Cam to be released today

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That’s what we need to worry about with Allen.  No matter how big you are, those nfl hits caught up.  

And Newton was completing 67% of his passes before he hurt his shoulder 2 years ago and a MVP candidate.  Healthy, he’s a top 10 qb.  Of course, health is the question.

The Bills need to stop doing a lot of designed runs with Josh. QB sneaks fine, scramble if nothing is there? Yeah, nothing wrong with that. But on 3rd and 2 you don't run your QB unless it is the playoffs or a game you need to get into the playoffs. The Panthers got lazy with Cam because on any third and short Cam was able to get you 3 or 4 yards with ease. I feel like last season Daboll was getting a bit lazy with Josh Allen when it came to third and short situations. Josh has to develop as a passer and only use his legs when needed. 

Cam should be a cautionary tale for Josh and the Bills need to understand that easy yards can come at a high cost. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills need to stop doing a lot of designed runs with Josh. QB sneaks fine, scramble if nothing is there? Yeah, nothing wrong with that. But on 3rd and 2 you don't run your QB unless it is the playoffs or a game you need to get into the playoffs. The Panthers got lazy with Cam because on any third and short Cam was able to get you 3 or 4 yards with ease. I feel like last season Daboll was getting a bit lazy with Josh Allen when it came to third and short situations. Josh has to develop as a passer and only use his legs when needed. 

Cam should be a cautionary tale for Josh and the Bills need to understand that easy yards can come at a high cost. 

But the designed runs for Josh have been mostly sweeps, draws, and an occasional counter run. Carolina had Cam getting crushed on designed QB powers and dives like they were some high school team. Aside from that, Newton was getting killed on roughing the passer non calls. I guess the refs don’t call it because he’s too big “and should be able to take it.” That to me is the biggest problem, because Josh, being as big as he is, is not being protected by the refs. That’s the real issue. Josh is getting the same non treatment by the refs and eventually it will catch up. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DFT said:

I think Cam’s detractors come in two flavors.  Those that can’t get beyond their own impressions of the polarizing character he is (which is unfortunate, because there’s so much good there) and those like me that are concerned with his downside due to the absolute pounding he’s taken.  

There’s a great argument to be made that Cam is VERY similar in character to how many remember a young Jim Kelly to be.  Cocky, determined and sometimes, even to his detriment.  But when the chips are down, that’s the EXACT guy you want leading your team.  On the other side though, is the question that needs to be asked given his injury history...  Is his potential downside worth risking Allen’s potential upside?  That’s the thing I struggle answering, personally. The fans in Charlotte are rightfully upset.  Cam did a lot for the community.  He would be a tremendous “Buffalo guy”, no question.  But my main question still stands given his injury history (at least for me). 

I agree with this. I like Cam. The person and the QB. Is he great no, but he’s had a very good career. Honestly I don’t know what, if any situation, would allow him to come in and be named the starter tomorrow. Not that he isn’t better than some options, just what teams would do it. 

Buffalo could handle him with strong leadership from SM. Given his playing style, nobody would be surprised if Cam has to play a few games. Cam can get his body right for a season. Show some flashes and be on to his next chapter. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

They can’t afford him plus BB is not dealing with his attitude or ego

100 bucks says they roll with Tyrod since he’s being paid and they roll with a rookie in the draft. Plus newton turned down a trade to the chargers

I say he’s signing with Miami. They reportedly said they want to go into the season with 4 QBS on their roster. Assuming they don’t trade Rosen 

Anthony Lynn has to feel his seat getting warm. 

He got the "my entire OL went on IR" pass last year, but this next year if he doesn't do something, it's Movin' On I think.

Cam Newton would certainly give them a quality starting option to allow a rookie to develop if he's healthy.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I agree with almost everything you say in this thread, and am myself a Newton fan. The only thing I'd counter is, when you list out those flamboyant players the Pats took a chance on, none of them were QBs. I think Cam being a QB is what makes him too hot to handle for Belichick. BB would deal with the attitude and diva nature anywhere else, but not QB.

JMO. For all I know, BB will sign him tomorrow. I just dont personally see it as a good match.

edit: My brain skipped Mallet when I first read the post. My bad. But that said, Mallet is no Newton. At any level. Play or personality.

