The Airplane Seat Incident.

Niagara Bill

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I flew Alligient to Nashville, and they have these newfangled really thin seats...and i loved em! Gave you more legroom. I loved that flight. Would 100% fly them again!

And i get free booze too..i bring enough airplane bottles on to sink a ship!

And next time, make sure you go drinking with me! 20 somethin hot bartenders with Daddy Issues all dig me, never wait for a drink! Might be that i tip big too, unlike those those 3 cheap bastards you mention above 

Allegiance .... thin maintenance staff to go along with the thin seats

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

by the sounds of it, safe than southwest!

I used to fly them exclusively into Sanford Florida .... numerous delays due to them changing planes,  and in one instance, we boarded/deplaned three times on different aircraft before they canceled the flight.  Following that, 60 Minutes did a feature on their maintenance issues. Gotta admit though, love non stop and smaller destination airports 

3 hours ago, Simon said:

Nobody "likes" standing in a line either but they don't assume that everybody else in the line is a a terrible person because of it.

And if a pretty girl in a low cut blouse reclined in front of you I bet your definition of like would change with startling speed. 

I'm just saying that assuming that every other person thinks exactly like you do inevitably leads to problems all around.

Shock is probably too strong a word, but I've definitely been surprised to see how fired up people are about it.

I don't have to travel for work and I like to drive across the US at least once every year so I am rarely even on planes. It's probably been 10 years since I flew and having the seat reclined in front of me didn't seem like an exceptionally heavy burden to bear at that time; maybe it's different now.

I guess I sort of assumed it was another manifestation of a culture where folks seem to be looking for reasons to be an aggrieved victim. Or maybe seating space has shrunk so much as airlines worship at the altar of the almighty dollar that folks are too worried about the effects to bother addressing the cause.

Either way, we are pretty much ###### as a culture and a country. :lol:

It’s a little bit of all of that honestly. The space has shrunk, the fees go up, security takes forever, etc... The whole experience of flying is pretty terrible. In general people look at it as a necessary evil. Whenever people do things to worsen that experience (ie reclining seats, not moving for families to be together, bringing extra carry ons, smelly food, farting, deplaning early, etc...) people just don’t have patience for it. “The experience already sucks for everyone, don’t be an a hole and make it worse.” That’s kind of my take on it anyways. It’s like baseball and there’s certain “unwritten rules” that just kind of keep it at “bad experience” instead of “worst experience ever.”

And you get what you pay for.

The only thing that matters regarding domestic flights is price.

Countless attempts have been made to offer more comfort, food, schedule reliability, convenience etc., and it doesn't matter.

US passengers, and to an even greater extent, those of other countries, vote with their choices, and it is nothing other than price.

Tons of empirical data to back that up, as well as tens of millions spent and lost offering other options.

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Bandito said:

I don’t get the people with paper boarding passes. Just use the boarding pass on the app. It’s mind blowing to see so many paper boarding passes these days 

I prefer the paper, and use the app as a backup, or if my flights change after checking in. 

As for deplaning, if I have a window seat and plenty of time, I'll let most of the plane get off before I even get out of my seat. 

Another thing I've been doing, since my carry on is a backpack, is I'll put it in the overhead on the opposite side of the aisle.  This way when I get out of my row, all I need to do is reach across and grab my pack. No need to stand, turn around, and get my pack. Saves time. 

Edited by Just Jack

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s a little bit of all of that honestly. The space has shrunk, the fees go up, security takes forever, etc... The whole experience of flying is pretty terrible. In general people look at it as a necessary evil. Whenever people do things to worsen that experience (ie reclining seats, not moving for families to be together, bringing extra carry ons, smelly food, farting, deplaning early, etc...) people just don’t have patience for it. “The experience already sucks for everyone, don’t be an a hole and make it worse.” That’s kind of my take on it anyways. It’s like baseball and there’s certain “unwritten rules” that just kind of keep it at “bad experience” instead of “worst experience ever.”

I've flown hundreds of times and it has never occurred to me that someone would be Tommy DiSimone in Goodfellas enraged that I pressed a button and slid the seat back. I’ve never thought twice about the person in front of me sliding his/her seat back and to be completely honest, I don’t actually see where it changes much of my space if any.  I’m not 6’+ tall, and sometimes feel bad for folks who have to squeeze in these seats, but unless they’re entering into Downward Dog I don’t really see it as an issue. By nature I’m pretty courteous, so I’d never slam a seat back to &$#@ up someone’s laptop, but I just don’t see it. 

