Jameis Winston signing 1-year deal with Saints

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

So $3.5M in cap space and they sign Winston plus give Hill a $15M raise? If this doesn't show you the salary cap is easy to get around...

Hill's already accounted for.  They must know they can gain some cap room elsewhere.  And it depends on how much Winston accepted.

18 minutes ago, Doc said:

Hill's already accounted for.  They must know they can gain some cap room elsewhere.  And it depends on how much Winston accepted.

We don’t know how much of those guarantees are tied to a signing bonus, so it’s tough to forecast Hill’s annual salary cap hits. And it makes learning how this contract is structured even more fascinating. The Saints often use automatically voided years to spread out salary cap resources, and that could come into play again with Hill (especially considering that the Saints have just over $4 million in 2020 cap space to work with right now).

5 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

After everything hoodie has accomplished in his coaching career, I don't think so.  Cheating aside, his legacy is cemented.  He already went 11-5 with Matt Cassel.  The onus is on Brady, especially with all the talent around him in TB.

I think both their legacies are already cemented but Belichick has more to lose legacy wise than Brady. 

Brady has a valid excuse if he fails.  He'll be 43 fricken years old and his arm could fall off like Peyton's did his final season. 

Belichick can't use the age excuse.  That 11-5 season you mentioned was with a team which remained largely intact went 16-0 the year before.  You could make the argument without Brady they saw a five win drop off.  His overall record as a head coach without Brady starting is 54-63.  He'll still be remembered as the greatest coach ever but if he can't succeed without Brady the gap between him and 2nd best won't be as wide.

21 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That is pretty surprising.  I can not believe that there is no team out of the 32 that will give him a chance to come in and compete for the starting job.  Jameis has game.  Sure he throws some picks, but he is not afraid to push it up the field.  Way too many cautious QB's in the NFL.  With the right coaching he can shine even brighter.  I would be more excited about him in Chicago then Trubisky and Foles.  And of course I would take him over Tyrod in LA.  (never a big Tyrod fan like some of you on here) But they have Herbert as the Rivers heir apparent.  I would have thought Jacksonville would have given him a chance to compete for the starting job verse Minshew.  But Jacksonville is just a very odd organization which really wants to be in London anyways.  

So with Jameis signed where if anywhere does Cam land?  I can only think of potentially Jacksonville or New England to compete for a starting role.  Maybe Tennessee to back up Tannehill.  Who is the Titans back up with Mariotta gone anyways?  How about Arizona to back up Kyler Murray?  Who is the Cardinals backup right now?  Not a lot out there right now when it comes down to it.  Sorry Cam.  Too bad so sad.  You can parade around your house in your Elton John outfits.  He he

Did you see him in Hard Knocks? He was a mess. He just would not shut up for a second and was loud and obnoxious. I can see many teams passing on him despite his talent. I even had to turn it off, he was just that annoying.

I am sure that a football man like Belichick recognizes how talented he is. But BB is secure in his position and doesn't have to put up with such an obnoxious, cumbersome player,  and he obviously could use a good QB at this point. 

Imo it says quite a bit that NE didn't go after him. 

Jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I do.  Some think that Dalton will get cut and go there but I say the Bengals keep Dalton in the Alex Smith/Mahomes style.

I think they will keep him especially given the shortened offseason. They don’t know for sure if Burrow will be ready to start week 1. If he is, they can trade Dalton before the deadline to a team that loses their QB to injury or just keep him. Pats can’t even afford dalton right now 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they will keep him especially given the shortened offseason. They don’t know for sure if Burrow will be ready to start week 1. If he is, they can trade Dalton before the deadline to a team that loses their QB to injury or just keep him. Pats can’t even afford dalton right now 

No but they should...once they remove the franchise tag from Thuney.

10 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That is pretty surprising.  I can not believe that there is no team out of the 32 that will give him a chance to come in and compete for the starting job.  Jameis has game.  Sure he throws some picks, but he is not afraid to push it up the field.  Way too many cautious QB's in the NFL.  With the right coaching he can shine even brighter.  I would be more excited about him in Chicago then Trubisky and Foles.  And of course I would take him over Tyrod in LA.  (never a big Tyrod fan like some of you on here) But they have Herbert as the Rivers heir apparent.  I would have thought Jacksonville would have given him a chance to compete for the starting job verse Minshew.  But Jacksonville is just a very odd organization which really wants to be in London anyways.  

