Tre White's 5th year option.

13 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

New CBA changed the 5th year option rule. It is now fully guaranteed immediately.

Also the 2 tier system is gone.  Tre will get what is now the top 10 drafted money.

The cap hit for him next year should be over $14 million.

I still think he signs a long term contract at the start of next year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Also the 2 tier system is gone.  Tre will get what is now the top 10 drafted money.

Good point.  It really does change things.  It increases both the urgency to get a deal done before that 5th year hits as well as guaranteed money of new deals.  The other thing it does is it diminishes the urgency to get players - especially QBs - at the end of the first round.  No need to trade up into the bottom of the first when you can just franchise the guy for year 5 for almost the exact same guaranteed money. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Good point.  It really does change things.  It increases both the urgency to get a deal done before that 5th year hits as well as guaranteed money of new deals.  The other thing it does is it diminishes the urgency to get players - especially QBs - at the end of the first round.  No need to trade up into the bottom of the first when you can just franchise the guy for year 5 for almost the exact same guaranteed money. 

That is a really good point. If the option is basically the same as the tag it reduced the financial imperative to take at the end of round 1. There is still the "control" incentive though.

The Bills took the expected step of extending Tre'Davious White's ties to the club beyond the 2020 season as they exercised the fifth-year option on his rookie contract.

The deadline to make use of the fifth-year option is May 4th.

"We'd like to get guys done or re-done if we can," Beane said back in March. "That's the ideal way. When it's time to sign a guy or re-sign a guy that you have on your roster, it always takes two to figure it out. The best deals are win-win."

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-exercise-fifth-year-option-on-tre-davious-white

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. The only FA Beane has brought here who the Bills were really tied to for a longer period is Star Lotulelei. Even Mitch Morse's deal has a relatively easy out after 2020. They have slightly gone against the grain in their use of free agency, it is really interesting. The consensus that was developing going back 4 or 5 years in the NFL was that the good teams didn't use free agency for any more than the odd splash signing at a position they had muffed in the draft or had a hole because one of their own guys had walked etc. You certainly didn't use free agency for roster fillers because if you did you took yourself out of comp pick territory and because Belichick always had loads of comp picks that was the system hack that was presumed to keep your roster competitive for longer.

Beane has taken a markedly different approach. What he does is use free agency for roster fillers and actually over subscribes himself on those roster fillers during the early free agency period. How many guys since Beane has been here (so forget that first year when it was McDermott) have they actually acquired through free agency with the intention of them being multiple years starters for the Bills? Star, Brown, Beasley, Morse.... after that... I'm struggling. They have brought in other guys on the line who have become that - Quinton Spain originally a 1 year deal, Jon Feliciano originally a backup contract... but in terms of planned FA acquisitions to really be long term starters it is those 4. Yet we have signed 7 or 8 guys minimum in each of Beane's three free agency periods as General Manager. Then he drafts and then the roster starts to sort itself out through camp and he always seems to drop a couple of guys just before roster cuts in trades for day 3 picks which he essentially uses as the equivalent of his "comp picks". Forget the headline trades of Watkins and Darby for a second which were about adding draft capital to get up for a Quarterback... here are the other trades Brandon Beane has made during camp and pre-season since he has been here to acquire picks:

Traded Cardale Jones for a 7th rounder

Traded Kevon Seymour for Kaelin Clay and a 7th rounder

Traded Reggie Ragland for a 4th rounder

Traded AJ McCarron for a 5th rounder

Traded Russell Bodine for a 6th rounder

Traded Wyatt Teller and a 7th rounder for a 5th and a 6th rounder

That means just in the month of August alone in three years Beane has added: One 4th, two 5ths, two 6ths and two 7ths. All for guys who (probably McCarron apart) were likely not making the roster. It is a really fascinating approach and while the likely disruption for camp and pre-season this year might mean that it doesn't quite happen in 2020 I think we can expect it to part of his modus operandi for some time to come.

I think another thing about those trades and why ppl wanted those players was the contracts those players signed.  All those contracts, I bet, were very cap friendly.