I like to fly, and while it has its challenges I’m perpetually amazed and grateful to live in a time I can start the day in the cold northeast and end up in Sunny Fla by lunchtime, all for under a couple hundred bucks. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I've flown hundreds of times and it has never occurred to me that someone would be Tommy DiSimone in Goodfellas enraged that I pressed a button and slid the seat back. I’ve never thought twice about the person in front of me sliding his/her seat back and to be completely honest, I don’t actually see where it changes much of my space if any.  I’m not 6’+ tall, and sometimes feel bad for folks who have to squeeze in these seats, but unless they’re entering into Downward Dog I don’t really see it as an issue. By nature I’m pretty courteous, so I’d never slam a seat back to &$#@ up someone’s laptop, but I just don’t see it. 

I like to fly, and while it has its challenges I’m perpetually amazed and grateful to live in a time I can start the day in the cold northeast and end up in Sunny Fla by lunchtime, all for under a couple hundred bucks. 

It feels like this controversy has opened a lot of people’s eyes. At least half of the country though sided with the guy that punched the back of a seat for hours!! That’s how “anti-seat recliner” they were. That guy was clearly being a petty jerk. There was SO much empathy though coming from the, “anti-seat recliner” crew that they found it to be less offensive than the recline! 

Maybe it really does come down to your appreciation of the experience though. You make an interesting point. If you like to fly and appreciate the ability to get somewhere quickly and affordably you probably have a good deal of patience with it.

I already called it a “necessary evil” so it’s the opposite end of the spectrum for me. I find it miserable. I probably fly around 60 flights a year (eg: MSY-Midway, Midway to Buffalo, Buffalo to Midway, Midway to MSY counting as 4). Being in New Orleans I pretty much always have to transfer (although the New MSY is a fantastic airport). From the time I leave my house to get to the airport, wait in line, wait on security, wait to board the flight, etc...I’m just miserable. The last thing that I want is someone making it more miserable. I don’t ever view it as a good thing even when I’m heading on vacation. I just can’t wait to get off the plane (and hopefully not have to wait a ridiculous amount of time for my bags) :).

14 hours ago, sherpa said:

Countless attempts have been made to offer more comfort, food, schedule reliability, convenience etc., and it doesn't matter.

US passengers, and to an even greater extent, those of other countries, vote with their choices, and it is nothing other than price.

Tons of empirical data to back that up, as well as tens of millions spent and lost offering other options.

I agree when you are talking about personal travel, but damn those devalued miles and status drives business travel. 

17 hours ago, JoeF said:

I had the tray table down and was working on the Macbook on the tray table.  I was writing so was concentrating...When the woman reclined the screen got wedged under the tray table hook and the upper edge of her seat/the tray table insert came down on the screen, bent it and cracked the glass...I guess i used the word "crushed" to liberally ? but that's what happened.  The woman wasn't large and didn't recline with huge force -- it just happened....I had a glass protector so it didn't shatter.

I am really cautious now-- ready to close the lid on the Macbook whenever the person in front of me even adjusts in their seat.

Thanks, I was having trouble picturing it because laptops are pretty flexible.  Seems pretty unlucky.  But I will make sure I ask the person behind me from now on!

18 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Wow, $11K! Have never had an issue. Sounds like the 1 woman who did was told "knock it off" and she kept drinking!

Yeah, I imagine most flight crews will warn first as most people don't fully know the rules.  From FAA rules, it seems Jet Blue is right on point, rules don't say the airline has to provide the alcohol, just they have to serve it and any alcohol above 24% is considered a hazardous chemical,  which I'm sure entails other rules.

16 hours ago, sherpa said:

This statement means nothing.  I will always pay some extra money to take a direct flight instead of one or more layovers.   But I have my limits on how much more.

What attempts at comfort, food, convenience have the airlines attempted that you feel are reasonably priced?  Because I don't see too many.  You can argue price but it's about value.  That's what the airlines have failed at.

One example I have seen that has value is wifi for long flights.  Definitely a solid number of people pay for this  and will until they make it too expensive.

