bradin cooks vs stefon Digs

dbfla10

59 minutes ago, dneveu said:

The Trades all had to do with money.  NO didn't want to pay the 5th year option so they traded him before they had to choose.  NE picked it up.  NE didn't want to pay him what he wanted on an extension.  So they traded him.  It's not like he wasn't good and thats why he was traded.  

However 4 years of brees and brady do make for some nice numbers no?  

For sure. It’s also telling that good teams keep acquiring him too.  It’s not like Raiders trading for Randy Moss.  Cooks was also great in college.  We healthy, he’s a good nfl player.  I don’t know why saying Cooks is super talented but is struggling with injuries is a hot take.   

2 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Why has the thread gone four pages?

Because everyone is trapped in their houses and I’m awful at working from home. 

28 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Cuz they are stupid?

I mean they got nice value for him.  And he was a bigger problem for them than Bills fans want to admit.  Hopefully, the “process” stuff is really legit. Because if you aren’t a Bills fan, the Vikings are a slightly better situation.  Of course, Cousins’ dork factor is super high and I can’t discount that. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

"BY FAR" is a stretch. Look at their stats, they are nearly identical... I agree I like Diggs better, but the Bills definitely over paid.

Everyone pays a lot to get established top receivers in their prime on relatively friendly contracts.

And in order to overpay you have to know what we gave up, which was college draft picks not established players.   In order to do that you'd have to see our board and who we would have taken, then wait a few years and see how they panned out.   There are a lot of 1st round WR busts in this league, we got a proven, game-changing guy who is guaranteed not to bust.

Here's a wild stat that might make you feel better about Diggsy:  more than HALF of the WR's taken in the first round are out of the league in 5 years.  One breakdown looked at four years of consecutive drafts and an amazing 9 out of 15 First Round WR's were out of football going into what would be their 6th training camp.  (also 10 out of 20 DE's which is crazy too)

As for giving up 5th and 6th picks in that deal, you know the chances of them being game changers is slim.   Beaner sees the window before Josh needs to get a new contract and he's sticking to the plan of adding proven players for a run this year.

There is literally no way anyone can watch this breakdown of Diggs and say Cooks is "similar", "comparable", "essentially the same", etc.  Diggs is substantially better than Cooks, and I like Cooks as he is from my hometown.  

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

There is literally no way anyone can watch this breakdown of Diggs and say Cooks is "similar", "comparable", "essentially the same", etc.  Diggs is substantially better than Cooks, and I like Cooks as he is from my hometown.  

Now do a Cooks one.  Diggs is really good.  Cooks was really good before he got hurt.  These things don’t have to be mutually exclusive.  

3 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

"BY FAR" is a stretch. Look at their stats, they are nearly identical... I agree I like Diggs better, but the Bills definitely over paid.

It’s is by far, stop looking at stats. Start looking at skill sets, how they were used, and career to date. Cooks is a talented guy with a zillion concussions. He’s on a new team every two years for a reason. Diggs is an elite route runner, elite in contested ball chances, very good after the catch and can stretch the field. He’s also durable. If you asked 32 NFL GMs all 32 would take Diggs. That’s where the “by far” comes into play. This isn’t a “Allen/Darnold” situation where some people like one vs. the other. This is unanimous 32-0.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s is by far, stop looking at stats. Start looking at skill sets, how they were used, and career to date. Cooks is a talented guy with a zillion concussions. He’s on a new team every two years for a reason. Diggs is an elite route runner, elite in contested ball chances, very good after the catch and can stretch the field. He’s also durable. If you asked 32 NFL GMs all 32 would take Diggs. That’s where the “by far” comes into play. This isn’t a “Allen/Darnold” situation where some people like one vs. the other. This is unanimous 32-0.

I think without the concussions Cooks for a 2nd and Diggs for a 1st is a lot close than you think.  But who knows?  We got the healthier young player.  Hopefully, this becomes a good offense. 

Diggs has missed games nearly every season. Cooks has missed less though concussions are a concern. Cooks has played in a pass happy offense. Diggs has played in a run heavy offense primarily. Cooks athletic measurables are better. Diggs route running is better. Cooks stats are better. 

If you swap the players I still believe Bills fans would be making the argument Cooks is better. So I dont think its as simple as obviously Diggs is by far the better player. 