Belichick could be the best thing that ever happened to Newton.  If he is healthy or NE signs Winston, they would worry me the most.  I pray they talk themselves into Jarrett S and Hoyer as good enough. 

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Anthony Lynn has to feel his seat getting warm. 

He got the "my entire OL went on IR" pass last year, but this next year if he doesn't do something, it's Movin' On I think.

Cam Newton would certainly give them a quality starting option to allow a rookie to develop if he's healthy.

I’m not doubting his seat might be getting warm but he has a higher winning % than McDermott.  And they always have a ton of injuries. 

• Haha (+1) 1

How to put this politely?  Cam is a “nutjob” and the last person any sane GM or coach would want leading their team. He had a few good years when he could run, but those times are long gone. His passing has always been average.  His current value is name recognition and nothing more. 

• Like (+1) 1

You’re probably right, but I think he’d be extremely motivated this year.  I like Josh, but I think most people have to admit a healthy and motivated Cam is better than Josh. I agree that Newton is a headcase and not worth risking Josh’s development, but the offense we’re building for Josh would be perfect for Newton.  

7 hours ago, JimmyNoodles said:

How to put this politely?  Cam is a “nutjob” and the last person any sane GM or coach would want leading their team. He had a few good years when he could run, but those times are long gone. His passing has always been average.  His current value is name recognition and nothing more. 

+1   Thats why he was never a good QB.  Great athlete sure.  But thats not whats important for being a QB in the long run.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, I hate former MVPs and SB qbs too.  

I never got the hate Cam has gotten.  I bet a lot of the people who don’t like him are very similar looking.  Brady screams at his coaches - passionate.  Rivers talks crap to an opponent - competitor.  Rodgers has a td celebration- confident.  Newton does the same - cocky jerk who isn’t about the team.

i hope he is healthy and signs with a good team.  Guy is a baller and what we should hope Allen comes close to being. 

MVP 

SB

Heisman

National championship 

Most rushing yards for a qb 

rookie passing records

hell, we are building a statue for Allen who can’t sniff Newton’s resume.  

Have some balls and just outright call me a white racist you *****. 

13 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I thought Cam on the field was a dam good player most years. He really for years the most dynamic player in the NFL. I get being put off by his antics and persona but on the field Cam was electrifying to watch for most of his career. He has a winning record (68-55-1) so it isn't a case of a player putting up a lot of empty stats with limited success. I just think that the Panthers ran him into the ground and his mental makeup wasn't always there. 

I kind of hope he sits out 2020 (due to personal choice not because of the pandemic) to get his body healthy and allow him to assess his mental state of mind. I think he can still be a good starting caliber QB if given some time to heal his body and adjust his mental approach to the game. 

I don't like a lot of players in the NFL who carry themselves a certain way.  That "look at me, I'm better than you, I'm a big deal, so I'm going to behave like a petulant child" type.  Toss baker mayfield in there too I think he's a total douche as well.  But as far as Cam's accomplishments go, I simply never saw what he did as all that great amidst that flashy numbers here and there.  My opinion of course. 

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think bringing him in gives you a backup that allows you to play the exact same system and might be a lateral move from starter to backup. Josh also is constantly at high risk of injury. I know it’s a bonus thought here but You can also experiment with both qbs on the field at the same time. I’d love it. 

I think Beane was pretty clear in his post-season "that's a move you make when you have questions about your starter".

I think we need to focus on executing the offense we have correctly, not bringing in more gadgets and gimmicks.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Homey D. Clown said:

Have some balls and just outright call me a white racist you *****. 

Many people on this site will do that but he thought he would soft sell it. a month ago I was called a racist for saying I would rather have JA than Lamar Jackson. The fact that the only two QBs I like better than JA is Wilson and Mahomes has no bearing on my dislike of Jackson's future. I have realized  that my argument was so sound they had to make up a lie to make themselves feel better.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think Beane was pretty clear in his post-season "that's a move you make when you have questions about your starter".

I think we need to focus on executing the offense we have correctly, not bringing in more gadgets and gimmicks.

I like Josh but there’s clearly still questions about him. Not saying Newton should be brought in right now, but if he lingers on the market, is humbled, and in the right frame of mind, it’d be negligent for Beane not to kick the tires.  If Josh struggles or gets injured, the season is effectively over.