On 2/18/2020 at 4:55 PM, shrader said:

I witnessed probably the rudest moment of seat etiquette the last time I flew.  The second he sat down, this 20-something kid in the aisle across from me put his knees up on the back of the seat, at around his chest level, and gave a good push.  Over the course of the flight (fortunately a short one) he continued to slouch further and further down.  By the end of the flight, his ass was completely off the end of his seat.  Meanwhile, this super timid college aged girl was in front of him, was clearly frustrated, but wouldn't say anything.  Meanwhile, the flight attendant walked by several times too and didn't bother to do anything.

I'm probably an ass for not saying anything, but I wasn't going to cause a scene.

I used to travel a lot for work.  I never minded the person in front of me reclining.  I reclined sometimes myself - especially if they did.  I always thought that it is dumb to have the ability to recline if it was going to be seen as a problem.  I recently flew on Spirit and those seats did not recline.

Oh the other hand, I hope there’s a special place in hell for competent adults who push against the backs of other seats with their legs, bang on the seats in front of them, repeatedly drop their tray open and/or stick their shoeless feet through the spaces between or over the seats.  F those MFers. 

47 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

This statement means nothing.  I will always pay some extra money to take a direct flight instead of one or more layovers.   But I have my limits on how much more.

What attempts at comfort, food, convenience have the airlines attempted that you feel are reasonably priced?  Because I don't see too many.  You can argue price but it's about value.  That's what the airlines have failed at.

One example I have seen that has value is wifi for long flights.  Definitely a solid number of people pay for this  and will until they make it too expensive.

Means nothing?

The airlines have offered "comfort, food, convenience," and a host of other things that cost money.

Know what?

Passengers won't pay for it, proven over and over again, and your "reasonably priced" variable is something I doubt you have any idea of the underlying cost

I guarantee you  have no idea what it costs to offer various meals, and WIFI.

WIFI on an aluminum tube with limited space and significant cost to affix anything to the outside fuselage travelling at 600 mph is a different issue than sitting in your living room.

I also guarantee you have no idea what it costs to provide schedule reliability in bad weather.

Here's some information.

Airline crews are "legal" to certain weather minimums. Aircraft and those crews are required to be certified for the lower minimums.

That is extremely expensive.

Low cost airlines don't have that capability, so they simply cancel, but people buy those tickets every day betting that won't happen, because it usually doesn't.

Still, that reliability costs a lot of money.

Happens a lot.

Here's a tip.

A CEO of a major US airline was on CNBC last year. This exact discussion was held.

Airlines pay extreme attention to yield management issues.

Yield management is the industry term for how much to charge for a seat, and these things are done millions of times per day to achieve a balance.

His statement was that a $1 change in price in an economy ticket moves 20% of the market.

Get that? If the price for a seat changes by $1, 20% of the people will move to save the dollar.

Think those people are willing to pay for increased leg room in coach?

If so, you would be among a couple of airline CEO's who have been removed for making that bet, because they were wrong.

All of this has been offered before, at the cost of tens of millions, and it has always proved that price is what moves the seats in coach.

Edited by sherpa

2 hours ago, sherpa said:

Means nothing?

The airlines have offered "comfort, food, convenience," and a host of other things that cost money.

Know what?

Passengers won't pay for it, proven over and over again, and your "reasonably priced" variable is something I doubt you have any idea of the underlying cost

I guarantee you  have no idea what it costs to offer various meals, and WIFI.

WIFI on an aluminum tube with limited space and significant cost to affix anything to the outside fuselage travelling at 600 mph is a different issue than sitting in your living room.

I also guarantee you have no idea what it costs to provide schedule reliability in bad weather.

Here's some information.

Airline crews are "legal" to certain weather minimums. Aircraft and those crews are required to be certified for the lower minimums.

That is extremely expensive.

Low cost airlines don't have that capability, so they simply cancel, but people buy those tickets every day betting that won't happen, because it usually doesn't.

Still, that reliability costs a lot of money.

Happens a lot.

Here's a tip.

A CEO of a major US airline was on CNBC last year. This exact discussion was held.

Airlines pay extreme attention to yield management issues.

Yield management is the industry term for how much to charge for a seat, and these things are done millions of times per day to achieve a balance.

His statement was that a $1 change in price in an economy ticket moves 20% of the market.

Get that? If the price for a seat changes by $1, 20% of the people will move to save the dollar.

Think those people are willing to pay for increased leg room in coach?

If so, you would be among a couple of airline CEO's who have been removed for making that bet, because they were wrong.

