There should be a national dialogue in getting back to work

Magox

16 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

There are parents of school age kids that are working now.  Go to any WNY community and you will see 30-50 year old people who are working the counters of Seven-eleven's, McD's, local home improvement stores, etc. this very minute.  That is why Cuomo's approach is somewhat illogical.  I understand that schools are a focal point in terms of preventing the spread of the virus but for Cuomo to think that schools need to be open for parents to work is flawed.  

Some parents can work if they have kids but many cannot or they cannot work well.  

Cuomo and de Blasio were just having a spat. Kids aren’t going back to school this spring in NYS. They both know it. All the states around NY are punting the spring away. NY is not about to be the one hold out. 

Edited by shoshin

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Cuomo was talking about opening the schools the other day. Did he back off on that? 

DiBlasio stated the other day that the NYC schools are closed for the year. Cuomo stated that it wasn't up to DiBlasio to make that determination since he (Cuomo) was the one that closed them in the first place. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

DiBlasio stated the other day that the NYC schools are closed for the year. Cuomo stated that it wasn't up to DiBlasio to make that determination since he (Cuomo) was the one that closed them in the first place. 

That was what I saw. Same presser Cuomo said that schools needed to open in conjunction with businesses as schools provided a defacto day care. 

4 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Some parents can work if they have kids but many cannot or they cannot work well.  

Cuomo and de Blasio were just having a spat. Kids aren’t going back to school this spring in NYS. They both know it. 

Employers are not going to wait indefinitely on parents that have a problem in terms of kids.  The parents will get it figured out just like they do for summer vacation.

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Employers are not going to wait indefinitely on parents that have a problem in terms of kids.  The parents will get it figured out just like they do for summer vacation.

You’re making my point. Summer vacation from school is a time for a lot of kids to go to camps and other daytime activities. Those will only be open and available if they can be. Parents need them. It’s part of how they “figure it out” to use your phrase. 

Edited by shoshin

Announcement with specifics at noon pacific (3 eastern).  They will be laying out details. They want to avoid a new wave, etc., etc. 

Gov. Newsom to announce plan to reopen West Coast states, lift California stay-at-home orders

Governor Gavin Newsom on Tuesday will announce details on an agreement made with Oregon and Washington to reopen the economies of the Western States and lift stay-at-home orders.

“In the coming weeks, the West Coast will flip the script on COVID-19 – with our states acting in close coordination and collaboration to ensure the virus can never spread wildly in our communities,” a joint statement from Governor Newsom, Oregon Governor Kate brown, and Washington Governor Jay Inslee.

The statement added that each state is building its own state-specific plan, but all agreed to work together, put residents’ health first, and to use health outcomes and science to guide the decisions made.

</snip>

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, shoshin said:

You’re making my point. Summer vacation from school is a time for a lot of kids to go to camps and other daytime activities. Those will only be open and available if they can be. Parents need them. It’s part of how they “figure it out” to use your phrase. 

Even during the summer recreation centers, camps, etc are not a 24/7 means of warehousing kids.  There are the times where sports and other activities will not fill up the day for a kid.  The times where the kid goes to grandma's or the stay at home aunt for example.  Instead of waiting for the end of June the kid goes to the relative or the neighbor to be watched now.

15 minutes ago, B-Man said:

A New Strategy for Bringing People Back to Work During COVID-19

It’s imperative that we responsibly restore the economy while working to flatten the coronavirus curve.

By Avik Roy

https://freopp.org/a-new-strategy-for-bringing-people-back-to-work-during-covid-19-a912247f1ab5

Another voice advocating for using an app to track people’s movements via their cell phones. Good. He makes the interesting point that you’d need fewer tests if this was implemented, which is something I hadn’t considered. 

Jamie Dimon, who I respect tremendously when it comes to the world of finance.  Thinks we could be opening up relatively soon.

“A rational plan to get back to work is a good thing to do, and hopefully it will be sooner rather than later,” Dimon said Tuesday on a conference call with analysts. “But it won’t be May. We’re talking about June, July, August, something like that.”

