Does Diggs Count Against us for the Comp Formula?

Yeah... Probably an idiotic question, since he wasn't technically a free agent, but I just want to make sure that Diggs won't count against us, in terms of comp picks.

Although, we picked up so much DL help that we probably won't get anything, anyhow... Typical... I guess I'm just asking to be better informed. Thanks! 

43 minutes ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

As a trade, Diggs does not count against any comp formula.  As we signed 7 FAs so far and lost 3, we will very likely not be getting any comp picks next year.

Agree. No chance for comp picks. Maybe next year if they let Dawkins walk combined with a few others like DiMarco. I believe Murphy and Star are still under contract for 2021. So cutting them won’t help either in terms of net loss of free agents

Edited by Ethan in Portland

Agreed with the second and third posters on comp pick implications of the Diggs trade (there are none).  The comp pick formula is not entirely transparent.   Buffalo's lower priced free agents might not count in the formula, but since Butler, Addison, and Jefferson were not cheap Buffalo is probably out of the running for comp picks in 2021.  Things could change for the 2022 draft as Buffalo will hopefully have some long term stability in more positions.  They may be signing fewer higher priced free agents.

21 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

No, but we aren't getting Comp Picks with our signings IMO

Only one team in the AFC East deserves those, in light of their stellar history and upholding of standards of ’fair play’.  ?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Why does autocorrect do that?! ?
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

Lets face it Stefon Diggs is an unknown here in Buffalo, no interviews with the local media. His only comment was "Lets Do it. VERY INSPIRING

Have to agree, not very process-like. I'd really like to see some enthusiasm. For now I'm choosing to attribute it to social media-distancing. ?

I think the Patriots and Packers are winning the comp pick formula race so far. We aren’t getting one and I am good with that. 

Without the possibility of visits with draft picks, the draft this year will be more of a crapshoot than ever. So it seems like Beane went the proven commodity route with this year’s free agency. 

19 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Agreed with the second and third posters on comp pick implications of the Diggs trade (there are none).  The comp pick formula is not entirely transparent.   Buffalo's lower priced free agents might not count in the formula, but since Butler, Addison, and Jefferson were not cheap Buffalo is probably out of the running for comp picks in 2021.  Things could change for the 2022 draft as Buffalo will hopefully have some long term stability in more positions.  They may be signing fewer higher priced free agents.

Yes it is, Overthecap.com has been doing it for years predicting like 98% of comp picks every year. 

The pro bowls, games played, contract size only matters when net value and net loss are equal. Which determines whether you get a 7th rounder or not. 

I legit do this every year in explanation. The Bills have signed 7 Free Agents.....those 7 are 

Vernon Butler DT

Quinton Jefferson DT

Mario Addison DE

AJ Klein LB

Tyler Matakevich LB

Taiwan Jones( prob wobt qualify bc contract will be too small)

Josh Norman(was released and won’t count)

Bills have lost

Shaq Lawson DE

Jordan Phillips DT

Kevin Johnson CB

So as it stands right now the Bills are at a + 3 when it comes to additions, if Jones doesn’t qualify they are at a + 2. This means you get nothing because the only way to qualify for picks is to have equal or net loss. 

Lets see why why the Patriots get comp picks ever year and Bills fans think it’s a huge conspiracy. 

Patriots net loss is 4

The Patriots have lost

Tom Brady QB

Kyle Van Noy LB

Jamie Collins LB

Danny Shelton DT

Elandon Roberts LB

Nate Ebner ST

Ted Karras OL

Patriots have gained

Beau Allen 

Adrian Phillips

Dan Vitale

Damiere Byrd(won’t qualify due to contract size)

so 7 lost minus 3 gained equals -4, meaning yes folks the Patriots are in line for 4 compensatory picks next year

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Agree. No chance for comp picks. Maybe next year if they let Dawkins walk combined with a few others like DiMarco. I believe Murphy and Star are still under contract for 2021. So cutting them won’t help either in terms of net loss of free agents

And why would you imagine they would contemplate letting Dawkins walk? Highly unlikely.

1 hour ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

As a trade, Diggs does not count against any comp formula.  As we signed 7 FAs so far and lost 3, we will very likely not be getting any comp picks next year.

That stat is a bit misleading - People like Josh Norman do not count against the formula - since they were released by their former team. Also, some Bills FAs can still be signed by other teams - like Kevin Johnson might end up on the Broncos. 

Stated differently, while it does not look likely we will get a comp pick, it is not yet impossible.

Edit: didnt see gonzo's post, which is much clearer and has more details.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Lets face it Stefon Diggs is an unknown here in Buffalo, no interviews with the local media. His only comment was "Lets Do it. VERY INSPIRING

I'm not sure if you've heard, but there's this whole virus thing going around that seems to be disrupting normal procedures.

Comp picks are much more useful now that you can trade them, with how strong Beane has built the roster we are about to reap the rewards of the comp pick formula finally in a couple years. Years ago nobody even wanted a good portion of our free agents. Now we’re getting deep enough people sign our castoffs right away. Soon after we pay our core young guys we’ll have the tough decisions of letting really good players walk and we’ll see some picks coming our way. 