All of this has been offered before, at the cost of tens of millions, and it has always proved that price is what moves the seats in coach.

Again, you are shortsighted with your definition of price and value.  Value certainly has to align for both the airlines and the consumer, price will always be a large factor in deciding value.

If a seat changes by $1 and 20% of people move, you seem to be ignoring the other 80%. 

If an airline ticket costs $1 extra dollar for extra legroom and that is properly advertised, taller people would snap those tickets up.  I certainly would.  

If the extra legroom costs, $20,$30,$40 or more, less people will be interested at each higher price bracket.  Would I be willing to pay $20 extra legroom from Cleveland to Chicago for a 45 minute flight?  No.  Would I be willing to pay it for Cleveland to LA?  Absolutely.  It's about the value.

And let's be real.  The airlines I've researched to buy tickets from all charge different prices for window/aisle/middle seat.  It never used to be like that.  How is that working out?  Seems to be doing ok...

You are correct, I don't know the cost of WIFI and meals and the breakdown of everything.  I just know that the airline has to offer a convenience at a price people find reasonable for them to take advantage.  If CEO's misjudge the value, well, then they failed at their job.  I'm not someone who's against the airlines, I'm just calling it as I see it as a consumer.

And yes, part of the consumer market is all about lowest dollar.  Just like with gasoline for the car, it's kind of a contest.  Spirit Airlines is the perfect example of this.  They're all about the bait and switch.  Lowest ticket prices until you actually go through their reservation nickel-and-diming process then it costs as much or more than the major carriers, and they bet you're too lazy to double check or restart the reservation process somewhere else.  And you can brag to people the original "bargain" price.

I definitely see people take advantage of the WIFI and I did it once on a long flight because of my kids.  The value was there for me, hopefully it is for the airlines as well to continue offering it.

42 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Again, you are shortsighted with your definition of price and value.  Value certainly has to align for both the airlines and the consumer, price will always be a large factor in deciding value.

If a seat changes by $1 and 20% of people move, you seem to be ignoring the other 80%. 

If an airline ticket costs $1 extra dollar for extra legroom and that is properly advertised, taller people would snap those tickets up.  I certainly would.  

If the extra legroom costs, $20,$30,$40 or more, less people will be interested at each higher price bracket.  Would I be willing to pay $20 extra legroom from Cleveland to Chicago for a 45 minute flight?  No.  Would I be willing to pay it for Cleveland to LA?  Absolutely.  It's about the value.

I'm shortsighted?

Do you think, for a second, that this hasn't been tried and the market has voted?

Everyday, all the time.

By the way, as I noted in my reply to you initially, you may not be familiar with this issue.

In the first case, you mentioned value regarding a number of options, and I mentioned that you may not be aware of the cost of these things.

In your most recent, you state something regarding how you might pay more for legroom on trips of lengthier duration, but not on shorter ones.

Did you think about this before you made that claim?

Once an airplane is configured, and they are as "fleets," not individually, which would be insanely idiotic and expensive, they are in the system.

Once in the system, they operate on all routes.

The people who decide these things do so on market results, and they are not stupid.

5 hours ago, sherpa said:

I'm shortsighted?

Do you think, for a second, that this hasn't been tried and the market has voted?

Everyday, all the time.

By the way, as I noted in my reply to you initially, you may not be familiar with this issue.

In the first case, you mentioned value regarding a number of options, and I mentioned that you may not be aware of the cost of these things.

In your most recent, you state something regarding how you might pay more for legroom on trips of lengthier duration, but not on shorter ones.

Did you think about this before you made that claim?

Once an airplane is configured, and they are as "fleets," not individually, which would be insanely idiotic and expensive, they are in the system.

Once in the system, they operate on all routes.

The people who decide these things do so on market results, and they are not stupid.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/inflight/cabin/economy.html

Hey, look there.  United Economy Plus.  6 inches more legroom in economy.  Those insane idiots!  It's so impossible!  And I can tell you from personal experience they've been sold out quickly on longer flights.

But you keep on pretending you're some kind of authority.

I'm not pretending anything,  just relating information on a subject that gets scores of attention and is looked at very closely tens of thousands a time per day as hundreds of thousands of passengers make fare decisions.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/airchive/2015/01/14/actually-airlines-are-giving-customers-exactly-what-they-want/#3dbd3c2d29bb

From Forbes:   

And airline products are determined almost entirely by customer preferences. US airline customers (and really passengers all over the world) have shown time and time again that they care about one factor above all else: price.