“We shouldn’t think of it as a binary thing that after the CDC [gives approval] and we all get instructions from the government, after there’s enough capacity in the hospitals, after there’s proper amount of testing,” only then will people return to work, he said. “Remember, a lot of people are going to work today in farms, factories, food production, retail, pharmacies, hospitals – it isn’t like no one is going to work.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

True but a lot of districts have summer day camps that provide cheap babysitting services.  It will be an extra cost for many adults if they have to go back to work and schools aren't open.  I don't think reopening schools in a couple of weeks is a bad idea.  It's going to have to get to a point soon where people highly suseptible to the virus self quarantine and the rest of us just get back to our daily lives practicing social distancing measures.  Hopefully we develop herd immunity and not have any major second waves.  The damage to the economy will be too great if we keep the country in lockdown for a year until a vaccine is developed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

This is a good alert but that website is a mash of pop-ups and junk full screen promotions. This link may be better for the same content. 

https://abc7.com/gavin-newsom-press-conference-daily-update-coronavirus-in-california/6102767/

Six parameters:

1. A widespread expansion of coronavirus testing;
2. "Vigilant" protection of California's most vulnerable residents;
3. Focus on hospital care infrastructure and personal protective equipment, or PPE;

4. Engage researchers in academia, incuding the University of California, and at health and technology companies on the front lines of the pandemic;
5. "Redraw floor plans" at business locations with physical distancing in mind;
6. Determining when to re-institute certain measures, such as stay-at-home orders.

He says to ask him again in two weeks how they are coming on these and about timing of reopening. 

Pretty sensible approach. Leaves off tracking but it's a general structure for a plan. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, shoshin said:

This is a good alert but that website is a mash of pop-ups and junk full screen promotions. This link may be better for the same content. 

https://abc7.com/gavin-newsom-press-conference-daily-update-coronavirus-in-california/6102767/

Six parameters:

1. A widespread expansion of coronavirus testing;
2. "Vigilant" protection of California's most vulnerable residents;
3. Focus on hospital care infrastructure and personal protective equipment, or PPE;

4. Engage researchers in academia, incuding the University of California, and at health and technology companies on the front lines of the pandemic;
5. "Redraw floor plans" at business locations with physical distancing in mind;
6. Determining when to re-institute certain measures, such as stay-at-home orders.

He says to ask him again in two weeks how they are coming on these and about timing of reopening. 

Pretty sensible approach. Leaves off tracking but it's a general structure for a plan. 

So now the State of California is going to tell me how many people I can have in my office building....beyond the Building Code requirements? This should be interesting! 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So now the State of California is going to tell me how many people I can have in my office building....beyond the Building Code requirements? This should be interesting! 

...as CFO, try running a multi-million dollar operations in three states with all states having differing "plans" and definitions of essential businesses (NYS) or no categorization.......NYS, PA & NJ......

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Gawd....get over yourself and look up the meaning of “citizen”

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...as CFO, try running a multi-million dollar operations in three states with all states having differing "plans" and definitions of essential businesses (NYS) or no categorization.......NYS, PA & NJ......

Close...CEO of a multi million dollar company with offices all over California 

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

Gawd....get over yourself and look up the meaning of “citizen”

Gawd....yourself dude. You didn’t build my company. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

just like they are telling you to stay home now, yes. 

Oooooh, I like #5 in Newsom’s plan.  My company (which shall remain nameless) was planning on moving us all to a “hip”, open-concept office this summer with no cubicles and no walls between employees.  Just long-ass desks with about 3-4 feet of space between you and the next person.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Isn't it the same as the state redrawing the state's building code requirements?

4 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Just follow the guidelines. 

Yes sir! Can you come over and tell me how to run all other aspects of my business? 

Just now, GG said:

Isn't it the same as the state redrawing the state's building code requirements?

Excellent question. Yes, but there’s a process for writing building codes. The governor cannot rewrite it by executive order. 

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Excellent question. Yes, but there’s a process for writing building codes. The governor cannot rewrite it by executive order. 

Looks like there's a run on the boys who would be king in this crisis.  Which thin skinned narcissist can outdo one another?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, GG said:

Looks like there's a run on the boys who would be king in this crisis.  Which thin skinned narcissist can outdo one another?