So with Jameis signed where if anywhere does Cam land?  I can only think of potentially Jacksonville or New England to compete for a starting role.  Maybe Tennessee to back up Tannehill.  Who is the Titans back up with Mariotta gone anyways?  How about Arizona to back up Kyler Murray?  Who is the Cardinals backup right now?  Not a lot out there right now when it comes down to it.  Sorry Cam.  Too bad so sad.  You can parade around your house in your Elton John outfits.  He he

Don’t feel too sad for Cam Newton, he’s made over $100M in the league w/ an MVP trophy. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Did you see him in Hard Knocks? He was a mess. He just would not shut up for a second and was loud and obnoxious. I can see many teams passing on him despite his talent. I even had to turn it off, he was just that annoying.

I am sure that a football man like Belichick recognizes how talented he is. But BB is secure in his position and doesn't have to put up with such and obnoxious, cumbersome player,  and he obviously could use a good QB at this point. 

Imo it says quite a bit that NE didn't go after him. 

Jmo.

I agree with your take on Jameis on Hard Knocks.  That was two years ago.  I got to believe that a year under Bruce Arians helped him grow up some.  Dirk Cutter had no control over that team.  It was not very professional.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Cam is better than Tannehill, Murray, and a good number of other starters.  Teams don't know if he's healthy and couldn't find out with current circumstances.  Chicago would have been perfect.  Trubisky ain't it and Foles isn't either.  He's better than Tyrod too.  If he's healthy Jacksonville should be on the phone.   So should the Raiders.  I can't see the Patriots being an option.  Outside that, If I'm him, I wait to see who loses a starter to injury or bad play.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, purple haze said:

Cam is better than Tannehill, Murray, and a good number of other starters.  Teams don't know if he's healthy and couldn't find out with current circumstances.  Chicago would have been perfect.  Trubisky ain't it and Foles isn't either.  He's better than Tyrod too.  If he's healthy Jacksonville should be on the phone.   So should the Raiders.  I can't see the Patriots being an option.  Outside that, If I'm him, I wait to see who loses a starter to injury or bad play.  

I have never been much of a Cam fan.  His flash and antics seem staged.  And he seems way too much about himself.  That being said I agree with you that if I was Chicago, I would have brought him in to compete w Trubisky.  He is better then Foles and likely beats out Trubisky.  If I am the Jags I bring him in also.  But he still has to beat out Minshew.  (he should be able to)  I don't think he should be handed any starting job coming off an injury and some uneven play over the past couple seasons.  The Raiders are interesting.  Derrick Carr has plateaued  and his ceiling seems low at this point.   Grudawg should give Cam a ring and bring some competition to the position.  I like Murray way better then Cam at this point.  He has that it factor.  Loved watching him last year.  Don't know if he will be great.  But he sure is exciting.    

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I have never been much of a Cam fan.  His flash and antics seem staged.  And he seems way too much about himself.  That being said I agree with you that if I was Chicago, I would have brought him in to compete w Trubisky.  He is better then Foles and likely beats out Trubisky.  If I am the Jags I bring him in also.  But he still has to beat out Minshew.  (he should be able to)  I don't think he should be handed any starting job coming off an injury and some uneven play over the past couple seasons.  The Raiders are interesting.  Derrick Carr has plateaued  and his ceiling seems low at this point.   Grudawg should give Cam a ring and bring some competition to the position.  I like Murray way better then Cam at this point.  He has that it factor.  Loved watching him last year.  Don't know if he will be great.  But he sure is exciting.    

I would add Pitt to this list. Per Winston, Pitt offered him more money than NO. I get the sense that Pitt is not so sure what Ben has left in the tank. The guy has threatened retirement for years now. Coming off a bad elbow injury. Plus looks to be doing his best to win a Matt Patricia look-a-like contest. Cam may be a welcome addition. They had terrible QB play and still won 8 games. 5 loses were a TD or less. Cam puts them in the playoffs last year and gets them 2 more wins minimum.

Edited by Mango

I think this is great.  I've never been a Winston fan, per se, but he obviously came into the league with serious maturity issues.  I, for one, hope that with a decent coaching staff and (possibly) some guidance/tutelage from Brees, that this kid resurrects his career.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Haha, he is making less than Matt Freakin” Barkley.  What a joke.  

this is the move you make when you have a starter who is secure in his job and are trying to win a SB.  Unfortunately, we are not in this position and it stinks because this is the type of move we should have made.  Better on his worst day than Barkley and if everything clicks and Allen stumbles, we would have one of the most talented qbs to step in.