Clowney considering options including a "prove it" short term deal

On 5/30/2020 at 4:09 AM, eball said:

At all.  Before the Bills went out and brought in who they did, and drafted AJ, you could have envisioned a scenario in which they signed Clowney...but not now.

While I do agree that he’s not in our plans, I wouldn’t rule it out just because we’ve added other players.  Trent can be cut and save us 8 mill.  We have the room to add 15 mill if we cut Trent.  So, while he have a very good DL right now, cutting Murphy and replacing him with Clowney would give us an elite DL imo.  

He’s exactly what we need imo.  One year deal isn’t breaking the bank.  It’s going for it.  This is a perfect year to go all in imo.  That being said, doesn’t seem like he’s a process guy and fits the McD mold.  That doesn’t mean he wouldn’t make our defense better....which makes our team better....which gives us a better chance to win the SB.  

I can dream

I’m sick of Clowney.  Seattle, Cleveland and rumors TN all made offers and he is way overvaluing his worth.  He’d be smart to just go back to Seattle and accept he is not getting an $18 mil. offer.  Even if it is a short deal so he can increase his stock for next year.  The crazy thing is if he’s not going to be a stud opposite Watt, he’s not going to do it all.

On 5/31/2020 at 12:59 PM, Charles Romes said:

McDermott loves to rotate and limited snaps may be exactly what Clowney needs to be his best. 

Maybe, but you don't pay someone 17 plus million to take limited snaps. This is why this regime favors very good scheme specific DL players over superstars that consume your cap. We got Tre and then Edmunds coming up. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Maybe, but you don't pay someone 17 plus million to take limited snaps. This is why this regime favors very good scheme specific DL players over superstars that consume your cap. We got Tre and then Edmunds coming up. 

This.

19 minutes ago, Dopey said:

This.

24 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

If it’s for only 1 year you can. 

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

Unless of course you have a one year window where you can afford it and that one player just might be the thing that brings the Lombardi to Niagara Square. 

The ball is basically in his court. He's had offers from teams seen as contenders and otherwise, but is still not on a roster. It's strictly about $$$ at this point and maybe he doesn't want to participate in any team's TC. Who knows? He will be on a roster somewhere by the middle-end of August with the team that offers him the most money, regardless of whether they are viewed as a contending team or not. It won't be us. 

1 hour ago, MrSarcasm said:

Yeah because you still aren't paying him 17 mil per season AND you have 4+ years locked up. Big difference.

First of all it’s only one year hypothetically and not restricting any extensions or other free agent signings 

The top ten pick is still a valuable asset to use on a player only getting around half the snaps on defense. despite the dui charge I think he will get more than that as his career goes on, but the system will always be set up for him to split snaps. 

edit: and then you have to pay him big bucks to split snaps if it works out. 

Edited by Chemical

16 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Unless of course you have a one year window where you can afford it and that one player just might be the thing that brings the Lombardi to Niagara Square. 

If this was true, then of course.  But he has not done so for his previous teams.  How many additional wins does he deliver?

26 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

If this was true, then of course.  But he has not done so for his previous teams.  How many additional wins does he deliver?

It’s not even possible to calculate that. It’s speculation. I would speculate that with this secondary some of those many pressures he gets while adding to the run defense would turn into sacks. 

32 minutes ago, Chemical said:

It’s not even possible to calculate that. It’s speculation. I would speculate that with this secondary some of those many pressures he gets while adding to the run defense would turn into sacks. 

Last season Seattle was 12-6 in a season Clowney dealt with injuries. In games he played 75% of the snaps they were 6-1 including 3 wins vs playoff teams. 

• Like (+1) 3