Bill O'Brien; the Man, the Myth, the Moron

Bill O'Brien continues to stagger around the League punch drunk making one questionable personnel move after another.  When the Hopkins trade went down I went to the Houston Texans version of TBD and read a bunch of the fan's comments flaming BOB for the horrific Hopkins' trade.  I think out of all of them my favorite post was the very succinct;

"Bill O'Brien is to coaches, what Bill O'Brien is to GMs"

He had already managed to win the Triple Crown of Incompetence even before his trade yesterday for Cooks.

The first jewel of BOB's Triple Crown was the the Jadeveon Clowney trade to the Seattle Seahawks for a 2020 3rd round pick.  The Texans also received Barkevious Mingo who the Seahawks were going to cut, and Jacob Martin a rotational DT.  The trade is even more egregious when BOB could look at what the same Seatttle Seahawks got from the Chiefs when the Seahawks traded Frank Clark to them earlier that same year.  The Seahawks traded Frank Clark for the Chiefs' 2019 1st round pick and their 2020 2nd round pick. 

The second jewel of BOB's Triple Crown came just a few days later when he traded with the Miami Dolphins for rookie LT Laremy Tunsil.  What did BOB give up to get his new LT with two years left on his contract?  Two 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick.  I should add that the Dolphins also threw in Kenny Stills because the Dolphin's GM was suffering some major Catholic guilt over how badly he was raping BOB.  Now lets compound BOB's GM incompetence with what is currently happening in Houston.  Tunsil has already rejected an offer of $18 million a year from the Texans.  Tunsill wants to be the highest pain O-Lineman in the League and he will gouge the Texans for at least $20 million a year.  BOB gave Tunsil all the leverage, he can't let Tunsil walk after giving up two 1st's and a 2nd to get him to Houston.  He basically handed Tunsil and his agent a blank check.  Strong work BOB!

But the third jewel, the crown jewel of BOB's Triple Crown, was the so stupid is should have been illegal, Deandre Hopkins trade.  In exchange for a generational WR talent and a 4th round pick, BOB received a 2nd round pick this year and a 4th next year, and the oft injured RB David Johnson who comes with a $10.2 million dollar cap hit this year and who also has a guaranteed $2.1 million for the 2021 season. What makes this move all the more baffling is that the Cards had already tagged Kenyan Drake and Johnson was going to be released by the Cardinals before the season started and the Cards were just going to eat Johnson's cap hit.  BOB to the rescue!  Of course his malfeasance was only magnified and highlighted when the Bills gave up a 2020 1st, 5th, 6th, and a 2021 4th for Diggs.  

There needs to be an intervention in Houston. I have no idea what the owner is doing there. I have never witnessed so much incompetence crammed into such a small window.  Even the Browns front office never reached this level of dysfunction.  All I know is that someone needs to fire BOB before the end of the season so that he can replace Adam Gase next year as the new head coach of the New York Football Jets.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Haha (+1) 17
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billl said:

He’s won 4 division titles in 5 years.  Probably best for Bills fans not to feel sorry for the Texans.

I don't feel sorry for the Texans at all.  BOB has single handedly wrecked the team that beat us in the playoffs last year.  I'll buy the guy a steak dinner.  It's time for BOB to move on and jack up another one of our Conference rivals.  Hello Gang Green!

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It’s great to see other teams self destructing, ??

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Billl said:

He’s won 4 division titles in 5 years.  Probably best for Bills fans not to feel sorry for the Texans.

Who's feeling sorry for them?  We're laughing at them.

• Like (+1) 5

36 minutes ago, Billl said:

In one of the worst divisions in football over the past 5 or 6 years. The colts were the only team with a franchise QB, but he was injured every year and then prematurely retired. Put the Texans in any other division and they would not have seen the same success.

• Like (+1) 5

45 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I don't feel sorry for the Texans at all.  BOB has single handedly dismantled the team that beat us in the playoffs last year.  I'll buy the guy a steak dinner.  It's time for BOB to move on and jack up another one of our Conference rivals.  Hello Gang Green!

They didn't beat us.  Daboll beat us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MJS said:

In one of the worst divisions in football over the past 5 or 6 years. The colts were the only team with a franchise QB, but he was injured every year and then prematurely retired. Put the Texans in any other division and they would not have seen the same success.

Certainly true of his early success when going 9-7 with Fitz, Hoyer and the Brocketship. But actually his two most successful seasons (the last two with Watson) he is 13-7 against non-AFC South opponents for a pretty solid .650 win percentage. I think Billy O is above average as a coach. But nobody in their right mind would let him shop for his own groceries. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Billl said:

That's a hell of a way to prop up a team, who two of those four were 9-7. Let's not act like they are running away with their divison every year.

Also, division titles are won in the playoffs, having the best record at the end of the regular season... is that really revered as winning a division title?

• Like (+1) 1