Clowney considering options including a "prove it" short term deal

In addition to being a "hold out" player, this blurb perfectly sums up the topic:

"It’s also worth remembering that Clowney isn’t negotiating from the strongest position, either. For all of his talent and potential, the defensive end hasn’t developed into a massive star; health has been an issue—he has only played a 16-game season once, is coming off a core muscle injury, and can’t currently take an in-person physical—and he’s only recorded 32 sacks during his six professional campaigns".

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

That is a lot of words used to say, "Cleveland has offered the most money and, for reasons unknown, Clowney has not accepted the offer."

We all know the reasons. He's been clear since his trade last year that he wants to play for a real contender. He's waiting for a big (enough) offer from a perennial winner.

The real question is: Are 2 playoff appearances in 3 years, and a young team full of potential, enough to have him consider the Bills a contender?

33 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We all know the reasons. He's been clear since his trade last year that he wants to play for a real contender. He's waiting for a big (enough) offer from a perennial winner.

The real question is: Are 2 playoff appearances in 3 years, and a young team full of potential, enough to have him consider the Bills a contender?

I consider them to be a contender, for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Clowney must be a lot smarter than he’s given credit for.

2 hours ago, Clutchwarfare said:

Not interested in "hold out" players. Houston traded him for a reason.

I guess Nuk sucks too.

I would take Clowney on this defense for sure! Give him $15 million on a 1 year deal. If he truly believes in himself he would know he could come here and SHINE then command what he really wants next year. To me, this would be a perfect storm for him. Top rated defense, great D line already, playoff team who just upgraded their roster. A no brainer.

I think adding Clowney would push us over the top. Fresh legs ALL game attacking the passer. We would give nightmares to every O Coordinator we face!

• Like (+1) 2

i mean if you're gonna take a prove it lower money deal might as well do it on a winner. at this point it's smart to wait until the dust has settled a bit with covid and maybe get into camp and teams see where their guys are at. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Fair assessment. It also may depend upon the term of the offer. If Cleveland is offering $16million for one year, it may be worthwhile for him to take the risk. If they are exclusively offering multi-year, he maybe uninterested in the length of term in being stuck on a franchise with such a history of calamity. There aren’t any indications of what the offer on the table is.

I can tell you that Cleveland has not offered a 1 year deal at this time.  I don’t know how long their offer is for though. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's comforting to know for when Beane calls you with the offer. But the question still stands: Would Clowney?

:beer:

Why are we making this about Clowney all of a sudden?

• Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

i mean if you're gonna take a prove it lower money deal might as well do it on a winner. at this point it's smart to wait until the dust has settled a bit with covid and maybe get into camp and teams see where their guys are at. 

I think that the COVID lockdown may have been holding up things with Clowney and Griffen.  Clowney needs a thorough medical check before anyone writes a check.  Griffen needs a visit so teams can be sure that he is in a good place mentally.  I think things will resolve for both soon. 

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

We’ll see. That schedule they have looks pretty damn easy.... I’m taking the over on the Browns. 

Are the Browns your new Jets for 2020?  We all know how much you nailed that one.

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

We’ll see. That schedule they have looks pretty damn easy.... I’m taking the over on the Browns. 

I am not defending or bashing the Browns, but..............

to say the words "Browns" and "Easy Schedule" in the same sentence is just wrong when they have haven't proven themselves whatsoever.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Either had the Bills prior to last season and we were saying the same thing about their schedule.

The Bills have been a perennial 6-8 win team, mired in mediocrity.

The Browns went 0-32 and celebrated an 8-8 year.

Cmon man.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Either had the Bills prior to last season and we were saying the same thing about their schedule.

All that came out of your mouth was "they haven't proven anything" and "they need a #1 WR."  You may have still been pining for Mike Gillislie also, and you wanted to tell anyone who would listen that the Jets were going to be really good.  Those of us who saw what McD and Beane were building accurately predicted the resulting success -- as well as the Jets' failure behind their farce of a HC.

Edited by eball
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billl said:

Clowney must be a lot smarter than he’s given credit for.

I guess Nuk sucks too.

Never said "sucks", just not interested. There is and always be endless debate on whether or not a player is selfish for holding out on his team/teammates. I am on the side of selfish but I respect the opinion of those who support their actions. Good example was Le'Veon Bell. I dont think he sucks, I just think he has zero regard for his teammates and I'm not interested in rooting for him on my team. The Jests can have him and Clowney and CJ2K all they want, keep em out of the Bills Locker Room.