So a team gets a decent player at a good cap hit... that's worth a 5-7th rounder. 

Just now, hjnick said:

I think another thing about those trades and why ppl wanted those players was the contracts those players signed.  All those contracts, I bet, were very cap friendly.

So a team gets a decent player at a good cap hit... that's worth a 5-7th rounder. 

Yes indeed. Beane will generally give a little more money up front to make it more team flexible (ie. you can get out quickly and cheaply.)

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

You can want to sign him, but can’t make him sign it. He’s the one that will want to wait. Not the Bills.

Seems simple. 

I think many on here would blame Beane unless White signs a long term extension at less than market.  Prices will keep going up and players who sign too early either need the $ or have an agent who needs the $.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

The changes in the new CBA regarding guarantees and salary amount factoring don't go into effect until next year. All fifth-year options for players drafted in the first round of 2017 are still governed under the same rules as the old CBA.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s a choice he will have to make but most of the top tier “Set the market”  guys dont go the safe route 

Thing is, he can still set the market this off season and be the highest paid CB in the league

51 minutes ago, Tuco said:

The changes in the new CBA regarding guarantees and salary amount factoring don't go into effect until next year. All fifth-year options for players drafted in the first round of 2017 are still governed under the same rules as the old CBA.

I did not know that.  Thanks for the clarification on that. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

His agent will want him to be the highest paid CB in the league. The longer he waits, the more he makes as other CBs sign. Right now it’s Darius Slay’s contract to top. Next it will be Lattimore’s and so on. Some guys do opt for the security but the top “Set the market” guys typically don’t. 

We'll see. 

He's 25, has a family. Why mess around for a few mil extra?

I don't get it, especially in a year where NFL revenues and the cap might drop. 

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I know I have said this before but it bears repeating. You are not getting Dawkins for the 7th or 8th best LT money. He will be paid like a top 5 tackle at the very least year 1 of the deal. But focussing on where he sits in the market in year 1 of a 4 or 5 years deal is foolish. In a world with major cap inflation year on year it is just the wrong way to look at it. 

I don't disagree but you can't pay everyone.  Dawkins is not that good. He is serviceable.  And with all the cap space that some teams have he will get paid top 5 money.  But it won't be by Buffalo  

On 4/22/2020 at 8:35 PM, Richard Noggin said:

May I ask what EDGE players have to do with Milano's contract?

Pass rushing OLB that can drop in coverage from time to time.  Far more valuable than Milano.  Milano is a very good player for a fifth round pick.  Just don't make the mistake of over valuing him too much.  

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I don't disagree but you can't pay everyone.  Dawkins is not that good. He is serviceable.  And with all the cap space that some teams have he will get paid top 5 money.  But it won't be by Buffalo  

Pass rushing OLB that can drop in coverage from time to time.  Far more valuable than Milano.  Milano is a very good player for a fifth round pick.  Just don't make the mistake of over valuing him too much.  

Disagree with you on Dawkins. Not on how good he is. I don't think he is top 10 he is somewhere between the 11th and 16th best left tackle. But him going top 5 on the money list when he signs is not equivalent to him getting "top 5 money". Just the wrong way to look at it. The guys who reset the market are the guys who you can argue get top 5 money because you have to look at where they average out on the money list over the course of the deal not where they go when they sign it. 

I agree on Milano. I would not pay him this offseason. I'd let it play out and he would have to play better than in 2019 for me to consider extending him. 

On 4/23/2020 at 2:33 AM, billsfan89 said:

The Bills will defer any Tre extension until next off-season, I think he will get his but given they have the 5th year option they get to delay the inevitable cap hit. They need to focus on resigning Dawkins and Milano. 

I'm not sure they will. He won't get any cheaper so waiting doesn't really benefit the Bills

I read that yesterday, smart , although obvious move by the FO. Glad to see it done before the season starts. 

Go Bills!!!

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Agreed. This is what competent management looks like.

Refreshing isn’t it ?