Diggs and a second round pick

Cooks and a 1st round pick

I think if you polled GM's it would be not be 32-0 in either direct. I think it would be closer to 50/50. 

Having Brown really limits the need for Cooks.  Brown is very similar player.  This past season Brown was also the more productive player.  Diggs is an all around wr.  Buffalo has niche guys but none have the versitility of Diggs.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Cooks has played one more year and has about 1,000 more yards and 4 more TD's than Diggs. I think the big difference, though, is the QB's throwing to them.

Stats, in this instance, don't tell the whole story. Diggs, for instance, is a beast at contested catches. Not sure how Cooks ranks in that category, but Diggs is one of the best, if not THE best, in the league in that category.

One very important stat to me is 5/6.

That is FIVE concussions in SIX seasons for Cooks. Concussions scare me!  I think more of Diggs as a WR, and Cooks should be in the scratch and dent part of the store. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think without the concussions Cooks for a 2nd and Diggs for a 1st is a lot close than you think.  But who knows?  We got the healthier young player.  Hopefully, this becomes a good offense. 

I agree with that. At this point though, Cooks isn’t worth a 2nd and Diggs is worth the equivalent of pick 18. Cooks was a nice player when he came  into the league here. Always found it odd that teams were so okay moving on from him (and good franchises too).  Both New Orleans and New England were comfortable. That says a lot to me. It’s says even more that the genius, Bill O’Brien wanted him lol.

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don't know, man. This is a weird crusade. No one in the NFL thinks Diggs and Cooks are the same talent level. Cooks is somewhere in between Brown and Diggs. Good player. Not a #1 like Diggs is.

I'd honestly rather have Brown than Cooks at this point considering the money and injury conerns.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

statistically these two are very similar. Who has the more value... Bills gave up a lot for diggs, Texans only a second rounder for cooks. I like Diggs better as a player, but knowing a 2nd rounder would've got Cooks, i'd rather the 2nd for Cooks and see what the 1st rounder would land the Bills.

Nah.  And Cooks has concussion concerns too.

Very different WR's. I'de compare John Brown and Cooks more. Diggs is more complete WR. His route running is top notch. Plus his contested catch rate is also tops. 

One thing that wouldn't surprise me though is if Brandin Cooks has a better statistical season, at least per game.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

5 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

statistically these two are very similar. Who has the more value... Bills gave up a lot for diggs, Texans only a second rounder for cooks. I like Diggs better as a player, but knowing a 2nd rounder would've got Cooks, i'd rather the 2nd for Cooks and see what the 1st rounder would land the Bills.

Complete nonesense. 

They're very similar players with very similar production. I love Diggs the player, but I feel like his trade value should have been a lot closer to that of Cooks. They've been trying to move him for a while now, and Beane paid the maximum. I wonder where Minnesota started the negotiation if we ended up having to pay as much as we did.

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

They're very similar players with very similar production. I love Diggs the player, but I feel like his trade value should have been a lot closer to that of Cooks. They've been trying to move him for a while now, and Beane paid the maximum. I wonder where Minnesota started the negotiation if we ended up having to pay as much as we did.

They aren't similar. Even if they were there's injury history.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They aren't similar. Even if they were there's injury history.

They're both smaller speed burners. Diggs has height, but he doesn't weigh much. Digss has also never played a full season, so not sure about the whole injury comparison.

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

For sure. It’s also telling that good teams keep acquiring him too.  It’s not like Raiders trading for Randy Moss.  Cooks was also great in college.  We healthy, he’s a good nfl player.  I don’t know why saying Cooks is super talented but is struggling with injuries is a hot take.   

Because everyone is trapped in their houses and I’m awful at working from home. 

I mean they got nice value for him.  And he was a bigger problem for them than Bills fans want to admit.  Hopefully, the “process” stuff is really legit. Because if you aren’t a Bills fan, the Vikings are a slightly better situation.  Of course, Cousins’ dork factor is super high and I can’t discount that. 

I just dont understand that when we dont clear squash another team on a deal then it ends up being a bad deal for us.

Beane made it pretty clear that they were looking to trade up into the top 3 WR's of this draft (and NOTHING is a sure thing) to me they gave up either on par or a little less then they would have given had they done that to get a proven veteran young top WR on a cost controlled contract.

What exactly is wrong with this?  Because another team got a better deal on another player?  So What?