57 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Lol dimarco doesn't make enough to even be considered. You need to let of of big assets. Once again though stop worrying about comp picks.

Not true. First you need a net loss of free agents regardless of the amount or value of the free agent.  Then the comp picks are based on each contract the lost FA signed. Gilmore would have netted a 3rd round pick if Bills were net negative number of players signed.

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Lets see why why the Patriots get comp picks ever year and Bills fans think it’s a huge conspiracy. 

I don't think Bills fans ACTUALLY think it's a conspiracy. They just like to joke about it.

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Yes it is, Overthecap.com has been doing it for years predicting like 98% of comp picks every year. 

The pro bowls, games played, contract size only matters when net value and net loss are equal. Which determines whether you get a 7th rounder or not. 

I legit do this every year in explanation. The Bills have signed 7 Free Agents.....those 7 are 

Vernon Butler DT

Quinton Jefferson DT

Mario Addison DE

AJ Klein LB

Tyler Matakevich LB

Taiwan Jones( prob wobt qualify bc contract will be too small)

Josh Norman(was released and won’t count)

Bills have lost

Shaq Lawson DE

Jordan Phillips DT

Kevin Johnson CB

So as it stands right now the Bills are at a + 3 when it comes to additions, if Jones doesn’t qualify they are at a + 2. This means you get nothing because the only way to qualify for picks is to have equal or net loss. 

Patriots net loss is 4

The Patriots have lost

Tom Brady QB

Kyle Van Noy LB

Jamie Collins LB

Danny Shelton DT

Elandon Roberts LB

Nate Ebner ST

Ted Karras OL

Patriots have gained

Beau Allen 

Adrian Phillips

Dan Vitale

Damiere Byrd(won’t qualify due to contract size)

so 7 lost minus 3 gained equals -4, meaning yes folks the Patriots are in line for 4 compensatory picks next year

And with the exact comp pick formulas and process being very secretive, the Pats will get a really high pick for the GOAT Tom Brady, unfortunately. 

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't think Bills fans ACTUALLY think it's a conspiracy. They just like to joke about it.

The conspiracy could just be the existence of comp picks in the first place. I don't think it was a conspiracy, but more of a miscalculation. They were intended to be an equalizer for bad teams, but as it turns out, it's the building teams that by their very nature need to sign new players and often an array of medium-to-good ones as that's what's in free agency, while it's the established, good teams who can afford to shed the most players. Good teams are also more likely to have the 3rd round level players b/c that's part of why they were a good team. 

As Bills fans, for now, we need to abandon the idea of comp picks, b/c that is just not this administration's philosophy, and I get it (not saying if it's right or wrong). They'd rather pick up a bunch of players in a hope that many succeed b/c they probably have a better hit ratio (as they are established players in the NFL) than late 3rd and 4th round players.  

24 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

The conspiracy could just be the existence of comp picks in the first place. I don't think it was a conspiracy, but more of a miscalculation. They were intended to be an equalizer for bad teams, but as it turns out, it's the building teams that by their very nature need to sign new players and often an array of medium-to-good ones as that's what's in free agency, while it's the established, good teams who can afford to shed the most players. Good teams are also more likely to have the 3rd round level players b/c that's part of why they were a good team. 

As Bills fans, for now, we need to abandon the idea of comp picks, b/c that is just not this administration's philosophy, and I get it (not saying if it's right or wrong). They'd rather pick up a bunch of players in a hope that many succeed b/c they probably have a better hit ratio (as they are established players in the NFL) than late 3rd and 4th round players.  

I agree. I don't think they should exist. I don't think teams should be rewarded for letting players walk in free agency. And that includes the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

we need to abandon the idea of comp picks, b/c that is just not this administration's philosophy, 

This is not true, Beane has even stated that going forward they plan to work the comp pick formula.

Fans have to understand that in a period of large turnover it just isn't possible. They have completely gutted the roster and replaced every single player in the last 3 years -- you simply can't do that without aggressively playing the FA market. The Bills will certainly not be getting any comp picks next year, but they are on the horizon.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, QCity said:

This is not true, Beane has even stated that going forward they plan to work the comp pick formula.

Fans have to understand that in a period of large turnover it just isn't possible. They have completely gutted the roster and replaced every single player in the last 3 years -- you simply can't do that without aggressively playing the FA market. The Bills will certainly not be getting any comp picks next year, but they are on the horizon.

It is true for the current situation, but if he has said so, then we'll see. Beane says a lot of things but actions speak louder than words. Maybe going forward they will be, but as you said yourself it's just not possible right now, and that's a sensible move. We're not very far apart here. I should have probably not been so emphatic and clarified I meant in the current situation, so that's on me. 

Edited by thurst44

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Who cares

Many. All should. It's far from the be-all and end-all but it's important.

It's also still a bit early in the life cycle of this team to get them. In the 3rd and 4th years of Belichick's reign in NE, they got no comp picks. Whereas in year 5 when he was mostly dealing with his own players, he got a 3rd, a 5th and a 7th. And Belchick values comp picks very highly indeed, as do the Ravens, the Steelers, Packers, etc.

And as pointed out above, they're even more valuable now that they're tradeable.