Jameis Winston signing 1-year deal with Saints

46 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

just about the best place he could go for his career

I agree.  Study at the feet of an offensive genius and one of the great QB technicians of all time.   Hold a clipboard, watch how it's done.  

Won't necessarily save his career, but it's a good move for him.  GMs will find him much more attractive a year from now.  

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, ALLEN-2-DIGGS-TD!! said:

1 more qb off the list for NE. Are they tanking?

Not intentionally.  If they end up being one of the worst teams in the NFL, it severely damages Belicheat's legacy as a guy who can win with anyone at QB and makes Brady mostly the reason they did so well.  Tanking to get Lawrence and winning a championship with him will be a "yeah, so what?"

24 minutes ago, SoTier said:

First round QBs who fail with their original teams -- and Winston not being re-signed by TB is certainly a failure no matter how many yards he racked up -- don't get a chance at a second gig as a starter elsewhere unless they're willing to swallow their pride and settle for being a backup at first.  This is a smart move by both Winston and the Saints.  If Payton and his staff can improve Winston's decision making, they may have found their successor to Brees -- and Winston may get to be the kind of QB he was drafted to be.

I'm very concerned that Cam might land in NE, especially since the Pats didn't draft a QB.  He doesn't seem to be Belichick's "type" but Belichick's only had 1 QB for the last 2 decades, so who's to say that he won't/can't adapt to a more mobile QB?  Don't underestimate how much Belichick wants to win games.  Moreover, maybe Cam could do better in an offense in which he's asked to sacrifice his body less.  

Depends on whether Cam is willing to work for peanuts (for a QB).  I doubt it.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not intentionally.  If they end up being one of the worst teams in the NFL, it severely damages Belicheat's legacy as a guy who can win with anyone at QB and makes Brady mostly the reason they did so well. 

After everything hoodie has accomplished in his coaching career, I don't think so.  Cheating aside, his legacy is cemented.  He already went 11-5 with Matt Cassel.  The onus is on Brady, especially with all the talent around him in TB.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

After everything hoodie has accomplished in his coaching career, I don't think so.  Cheating aside, his legacy is cemented.  He already went 11-5 with Matt Cassel.  The onus is on Brady, especially with all the talent around him in TB.

Everything he's accomplished as a head coach has been with the Cheaters and Brady, save for that one season (again, Cassel took over arguably the greatest offense in NFL history).  His time in Cleveland was a failure and during his first season in 2000 with Bledsoe they went 5-11, after going 8-8 the year before.  And in Brady's case, if he doesn't do well this year, it can be blamed on natural decline, while coaches can coach into their 70's.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Part of me feels like Belichick would love to show everyone that he was responsible for New England's**** success, not Brady, and that he can win with any QB on his roster....

If BB/NE succeed and TB/TB fail this year, that would be a plausible conclusion.

It is a good move for Winston to actually be around a decent QB to help him curb his propensity for throwing INTs.

He's no doubt willing to do this on the cheap because the Saints barely had enough $s to sign their 1st round pick.

It seems like a win, win.

Smart move, go and be a backup on a good team with one of the best QB and coaching combos in the league, spend the season learning from them and go into next offseason trying to get a starting job. He's still young and had the corrective eye surgery. He could still turn things around.

4 hours ago, shane nelson said:

Good, reduces another option for NE!

3 hours ago, ALLEN-2-DIGGS-TD!! said:

1 more qb off the list for NE. Are they tanking?

I would have loved to see him in NE. A few extra INT's for our defenders.

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Part of me feels like Belichick would love to show everyone that he was responsible for New England's**** success, not Brady, and that he can win with any QB on his roster....

I think they're both trying to prove that to each other, and I think they are both going to fail miserably. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Jamies has a ton of experince throwing to Saints players already, so there is some continuity there. 

He’s competed more passes to Saints players than Taysom Hill has. 

• Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

From a purely academic perspective the marriage of Winston and Belichick would have been of great interest to me.  Could BB reign in the very talented, but highly erratic Jameis Winston?  Peyton offers a similar experience, but he’s not #1 down there so his development won’t be job 1. 

A Pigskin Pygmalion of sorts.

• Haha (+1) 1