Tre White's 5th year option.

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There’s always a chance he could opt for security. I wouldn’t bet on it. 

Why?

What's his upside? Maybe $5-10 mil if he waits a year to sign an extension with a few mil extra on the guaranteed money?

NFL earnings may not increase this year due to COVID-19, so the cap may not go up. 

On the flip side if he suffers a major injury, he could see his earnings and guaranteed money on his next contract cut in half.

His upside is maybe 5-10% more money. His downside is enormous if the worst happens.

It's a no brainer for everyone involved to work out a new deal soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Exactly. 

Annual salary is one thing, but guaranteed money is what these players really care about.

Throw him a 5 year, $85 mil extension with $46 mil guaranteed and I think he'd sign. 

He'd set his family up for life, and if he gets injured and blows out a knee and never returns to form he'll have protected himself. 

I think he might do that so definitely try but if not I doubt he sits out. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Why?

What's his upside? Maybe $5-10 mil if he waits a year to sign an extension with a few mil extra on the guaranteed money?

NFL earnings may not increase this year due to COVID-19, so the cap may not go up. 

On the flip side if he suffers a major injury, he could see his earnings and guaranteed money on his next contract cut in half.

His upside is maybe 5-10% more money. His downside is enormous if the worst happens.

It's a no brainer for everyone involved to work out a new deal soon. 

His agent will want him to be the highest paid CB in the league. The longer he waits, the more he makes as other CBs sign. Right now it’s Darius Slay’s contract to top. Next it will be Lattimore’s and so on. Some guys do opt for the security but the top “Set the market” guys typically don’t. 

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills will defer any Tre extension until next off-season, I think he will get his but given they have the 5th year option they get to delay the inevitable cap hit. They need to focus on resigning Dawkins and Milano. 

I’m ok with bringing back Dawkins as long as it is reasonable money. Maybe 7 or 8th highest LT. If he wants more let him walk. As for Milano I say draft two edge players this week and let Milano test the market.

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Now the big question.  Does Tre hold out?

Tre has been taught that holding is bad for defense players by one of the best head coaches for DBs.  I think he listened.  I also think he has heard stories from some of the veterans who held out and did not do so well.

22 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I’m ok with bringing back Dawkins as long as it is reasonable money. Maybe 7 or 8th highest LT. If he wants more let him walk. As for Milano I say draft two edge players this week and let Milano test the market.

May I ask what EDGE players have to do with Milano's contract?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I suspect Beane and McDermott would disagree with your ambivalence towards Milano.

Look at how the Bills' defense as a whole suffered in 2018 after Milano went out with his broken leg during the second half of the season.  His skill set is essential to McDermott and Frazier's defensive scheme. 

LBs who are are strong against the run as well as being athletic enough to drop back into coverage and blanket TEs and RBs out of the backfield don't grow on trees.  We need to lock up Milano for the next 4-5 years and keep him and Edmunds together.  They have a real shot at being the best LB pairing in the League.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I know I have said this before but it bears repeating. You are not getting Dawkins for the 7th or 8th best LT money. He will be paid like a top 5 tackle at the very least year 1 of the deal. But focussing on where he sits in the market in year 1 of a 4 or 5 years deal is foolish. In a world with major cap inflation year on year it is just the wrong way to look at it. 

• Like (+1) 3

It will be interesting to see how Beane plays this out.  Between Milano, Dawkins, Tre, then eventually Allen is he keeps progressing.  The implications of keeping these people if possible continues to provide the argument we are not going to buy these flashy free agents that continues to be the logic by some.  Even Diggs was not at a contract at the highest in the NFL.  It’s smart decision making, rather keep plugging holes and get the most out of role players.  

The Pegulas need to retain Beane at McDermit as they are making shrewd decisions for a long term plan.  It’s refreshing to see people having a long term plan.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

It will be interesting to see how Beane plays this out.  Between Milano, Dawkins, Tre, then eventually Allen is he keeps progressing.  The implications of keeping these people if possible continues to provide the argument we are not going to buy these flashy free agents that continues to be the logic by some.  Even Diggs was not at a contract at the highest in the NFL.  It’s smart decision making, rather keep plugging holes and get the most out of role players.  

The Pegulas need to retain Beane at McDermit as they are making shrewd decisions for a long term plan.  It’s refreshing to see people having a long term plan.

