Leslie Frazier Promoted

9 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

It doesn't change anything. 

Formally for the purposes of NFL rules, any position coach or co-ordinator role is treated the same. An interview can only be forced upon a team for a Head Coach interview. 

Any little titles like Assistant Head Coach are meaningless for job interview rules purposes 

No. Its still a lateral. Even a D line or RB coach is considered a lateral to DC/Assistant HC. 

As has been stated tirelessly over the past 4 pages 

This thread is litterally someone stating this and then someone correcting them, then a few Fraizer posts, and then back to ghe start again lol

43 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

You and Bandit27 are probably right.  My problem is that the defense we run reminds me a bit of the Dick Jauron "bend but don't break" defense.  Only we have better players now and, admittedly, better coaching than Dick Jauron and his staff.  I'd prefer a more aggressive defense that gets after the QB and stops the run better than what we do.

That might be your stylistic preference. I just don't see the defenses that try to run that sort of scheme having huge success over the past 5-10 years in the NFL. That was what worked in the 00s. The last decade it has been the Seattle cover 3 play fundamentally sound 1st and 2nd down and force 3rd and longs then get teams off the field defenses that have succeeded. The 49ers are a very similar defense to us just with a more talented front and a less talented back end. The Patriots scheme is a little different but not radically. They old Belichick 3-4 with the outside backers coming at you has evolved into something pretty different. That doesn't mean there is no place for the blitz or the exotic pressure packages but the best teams are mainly using them as a change up. It is cyclical. It will change again I am sure but the Bills do by and large dictate to offenses but they do it with their coverage packages rather than with heavy blitzing fronts. 

56 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That was already the case, and is the case for all assistant coaches.

I don’t want to get in an argument with you, but once again, you’re wrong. Yes, poaching implies a higher position, but Director of Football Operations/Passing-RunningGame Coordinator/QC coaches/Director of Pro Personnel etc are all “upgrades” in the NFL, yet have little impact sans a ‘title upgrade’.

59 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Yeah I was googling there but couldn't find anything, I coulda swore I read the NFL got rid of the asst coach title, at least in being used in the aid of raiding coordinators. Basically that it was still a legit title, but it is not considered an actual higher position in terms of if a guys contract said he could only leave for a "higher" position.

What good is my memory tho. Where am I again?

You're still at the peepshow, Grandpa, still at the peepshow. 

• Like (+1) 1

They needed to upgrade him to keep him from walking next year as a HC. If we sign a top pass rusher and get progress from Oliver, we could be top 3 easily and start putting perrenial pro bowlers out they every year. Imagine if our offense actually stays on the field ....

10 hours ago, Hardhatharry said:

Does this even change anything? 

It is actually a brilliant move. If another team wanted to hire him I believe it would have to be a promotion since league rules do not allow other teams to make a lateral hire from another team's staff. The only way we could lose him is if another team wanted him as head coach now

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Locomark said:

They needed to upgrade him to keep him from walking next year as a HC. If we sign a top pass rusher and get progress from Oliver, we could be top 3 easily and start putting perrenial pro bowlers out they every year. Imagine if our offense actually stays on the field ....

Imagine if a top 3 D could hold a 16 point 3rd Q lead in a playoff game...

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Lots of player love on this move 

Apparently others know better.

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Pay bump but not a real position---a title.   How many teams have one?

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Imagine if a top 3 D could hold a 16 point 3rd Q lead in a playoff game...

This is great. I don't know why more teams don't do things like this to lock up top offensive and defensive coordinators. So many good ones move on to head coaching jobs, when they are probably better suited to their coordinator role. And there's no salary cap on coaches, right?