And not just price but base fares (frequently ignoring out of pocket travel costs and even taxes). Non-business travelers, in aggregate, will choose a seat offered at a low base fare, almost every time.

"Leisure travelers are an absolute majority of passengers for US airlines, even at full service carriers like United and Delta. And these passengers, voting with their wallets. Leisure travelers are an absolute majority of passengers for US airlines, even at full service carriers like United and Delta. And these passengers, voting with their wallets, have demonstrated that they care a lot more about low base fares than any of the service elements that Mr. Wu bemoans. Now clearly this doesn’t apply to every airline passenger, there are business travelers who choose flights based on schedules, status, or service, and even leisure passengers willing to pay a bit more for a more comfortable experience. But for about 60% of customers at US majors (and about 80% overall), price is king."

"Journal of Air Transport Management" had a lengthy article about it as well, which can be read as PDF.

19 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

.  Spirit Airlines is the perfect example of this.  They're all about the bait and switch.  Lowest ticket prices until you actually go through their reservation nickel-and-diming process then it costs as much or more than the major carriers, and they bet you're too lazy to double check or restart the reservation process somewhere else.  And you can brag to people the original "bargain" price.

I have not found this to be the case the two times i have used a budget airline. 

On Spirit, purchased " the Big Front Seat" for less then economy on traditional carriers for a 2 1/2 flight...well worth it. Those are just about the same as any domestic first class.

Flew Alligient from Richmond  to Nashville for the Bills game last fall. Not only was it the only direct, but they clearly stated up front how much you would pay for everything..seat selection , bags etc. I opted to lock in  for a an exit row aisle with a carry on, and felt it was still much cheaper than a traditional carrier would have charged for a similar seat.

BTW, I am one who thinks fees are perfectly a okay...you want a better seat at a concert? you pay for it. You want someone to deliver your TV instead of taking it home? You pay for , just like them delivering luggage to you. Give me the option to pay for the things that are important to me.

• Like (+1) 1

if i never get on a plane again that's fine with me

paid to do so for work is fine, but never voluntarily again

i don't mind flying, it's the delay and hassle for hours and hours that gets to me, it is never worth it unless the billable hours are clicking away

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have not found this to be the case the two times i have used a budget airline. 

On Spirit, purchased " the Big Front Seat" for less then economy on traditional carriers for a 2 1/2 flight...well worth it. Those are just about the same as any domestic first class.

Flew Alligient from Richmond  to Nashville for the Bills game last fall. Not only was it the only direct, but they clearly stated up front how much you would pay for everything..seat selection , bags etc. I opted to lock in  for a an exit row aisle with a carry on, and felt it was still much cheaper than a traditional carrier would have charged for a similar seat.

BTW, I am one who thinks fees are perfectly a okay...you want a better seat at a concert? you pay for it. You want someone to deliver your TV instead of taking it home? You pay for , just like them delivering luggage to you. Give me the option to pay for the things that are important to me.

I don't feel like there are enough available options to warrant the fees.  The extra leg room seats are the biggest scam of all.  Once no one pays for them, and it seems like they never do, they just give those things away to those without an assigned seat.  That's my scam anytime I'm on delta now.  Don't check into the flight ahead of time, get a boarding pass that says "seat assigned at gate", then enjoy the extra leg room without paying for it.  That has worked for me every single time.

13 minutes ago, shrader said:

I don't feel like there are enough available options to warrant the fees.  The extra leg room seats are the biggest scam of all.  Once no one pays for them, and it seems like they never do, they just give those things away to those without an assigned seat.  That's my scam anytime I'm on delta now.  Don't check into the flight ahead of time, get a boarding pass that says "seat assigned at gate", then enjoy the extra leg room without paying for it.  That has worked for me every single time.

That's very smart!

I don't fly enough anymore to have status, so i have  become a hawk at waiting for the door to close and then jumping to an exit row if one was available. Been told the last couple times had to move back to original seat as those are premium seats and need to pay for them!?

