OJ Howard likely available after Gronk Trade - Do we want him?

1. His contract - two years on the cheap (since TB paid his signing bonus already). 1.5 mill this year and 2 mill next year.

2. His production - 

GP

REC

TGTS

YDS

AVG

TD

LNG

FD

FUM

LST

He was pretty good in 2018 and OK in 2019. Certainly worth the contract.

3. Possible Compensation to TB - I am guessing it would take a 4th rounder at least - and I think that is worth it.

4. Cut Lee Smith and make him an asst. coach. this is the year we have an out on his contract - will save on cap - 2 mill that will more than pay OJ Howard's salary

Bottomline - Beane Get him in!!

Edit: Dammit The Pats got him in exchange for Gronk. Belichik doesnt miss out on these opportunities. I was just getting excited. Sry guys I created an unnecessary thread.

Edit 2: Maybe not was misled by a wrong sportsline heading. OJ Howard still appears available. Yay!

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t understand why they would have to get rid of Howard. 
Gronk, Howard and Brate is a pretty fantastic group of tight ends for a quarterback that knows how to use them. On top of the fact you can’t count on a healthy gronk 16 games. Be silly to trade him it’s not like his contract is big or his value is high right now. 

• Like (+1) 7

You don’t give up on an ultra athletic, generational tight end talent like Lee Smith, who’s just about ready to peak!!!!

32 is the age where tight ends begin to shine!  It’s science....

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

Why would they get rid of a young TE ?  Gronk and Howard would be a great combo. They would be nuts to trade him.  

They've reportedly been trying to trade him for the past 2 off-season.  And if he's so good, why wouldn't Belichick demand he be included in the trade?

Much rather have Brate.  He’s better and is on a decent contract for the next few years. He and Knox would be a nice pairing imo.  He’s what everyone hopes Sweeney might become if everything works out perfectly for him.  I’ll take the sure thing for 6-7 mill

i’d really only want to trade a 5th or lower.

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Why would they get rid of a young TE ?  Gronk and Howard would be a great combo. They would be nuts to trade him.  

Because Arians system doesn’t really utilize tight ends as it is. Now he has 3.  Why not trade the guy that sat the bench all last season and is due to leave after the upcoming season

Edited by NewEra

10 minutes ago, DFT said:

You don’t give up on an ultra athletic, generational tight end talent like Lee Smith, who’s just about ready to peak!!!!

32 is the age where tight ends begin to shine!  It’s science....

Maybe Lee Smith can open up a lunch pail factory with Kelsay.....

• Haha (+1) 2

Sems to me that Howard represents an upgrade to the TE room at little expense.

I like both Knox and Sweeney, but you could cut Kroft, who has done nothing so far, or Smith, and aside from what is a probable low round pick, you get good value.

Beane should definitely be asking the question, imho. For a 5th or below, it's a no brainer, imho. Maybe it needs to be 2 low picks, e.g. a 5th and 7th, but as we have few needs, as such, if we can get 3 decent players from the draft with our top 3 picks, we won't be likely to be getting someone with those lower picks, who will make the roster.

• Like (+1) 2