You’re definitely right there, but I believe a few have missed my point. People do NOT sit in one place inside a functioning building. They’re constantly moving from workstations, to conference rooms, to restrooms, etc.  It’s nowhere near as simple as mandating ‘x’ number of people in a building. While I understand the idea has good intentions. There’s no way to effectively police it. Companies, like families, have to be given freedom to put these guidelines into best practice. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

You’re definitely right there, but I believe a few have missed my point. People do NOT sit in one place inside a functioning building. They’re constantly moving from workstations, to conference rooms, to restrooms, etc.  It’s nowhere near as simple as mandating ‘x’ number of people in a building. While I understand the idea has good intentions. There’s no way to effectively police it. Companies, like families, have to be given freedom to put these guidelines into best practice. 

You haven’t seen anything yet. No one has. How about we see why the guidelines say and try to follow them so we get back to work and don’t cause more shutdowns?

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I hope the answer is one. I love being the only one in the office. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, shoshin said:

You haven’t seen anything yet. No one has. How about we see why the guidelines say and try to follow them so we get back to work and don’t cause more shutdowns?

i wonder just where the Mendoza Line is for you.

source.gif

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's Time to Start Working on Our Post- Quarantine Wish Lists

by Stephen Kruiser

Original Article

As week 5 of the Wuhan Chinese Bat Flu shutdown gets underway I find myself entertaining brief moments of optimism.

I've been tending toward pessimism regarding everyone being able to go outside and have any fun again, fairly convinced that we might be out of commission until the fall. There must have been something in the delicious homebrew that my neighbor social-distance dropped at my door for Easter because I found myself in a couple of conversations on Monday about making plans when we get the freedom to roam again. Dare to dream, my friends! 

Here’s One Thing Officials Can Do to Make Lockdown Life Better: Stop Being Hypocritical Tyrants.

There are the police officers who thought it was a good idea to pester a little girl shooting baskets alone in a park. She was socially distanced. She was fine. If a game of street 3-on-3 suddenly broke out, well, that’s a different story. But she was alone. So leave her alone. The police later apologized, but they should have just used some common sense and avoided the whole situation. And there are the police officers in Colorado who arrested a dad playing ball with his daughter in a park. Leave people alone or this could start getting ugly. Most Americans support the police, but we don’t support a police state.

There are the officials who decided Easter weekend was a good opportunity to start messing with churches struggling like everyone else to deal with the new reality. California’s Mendocino County is banning church singing on a livestream. How does this help stop the spread of coronavirus? Kentucky’s Democrat governor took to taking down Christians’ license plates for going to church in their cars. How does this help halt the virus from spreading? It doesn’t. It just makes people who are already on edge that much edgier. Elections matter. Remember this in a few years and do better.

Michigan should also do better. It elected the cluelessly tyrannical Gretchen Whitmer as its governor. A few weeks ago Whitmer was a rising Democrat star. Now, she’s a petty thug who’s in over her head (which doesn’t rule her out of still being a rising Democrat star). She’s awful. She has gone on a power trip worthy of Blofeld, the nutty Bond villain who built a fortress in a volcano and fed his underlings to piranhas. . . .

It’s very hard on free people who are used to being able to do what they want when they want, who had a job one day and thanks to a government decree they don’t have a job the next day. They didn’t ask for any of this, nor did they cause it. When we see Chicago’s mayor ban haircuts, and then get one herself because she’s privileged and you’re not and she imposes a curfew on others for no evident reason, and when we see a Texas county judge apparently violate his own stay at home order, it sends the entirely wrong signal in a republic where the people are supposed to be the government.

It also hints at something a whole lot darker that our dear leaders had better not let fester. And the best thing they can do to prevent that is to stop acting like petty little tyrants.

I’m not saying that these people should be horswhipped naked through the streets. Yet. But examples need to be made, and I don’t just mean half-assed after-the-fact apologies.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Close...CEO of a multi million dollar company with offices all over California 

Gawd....yourself dude. You didn’t build my company. 

..we cannot close....we're deemed an Essential Business under NYS guidelines...…..we provide electrical services (200 employees) and maintenance to all hospitals locally, the University of Rochester medical campus, 47 Wegmans stores in NYS as well as their production facilities for starters...….