I flew Frontier on the way out to Denver last week. Overall it was a good experience. Paid an extra $75 per seat for a checked bag, carryon, and the upfront “extra room” rows. That $75 also made the ticket fully refundable which was nice piece of mind when traveling with a 3 year old. I still like to fly Southwest whenever it makes sense because they’ve always been reliable, I usually take advantage of the free checked bags, and the great flexibility they have when haven’t to cancel / change. I’d certainly give Frontier another whirl if necessary though. Allegiant still scares me with the number of firsthand stories I’ve heard about cancelled / delayed flights. (Not to mention the maintenance)  

4 minutes ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

I flew Frontier on the way out to Denver last week. Overall it was a good experience. Paid an extra $75 per seat for a checked bag, carryon, and the upfront “extra room” rows. That $75 also made the ticket fully refundable which was nice piece of mind when traveling with a 3 year old. I still like to fly Southwest whenever it makes sense because they’ve always been reliable, I usually take advantage of the free checked bags, and the great flexibility they have when haven’t to cancel / change. I’d certainly give Frontier another whirl if necessary though. Allegiant still scares me with the number of firsthand stories I’ve heard about cancelled / delayed flights. (Not to mention the maintenance)  

I do enjoy Frontier, but it stinks here in Cincinnati when a flight of theirs that eventually is scheduled to land here gets delayed. They only have one or two gates and ZERO backup planes, so when a morning flight gets delayed somewhere, it eventually gets delayed here. 

And I will take Greyhound before I will ever set foot on an Allegiant plane. 

11 hours ago, sherpa said:

I'm not pretending anything,  just relating information on a subject that gets scores of attention and is looked at very closely tens of thousands a time per day as hundreds of thousands of passengers make fare decisions.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/airchive/2015/01/14/actually-airlines-are-giving-customers-exactly-what-they-want/#3dbd3c2d29bb

From Forbes:   

And airline products are determined almost entirely by customer preferences. US airline customers (and really passengers all over the world) have shown time and time again that they care about one factor above all else: price.

And not just price but base fares (frequently ignoring out of pocket travel costs and even taxes). Non-business travelers, in aggregate, will choose a seat offered at a low base fare, almost every time.

"Leisure travelers are an absolute majority of passengers for US airlines, even at full service carriers like United and Delta. And these passengers, voting with their wallets. Leisure travelers are an absolute majority of passengers for US airlines, even at full service carriers like United and Delta. And these passengers, voting with their wallets, have demonstrated that they care a lot more about low base fares than any of the service elements that Mr. Wu bemoans. Now clearly this doesn’t apply to every airline passenger, there are business travelers who choose flights based on schedules, status, or service, and even leisure passengers willing to pay a bit more for a more comfortable experience. But for about 60% of customers at US majors (and about 80% overall), price is king."

"Journal of Air Transport Management" had a lengthy article about it as well, which can be read as PDF.

Hey, I understand what you're saying.  And obviously plenty of people stare at the numbers and draw the same generalities.

Flying is expensive, so many people are obsessed with keeping the cost as low as possible so it's certainly a difficult customer base and good market research with creativity are required.

But it's really about creating value for both the company and customer.  United has a row or two of economy plus because enough of its target customers will pay extra for that option allowing them to make a little money at it.  They may not sell them all out each flight, be able to do an entire plane with that kind of seating (as was attempted in the past), but they've offered it since about 2017 so they must turn some kind of profit from it.

But from the Forbes article:  For example, in 2008 US Airways decided to follow in the footsteps of Spirit Airlines and charge for drinks onboard instead of offering them for free. Customer reaction, in the form of booking away from US Airways was swift, and they dropped the policy within seven months. Conversely, American launched its “More Room Throughout Coach” concept in 2000, taking seats out of its airplane (improving comfort) to dry and draw premium yields. The initiative fell apart by 2004 in the face of heavy competition from low cost carriers (LCCs). At every turn, whether by shifting to an a-la-carte pricing model, or investing resources into improving reliability and on-time performance, US airlines have grown adept at giving customers exactly what they’ll pay for.  

You can argue customers leaving Us Air over drink charging was all about money but for me it was about diminishing the value of what the ticket offered.  And unless all the major airlines make the same change people get pissed off and leave.

3 hours ago, shrader said:

Glad it works for you, I did this one time about 15 years ago and we almost got bumped off the flight as it was overbooked and we didn't have assigned seats.  

On 2/21/2020 at 3:42 PM, GaryPinC said:

Glad it works for you, I did this one time about 15 years ago and we almost got bumped off the flight as it was overbooked and we didn't have assigned seats.  

