Clowney considering options including a "prove it" short term deal

2 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

1 year prove it deal? Dude has had 6 years to prove it and has yet to show us his elite potential. Just a waste of potential... why would anyone pay 20 million for that.

He’s shown quite a bit. 

he’s proving if he’s very very good or elite.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

This has been proposed and supported by several people, just don't think it's how this regime rolls. They seem like a loyal crew who wouldn't just drop Murphy for a higher paid(although much better) player.

As the Clowney saga gets weirder, this scenario wouldn’t surprise.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea I'd love it, just cant see it happening.

It doesn't seem like McD and Beane are going to change the defensive line around beyond what has already been done.  Doubt we see Clowney or Everson Griffen or anyone else come in.  It's mind boggling why they believe in Trent Murphy as much as they do, as well as Star.

6 minutes ago, njbuff said:

How would anyone feel bringing him in on a 12 mill one year deal and cutting Murphy in the process?

at the start of the offseason- yes. I’ve been a Clowney advocate for awhile. 

at this point, it’s a bit meh. I don’t think he takes a 1 for 12. If he did the 4m-5m in extra cap space (dead plus salary) would justify the upgrade but if getting into the high teens I’m less enthusiastic about a DE with this roster make up.

maybe one of the corners out there instead. Call me insane but if cam can humble himself for 8 months, it would make me feel better with taking the bubble wrap off josh and seeing what he can do with his legs as a consistent threat. I’d hope they would have a read on whether it’s remotely possible given their history with him so not advocating as much as noting for similar price it’s insurance and also gives some flex. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Happy said:

It doesn't seem like McD and Beane are going to change the defensive line around beyond what has already been done.  Doubt we see Clowney or Everson Griffen or anyone else come in.  It's mind boggling why they believe in Trent Murphy as much as they do, as well as Star.

I think Star snaps are going to go way down and Murphy is maddeningly inconsistent.

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I think Star snaps are going to go way down and Murphy is maddeningly inconsistent.

I hope so regarding Star, though I wonder.  At the 1-tech, I believe it is Star and Harry; we know what we have in Star but not so much with Harry as he rotated in during his rookie season and was injured all of last season.  I'm fairly certain Jefferson will be the 3-tech along with the other DT that was acquired from Carolina.

Inconsistency is a problem with Murphy.  He will rack up a bunch of stats during a favorable matchup one week, then the next week or two he will disappear from being easily handled by the RT.  Murphy is the modern day Chris Kelsay -- try hard, high motor, lunch pail guy who you can't rely on to make plays.  Sounds like they're going to bring AJ in as he shows the ability to get more playing time.

3 hours ago, Happy said:

I hope so regarding Star, though I wonder.  At the 1-tech, I believe it is Star and Harry; we know what we have in Star but not so much with Harry as he rotated in during his rookie season and was injured all of last season.  I'm fairly certain Jefferson will be the 3-tech along with the other DT that was acquired from Carolina.

Inconsistency is a problem with Murphy.  He will rack up a bunch of stats during a favorable matchup one week, then the next week or two he will disappear from being easily handled by the RT.  Murphy is the modern day Chris Kelsay -- try hard, high motor, lunch pail guy who you can't rely on to make plays.  Sounds like they're going to bring AJ in as he shows the ability to get more playing time.

Yeah the hope here is that AJ and Phillips beat out Star and Murphy for the majority of snaps with Oliver and Hughes on the line. With Clowney I'm not sure he's good enough where I'd want to bring him in.

10 hours ago, Happy said:

I hope so regarding Star, though I wonder.  At the 1-tech, I believe it is Star and Harry; we know what we have in Star but not so much with Harry as he rotated in during his rookie season and was injured all of last season.

It depends how Phillips returns from the ACL tear, but he was *thisclose* to permanently taking over the majority of the snaps from Star when he got hurt. He was playing really well. 

Week 1: Star 30 snaps, Phillips 23

Week 2: Phillips and Star 28 snaps each

Week 3: Phillips 26, Star 21

If he can get back to that form sooner rather than later, that's good. The Bills certainly positioned themselves to move on from Star sooner than originally thought when they restructured his deal. 

16 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Friendly bet they win at least 9 games?

But then does that mean we'd have to be friends? ?

:thumbsup:

Well I dont really care about the Browns that much, or even know their schedule, but it's been a boring 2020, so why not. What do you have in mind?

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But then does that mean we'd have to be friends? ?

:thumbsup:

Well I dont really care about the Browns that much, or even know their schedule, but it's been a boring 2020, so why not. What do you have in mind?

Just FYI....he said the same thing to me when Tyrod was with the Browns.  ScottLaw told me that Tyrod was going to make me look like a fool.  

52 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Just FYI....he said the same thing to me when Tyrod was with the Browns.  ScottLaw told me that Tyrod was going to make me look like a fool.  

Little did he know, you dont need Tyrod to help with that! :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Little did he know, you dont need Tyrod to help with that! :thumbsup:

Let me tell you a story.  

When I was 11 years old, somehow both myself and parents got Halloween's date wrong.  We got to dress up for Halloween day....this year I was a week early.

So the entire day, I was dressed up in a Jim Kelly Bills uniform with a helmet while everyone else was dressed normally.  I was living in Minnesota.  I kinda got made fun of.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Let me tell you a story.  

When I was 11 years old, somehow both myself and parents got Halloween's date wrong.  We got to dress up for Halloween day....this year I was a week early.

So the entire day, I was dressed up in a Jim Kelly Bills uniform with a helmet while everyone else was dressed normally.  I was living in Minnesota.  I kinda got made fun of.

It's this type of emotional scarring that pushes kids into preferring Ranch with their wings.

• Haha (+1) 1