Reed83HOF

Clowney considering options including a "prove it" short term deal

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I don’t agree with either of these statements 

I'd say Kelsay was the better run defender. He was good for a solo run stop at the line of scrimmage about once a game or every other game. His pass-rush running around everyone is what gave most posters here fits.

The more time passes, the more signing him makes sense to me.  

If he really will take a 15 mil deal plus incentives, I see it as a win win for us with our current window.   

We have the money and if he can’t put the numbers up in this defense and in this division, he has no one to blame but himself. 

I see it as mutually beneficial  

• Like (+1) 8

32 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think Vernon is just on the backside of his career and he is declining the closer he gets to 30.   I'd prefer to sign him at this point because I think Clowney is grossly overrated at the level of pay he looking for.  You have to make sure the money you put into a player matches the output you get from him.  In that sense Addison really is the best value out of the four players being discussed here.  

For one season, you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT have to make sure that the players output matches his pay.     It’s one season.  There are no long term ramifications.  It’ll all be over next year. 

Ask KC how they feel about paying sammy watkins.  They paid him a multi year deal and didn’t get the output to match his pay.....until it did and they won a SB

25 minutes ago, NewEra said:

For one season, you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT have to make sure that the players output matches his pay.     It’s one season.  There are no long term ramifications.  It’ll all be over next year. 

Ask KC how they feel about paying sammy watkins.  They paid him a multi year deal and didn’t get the output to match his pay.....until it did and they won a SB

If you have enough cap space you dont.   But paying someone a one year deal definitely impacts your team the year after.   If the Bills pay someone 17 million for one year and get jack in output then they dont recoup the money, they lose what would be roll over cap for the next season.

On the Watkins point you're surmising Watkins' output in the playoffs and superbowl was a prime factor in them being champions?   I'd argue, even with his big AFC Championship performance, Kelce, Hill and Damien Williams were bigger factors in the Chiefs being champions.

If paying Clowney gets the Bills over the top for a championship I am all for it.   But I look at his history and he hasn't been able to do that for any other team he has played for and those teams had better quarterbacks to start with.

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

If he really will take a 15 mil deal plus incentives, I see it as a win win for us with our current window.   

We have the money and if he can’t put the numbers up in this defense and in this division, he has no one to blame but himself. 

There are several teams that fall into this category.

My question for the Bills is................

Does signing Clowney and cutting Murphy outweigh the option of just keeping Murphy and go with what you got? Interesting indeed.

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If you have enough cap space you dont.   But paying someone a one year deal definitely impacts your team the year after.   If the Bills pay someone 17 million for one year and get jack in output then they dont recoup the money, they lose what would be roll over cap for the next season.

On the Watkins point you're surmising Watkins' output in the playoffs and superbowl was a prime factor in them being champions?   I'd argue, even with his big AFC Championship performance, Kelce, Hill and Damien Williams were bigger factors in the Chiefs being champions.

If paying Clowney gets the Bills over the top for a championship I am all for it.   But I look at his history and he hasn't been able to do that for any other team he has played for and those teams had better quarterbacks to start with.

They won the super bowl.  He played very well in the playoffs.  They won the super bowl.  Everyone has their opinion on the matter, the the fact is, the chiefs didn’t overpay for sammy.  They paid him for one reason.  To help them win a super bowl.  He did just that.  

It doesn’t matter that Kelce, hill and williams were bigger factors in winning a super bowl.  If the bills win the super bowl, there’s a good chance that some of our current defensive players would have a bigger impact than Clowney.  As long as he plays his 1/11 like McD asks.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Kelsay had 32.5 sacks in 10 seasons; Murphy has 24.0 in 5 seasons.

Murphy doesn't own a lunch pail, so.....

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

"Virgil! Come on down! You're the next contestant on - The Price is Right!!" :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

They won the super bowl.  He played very well in the playoffs.  They won the super bowl.  Everyone has their opinion on the matter, the the fact is, the chiefs didn’t overpay for sammy.  They paid him for one reason.  To help them win a super bowl.  He did just that.  