Yeah, it’s definitely more of a recent thing, maybe in the last 2-3 years. It’s only been a delta thing though. I book the best price I can find so I’m bouncing around from airline to airline. 

I’m a big guy 6’2” 270lbs. And I travel a lot. The only real solution to not having to deal with people on planes is to fly business. 

If you have to fly Economy - ***** em. Recline away.

It’s your right. It’s your chair.

If the guy in front of me reclines, that’s an automatic recline for me. I never feel so entitled as to tell a person what to do with their chair. I’ll give them the big exhale and that’s It. 

13 hours ago, Bakin said:

I’m a big guy 6’2” 270lbs. And I travel a lot. The only real solution to not having to deal with people on planes is to fly business. 

If you have to fly Economy - ***** em. Recline away.

It’s your right. It’s your chair.

If the guy in front of me reclines, that’s an automatic recline for me. I never feel so entitled as to tell a person what to do with their chair. I’ll give them the big exhale and that’s It. 

i'm 6'6" and tilt 3 spins sometimes, i have never had a major hassle, i don't demand a halo or space bubble of 1 foot or i feel impinged upon

riding the subway daily in Toronto make help get over things that don't matter

The problem with flying starts way before take off. 

1. You need to arrive at the airport 2 hours in advance.  Two hours!  WTF?  TSA can't be more efficient than that?  Hire more agents.  If you want to get the pre-check you hand over a $100.  How is that fair?  If you have $100 you can skip the line but if you're on food stamps you can't? 
  2. You take off your shoes and walk across a bunion, toe jam, and athlete's feet infested, filthy floor.
  3. You get stripped searched and x-rayed.
  4. You get the luxury of paying $7 for a coke and $30 for a cold cheeseburger at McDonalds.   
  5.  You then sit around for an hour waiting for your flight to be delayed/cancelled with no information exchange.
  6. If you want to talk to a gate agent, you better not rely on English as your primary language.
  7. Then you board.  Some jackwagon immediately puts is stuff over your seat. 
  8. You sit down in a seat that a toddler would have trouble fitting in.
  9. The lady sitting next to you has chronic halitosis, dandruff, and a disturbing skin condition. 
  10. Then, selfish douche boy in front of you puts his seat back. 

Frankly, I'm surprised people don't go bug F more often? 

28 minutes ago, Irv said:

The problem with flying starts way before take off. 

1. You need to arrive at the airport 2 hours in advance.  Two hours!  WTF?  TSA can't be more efficient than that?  Hire more agents.  If you want to get the pre-check you hand over a $100.  How is that fair?  If you have $100 you can skip the line but if you're on food stamps you can't? 
  2. You take off your shoes and walk across a bunion, toe jam, and athlete's feet infested, filthy floor.
  3. You get stripped searched and x-rayed.
  4. You get the luxury of paying $7 for a coke and $30 for a cold cheeseburger at McDonalds.   
  5.  You then sit around for an hour waiting for your flight to be delayed/cancelled with no information exchange.
  6. If you want to talk to a gate agent, you better not rely on English as your primary language.
  7. Then you board.  Some jackwagon immediately puts is stuff over your seat. 
  8. You sit down in a seat that a toddler would have trouble fitting in.
  9. The lady sitting next to you has chronic halitosis, dandruff, and a disturbing skin condition. 
  10. Then, selfish douche boy in front of you puts his seat back. 

Frankly, I'm surprised people don't go bug F more often? 

Irv Crankstein.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I wish airlines would either just get rid of reclining seats or at least reduce the amount they can be reclined.

Even on 14+ hour long-haul flights, I do NOT recline my seat, simply because I don't want to be a dick to the person behind me.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/21/2020 at 12:24 PM, shrader said:

That’s fine and dandy if the flight is half full. 
If not then you got boned when you could be more comfortable’ for $26 for the next 3-4 hours. It’s worth it. 

On 2/18/2020 at 4:54 PM, Nextmanup said:

My position is that anyone who reclines their seat *at all* let alone all the way on an airplane ride is a total douche.  

We all know how much it sucks to have that seat go back in front of us, we are all in the same boat stuffed in there like sardines to begin with, and then to just say "F YOU!" and go full recline is, as I wrote, a total douche move.

Based upon this post, I’m guessing you find 99.9% of the people you come into contact with “total douches.”

What a bizarre take.