the starting job verse Minshew.  But Jacksonville is just a very odd organization which really wants to be in London anyways.  

So with Jameis signed where if anywhere does Cam land?  I can only think of potentially Jacksonville or New England to compete for a starting role.  Maybe Tennessee to back up Tannehill.  Who is the Titans back up with Mariotta gone anyways?  How about Arizona to back up Kyler Murray?  Who is the Cardinals backup right now?  Not a lot out there right now when it comes down to it.  Sorry Cam.  Too bad so sad.  You can parade around your house in your Elton John outfits.  He he

First round QBs who fail with their original teams -- and Winston not being re-signed by TB is certainly a failure no matter how many yards he racked up -- don't get a chance at a second gig as a starter elsewhere unless they're willing to swallow their pride and settle for being a backup at first.  This is a smart move by both Winston and the Saints.  If Payton and his staff can improve Winston's decision making, they may have found their successor to Brees -- and Winston may get to be the kind of QB he was drafted to be.

I'm very concerned that Cam might land in NE, especially since the Pats didn't draft a QB.  He doesn't seem to be Belichick's "type" but Belichick's only had 1 QB for the last 2 decades, so who's to say that he won't/can't adapt to a more mobile QB?  Don't underestimate how much Belichick wants to win games.  Moreover, maybe Cam could do better in an offense in which he's asked to sacrifice his body less.  

• Like (+1) 1