Yep. The only FA Beane has brought here who the Bills were really tied to for a longer period is Star Lotulelei. Even Mitch Morse's deal has a relatively easy out after 2020. They have slightly gone against the grain in their use of free agency, it is really interesting. The consensus that was developing going back 4 or 5 years in the NFL was that the good teams didn't use free agency for any more than the odd splash signing at a position they had muffed in the draft or had a hole because one of their own guys had walked etc. You certainly didn't use free agency for roster fillers because if you did you took yourself out of comp pick territory and because Belichick always had loads of comp picks that was the system hack that was presumed to keep your roster competitive for longer.

Beane has taken a markedly different approach. What he does is use free agency for roster fillers and actually over subscribes himself on those roster fillers during the early free agency period. How many guys since Beane has been here (so forget that first year when it was McDermott) have they actually acquired through free agency with the intention of them being multiple years starters for the Bills? Star, Brown, Beasley, Morse.... after that... I'm struggling. They have brought in other guys on the line who have become that - Quinton Spain originally a 1 year deal, Jon Feliciano originally a backup contract... but in terms of planned FA acquisitions to really be long term starters it is those 4. Yet we have signed 7 or 8 guys minimum in each of Beane's three free agency periods as General Manager. Then he drafts and then the roster starts to sort itself out through camp and he always seems to drop a couple of guys just before roster cuts in trades for day 3 picks which he essentially uses as the equivalent of his "comp picks". Forget the headline trades of Watkins and Darby for a second which were about adding draft capital to get up for a Quarterback... here are the other trades Brandon Beane has made during camp and pre-season since he has been here to acquire picks:

Traded Cardale Jones for a 7th rounder

Traded Kevon Seymour for Kaelin Clay and a 7th rounder

Traded Reggie Ragland for a 4th rounder

Traded AJ McCarron for a 5th rounder

Traded Russell Bodine for a 6th rounder

Traded Wyatt Teller and a 7th rounder for a 5th and a 6th rounder

That means just in the month of August alone in three years Beane has added: One 4th, two 5ths, two 6ths and two 7ths. All for guys who (probably McCarron apart) were likely not making the roster. It is a really fascinating approach and while the likely disruption for camp and pre-season this year might mean that it doesn't quite happen in 2020 I think we can expect it to part of his modus operandi for some time to come.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Good, different , perspective Gunner.

While I'm sure Beane values his draft picks, there are plenty of different approaches people can make.

Getting a bunch of guys in, relatively inexpensively, seems to get us with good competition, and solid finds who can become valuable to us. Those who don't, and they are generally vets with decent experience, get shipped off for low round picks.

Regarding drafting and retaining 'your own', I think we are in the area where that's as much about your 'core' positions, as anything else. QB, DT, DE, CB, WR, OT, the positions you absolutely need, to begin to be competitive. (I'm giving those positions as examples, that isn't necessary a complete list)

As regards the 'cheaper' FAs, I believe that some of that is a function of the brevity of contracts under CBA conditions. A lot of guys may be very talented, but it takes time for them to make the step up. Often that is in their last year before they hit FA, and teams then have difficult choices to make. Fans are incredibly quick to call players busts, and teams know that often they can move on, without any real repercussions, until a player then performs elsewhere.

Back to the OP, it was a 'no brainer' to take the option. In respect of getting him e-signed, imho it would be best to do it after you have Dawkins and Milano done. So probably next off-season, when we will still have him for another year anyway, and I believe, more cap room.

I'd be looking at getting Dawkins and Milano done now, as I think you can possibly get decent deals done with them. There is so much uncertainty in the World atm, that I would be advising both of them to take any fair offer with both a signing bonus, and good guarantees, asap. We genuinely do not know what is going to happen as regards this coming season,and a signing bonus could prove mighty handy in the absense of some game checks.

I don't believe that White settles for anything less than top 3 money, whenever his deal gets done. I do think however, that it will be better for the franchise to get Dawkins and Milano done now, when realistically they need to be done, than White, who can wait until next year before he needs to get done.

I’m going to let the GM take care of the contracts. In the end It’s got to be about more than money. I remember going to the thanksgiving game in Dallas and commenting to another fan that I probably could name more players on the Cowboys roster than on the Bills....as could all of America (kiddingly of course as a Bills fan). And yet, we blew them off the field. 

To me, this was a foregone conclusion but I do celebrate it's completion. It just makes too much sense for the Bills and I don't think that precludes the team getting a long-term deal done for him, but I also think Dawkins and Milano will need paydays next year which might delay the roll-out of the proverbial red carpet for Tre. He's going to make good money on that 5th year deal, might just have to wait a year before Brinks sends out one of its trucks.