It doesn’t matter that Kelce, hill and williams were bigger factors in winning a super bowl.  If the bills win the super bowl, there’s a good chance that some of our current defensive players would have a bigger impact than Clowney.  As long as he plays his 1/11 like McD asks.

I'm gonna hate asking this - because of who we're talking about - but are you suggesting the Chiefs don't win the SB w/o Sammy? And yes, he played very well in playoffs. 

While I'm not in the "must have" Clowney camp, I believe his impact would be greater to the Bills D than Sammy was for the Chiefs. No, no, no Sammy apologists, I'm not knocking him. Just an opinion.

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

There are several teams that fall into this category.

My question for the Bills is................

Does signing Clowney and cutting Murphy outweigh the option of just keeping Murphy and go with what you got? Interesting indeed.

It's all about the impact a player brings. That's what the mindset ought to be, imo. 

16 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

I'm gonna hate asking this - because of who we're talking about - but are you suggesting the Chiefs don't win the SB w/o Sammy? And yes, he played very well in playoffs. 

While I'm not in the "must have" Clowney camp, I believe his impact would be greater to the Bills D than Sammy was for the Chiefs. No, no, no Sammy apologists, I'm not knocking him. Just an opinion.

It's all about the impact a player brings. That's what the mindset ought to be, imo. 

Are you suggesting that there’s actually a way to know this or find this out?  I don’t play pretend or what if.  They had sammy. They won the super bowl.  There is no “would they have won with out him?”  It doesn’t exist.  

32 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Are you suggesting that there’s actually a way to know this or find this out?  I don’t play pretend or what if.  They had sammy. They won the super bowl.  There is no “would they have won with out him?”  It doesn’t exist.  

I hear you. Poor approach on my part.

I was working the impact angle.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Anytime you over pay agents wet their lips and say my client (my pocketbook commission) needs to be overpaid.

You bend over to agents then you end up treating you are easy and you get what happened before - a player who had no obligation (Jason Peters) had extension negotiated and then agent recommended he hold out for more and same agent held Bills hostage.  Others agents saw that and acted accordingly.   

On 4/6/2020 at 12:08 PM, NewEra said:

If the browns sign Clowney, sure. Not sure why we wouldn’t just sign Clowney ourselves, instead of signing the guy that the browns wanted to replace with Clowney. 

I never understood the Vernon love tbh, but he’d be a nice rotational guy.  I think Jerry and Addison are better pass rushers, but I’m all for spending any additional money on pass rush or OL upgrades

Vernon is a beast when healthy.  But he just hasn’t been healthy enough.  He’s a guy who would be important to do a medical check on.  Of course, Clowney’s is another player where a medical evaluation is important.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:39 AM, Virgil said:

With our secondary and DT’s I could see Clowney having at least a 10 sack season. With the way our defense is built right now I am projecting our DE’s to have huge years in the sack department. 

The Seahawks already gave his # to someone else so not sure how interested they are still 

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)

Serious question, what position would he play for Buffalo? The team is already at least 9 deep on the defensive line or is OLB a consideration ? 

Additionally, last I read the team has just below $21 million remaining on their salary cap (that was before the draft).  Unless my information isn’t accurate, or he takes a salary below $10 mil, I’m not seeing how he gets paid for. Any addition insight here ?

Edited by BillsNutHawaii
Key Word left out

I would Clowney on a 2 year 30million contract but he I am pretty sure does not want to give a big discount to move when he can just return to Seattle where he seemed happy.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Seahawks already gave his # to someone else so not sure how interested they are still 

Could be a negotiation tactic. “ We don’t need you, but we’d love to have you if you come to your senses”.

2 minutes ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

Serious question, what position would he play for Buffalo? The team is already at least 9 deep on the defensive line or is OLB a consideration ? 

Additionally, last I read the team has just below $21 million remaining on their salary (that was before the draft).  Unless my information isn’t accurate, or he takes a salary below $10 mil, I’m not seeing how he gets paid for. Any addition insight here ?

DE. Murphy cut. Addison, Hughes, Epenesa, Jefferson, Clowney and maybe Johnson (youth on his side plus ST play) at DE would be more than nice.