Leslie Frazier Promoted

51 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Woof, I had actually blocked that Chargers game out for a while there.  It certainly  shut up the "it can't get any worse that Tyrod" posters, lol. 

I am sure they can be forgiven for their temporary insanity.  Coach McD listened to his OC and put him in as starter (should not have announced, just done it) and OC got canned for it at end of year.

7 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

i just vehemently disagree with that particular call.  I understand the theory, it's just that is a "play not to lose" mindset.  They let Houston dictate the situation, rather than capitalizing on a position of strength (Bills' perspective) and dictating the situation to Houston.  In the end, the Bills paid the price for a conservative philosophy.

That is our strength though. That literally is our defense. We force teams into third and long then force them to take the underneath throw and rally and tackle. We have been running it for 3 years now. That is who we are. Sending a blitz on 3rd and 18 would have been the Bills away from who they are. I have no problem with the call. At all. Execution was the problem.

I agree Frazier deserves it but I do find it a bit curious that McDermott, whose own background is as a defensive coach and coordinator would have a defensive coordinator as an assistant head coach.  Ideally, it seems as if a head coach with a defensive background would want to have an offensive coordinator in whom he has enough trust to bestow the title of assistant head coach rather than a defensive guy since he would have a better grasp of what the defensive guy is doing anyway.  

This does suggest that McDermott has not yet placed the same level of trust in Brian Daboll, nor, of course, has production on the field for the offense risen to a level where you can say McDermott should trust Daboll as much as Frazier.

1 hour ago, Hardhatharry said:

Does this even change anything? 

You’re new to the game right? Haven’t seen anything this naive since BocaBills was shown the door...?

For others who really are new to the NFL, he can’t be poached for a DC job without offering him HC. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Yep. Leslie is an adult. He isn't a spit the dummy out merchant. I like the hire as soon as McDermott made it. I am a fan of first time Head Coaches having a former Head Coach in one of those coordinator spots. I always think it helps.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is our strength though. That literally is our defense. We force teams into third and long then force them to take the underneath throw and rally and tackle. We have been running it for 3 years now. That is who we are. Sending a blitz on 3rd and 18 would have been the Bills away from who they are. I have no problem with the call. At all. Execution was the problem.

You and Bandit27 are probably right.  My problem is that the defense we run reminds me a bit of the Dick Jauron "bend but don't break" defense.  Only we have better players now and, admittedly, better coaching than Dick Jauron and his staff.  I'd prefer a more aggressive defense that gets after the QB and stops the run better than what we do.

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I suspect the main reason for this is to make it more difficult for other teams to poach Frazier.

It may make it more attractive for him to stay, but it doesn’t change whether he can be poached for anything other than HC.

48 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

You’re new to the game right? Haven’t seen anything this naive since BocaBills was shown the door...?

For others who really are new to the NFL, he can’t be poached for a DC job without offering him HC. 

That was already the case, and is the case for all assistant coaches.

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

I agree, and it would help a bit with bringing in FA players, in which the franchise will look very stable, that has to be a plus in players eyes I would think. 

It absolutely is. I remember Jim Kelly saying that Brady told him one of the main reasons why they have been so successful in NE is because they run the same system year after year. Changing HC's, OC's, DC's as well as positional coaches all the time make it impossible to build chemistry/a good team.

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That was already the case, and is the case for all assistant coaches.

Yeah I was googling there but couldn't find anything, I coulda swore I read the NFL got rid of the asst coach title, at least in being used in the aid of raiding coordinators. Basically that it was still a legit title, but it is not considered an actual higher position in terms of if a guys contract said he could only leave for a "higher" position.

What good is my memory tho. Where am I again?

2 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Makes it harder for a team to sign him away from us by giving him asst HC title while still keeping him as a DC

Now he could only leave for a HC job

It doesn't change anything. 

Formally for the purposes of NFL rules, any position coach or co-ordinator role is treated the same. An interview can only be forced upon a team for a Head Coach interview. 

Any little titles like Assistant Head Coach are meaningless for job interview rules purposes 

2 hours ago, Herc11 said:

Does this also help protect from a team hiring him away as a DC/Assistant HC? I know a team can't take him laterally unless approved by the Bills, but if they were to offer a DC/Assistant HC job would that no longer of been a lateral move if he was still only officially a DC?

No. Its still a lateral. Even a D line or RB coach is considered a lateral to DC/Assistant HC. 

• Like (+1) 1