BillsMafi$

Josh Norman released

It would be ok if he actually played well for the last 4 years , but he's been awful and he's 32 now. I'm sure there are much better options out there.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

He was signed as shut down cb.  He’s not close to that but could be real solid in a #2 or #3 zone corner role in a defense he excelled in.  Not a huge need but if the price is right, it could be interesting. He could sign a one year, prove it deal that could benefit both parties.  

What is his value? And based on what?  I mean, camp fodder, sure, but no expectations.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He was signed as shut down cb.  He’s not close to that but could be real solid in a #2 or #3 zone corner role in a defense he excelled in.  Not a huge need but if the price is right, it could be interesting. He could sign a one year, prove it deal that could benefit both parties.  

He sucks now, CB.

Edited by dave mcbride

Just now, dave mcbride said:

He sucks now, CB.

He might be washed.  But he was in a different role in Washington than he was here.

im really critical of this regime, especially on offense.  But if SM chooses to pursue JN, I will blindly trust his judgment on defensive backs.  He’s excellent in terms of evaluating the position.  And if he doesn’t want to pursue him and just sign/ draft another guy, I’m perfectly find with that as well.

1 hour ago, Halloween Land said:

He'll be a Bill in 7 days.

I'm not so sure of that. 

If Ron Rivera came in, reviewed his body of work in terms of assignments and expectations, and said "bye Felicia!" I think McDermott may view that as a warning.

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Just me, but I'd like to see us maintain that shut down D by focusing on player development.  I think we're past the point on D where we need to bring in aging hired guns to plug holes.

• Like (+1) 1

If we're looking at CBs that are available and McD/Beane are familiar with, let's look at James Bradberry and Daryl Worley instead.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not so sure of that. 

If Ron Rivera came in, reviewed his body of work in terms of assignments and expectations, and said "bye Felicia!" I think McDermott may view that as a warning.

Just me, but I'd like to see us maintain that shut down D by focusing on player development.  I think we're past the point on D where we need to bring in aging hired guns to plug holes.

Trust me, I’m not losing any sleep over JN.  But I just think given his salary and supposed role in Washington, it would be a much different situation here.  But I’m more than fine with drafting a guy.  In fact, I’m prepared for a 1st round cb to make BillfromNYC lose his mind again! 🤯

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Trust me, I’m not losing any sleep over JN.  But I just think given his salary and supposed role in Washington, it would be a much different situation here.  But I’m more than fine with drafting a guy.  In fact, I’m prepared for a 1st round cb to make BillfromNYC lose his mind again! 🤯

NoooooOOOOOOOooooooooooooOOOOOo!

You're a Bad Man, @C.Biscuit97.  A Very Bad Man.😂

By "develop" I had in mind the "pick up younger FA who hasn't worked with his original team due to fit, but we think could be developed in our system" thing.

• Like (+1) 1

Norman was absolutely terrible this year, and positively awful last year. 

1 hour ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Another player to keep an eye on possibly?

#Redskins are releasing CB Josh Norman, source says. Intriguing situation to watch, as he now has time to find his new team ahead of free agency.

-Mike Garafalo

For players like this, I hope and pray the Bills have a talent department that evaluated current player talent level during the season.

This way Beane already knows that Norman is washed up and not to waste any time on him...

We don't need anymore DBs retiring at halftime... :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm surprised ppl aren't higher on Levi. He was apart of a top 5 pass D in back to back seasons , with Tre on the other side . I still love his upside. I hope they grab a CB like KJ or give him an offer. Unless an elite or clear upgrade is available. 

I'm almost more concerned with the slot , I love Taron but his physical play , which I love , has made him injury prone

6 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Norman was absolutely terrible this year, and positively awful last year. 

But he played well 5 years ago.

First time in many years that I have real faith in our management that I don't worry about personnel decisions and generally don't spend much time thinking about them. If there's one thing they understand, it's how to run a defense.

20 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He might be washed.  But he was in a different role in Washington than he was here.

im really critical of this regime, especially on offense.  But if SM chooses to pursue JN, I will blindly trust his judgment on defensive backs.  He’s excellent in terms of evaluating the position.  And if he doesn’t want to pursue him and just sign/ draft another guy, I’m perfectly find with that as well.

I always think it’s tough for a guy like Norman to play for a small contract unless he’s chasing a ring.  32 years old and made $65M so he’s not going to take a prove it deal.  We made the playoffs so maybe an incentive laden deal would get it done.  If he’s worth it.  I haven’t seen him play in years, but it doesn’t sound like he’s played well.  Maybe it was scheme.  Maybe it was him.  Dunno. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsMafi$ said:

Another player to keep an eye on possibly?

#Redskins are releasing CB Josh Norman, source says. Intriguing situation to watch, as he now has time to find his new team ahead of free agency.

-Mike Garafalo

Here will be the new No2 CB, on a short term deal as he gets back in the scheme that made him alot of money

42 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

You crazy?  No way.  He sucks.  Given up 16 touchdowns over the last 2 seasons

In a heavy man Scheme. 

He will excel back in that scheme he should have never left.  and it isnt going to be big money.

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Here will be the new No2 CB, on a short term deal as he gets back in the scheme that made him alot of money

In a heavy man Scheme. 

He will excel back in that scheme he should have never left.  and it isnt going to be big money.

If its incentive-laden and low guarantee then it truly doesn't matter.  If he doesn't play well they can just cut him.  

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

If its incentive-laden and low guarantee then it truly doesn't matter.  If he doesn't play well they can just cut him.  

That is what it will be, a 1 year small contract that he could make more on incentives.  

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

after 4 crappy seasons? Gonna be 33 this season. Don't know why we'd be too interested.

klos, you hit it right on the nail.  Too old, too boisterous, and not productive in years.  Pass.

My only question is when he played for McDermott he played zone. 

Was he not asked to play man in Washington? 

Lots of guys excel at one and struggle with the other. 

Norman, who made his debut in 2012, had several season of elite production when he was with the Carolina Panthers, and was named a first-team All-Pro in 2015. He signed a five-year, $75 million contract with the Redskins before the 2016 season, but unfortunately those elite numbers didn’t follow him to Washington.

Over four seasons with the Redskins he intercepted seven passes and forced eight fumbles, well off the pace of even just his final season with the Panthers, during which he’d  intercepted four passes and returned two for touchdowns. He also had a habit of getting lost in coverage and rode the bench in the late portion of the 2019 season.

The Redskins will save just under $12.5 million in cap space by releasing Norman now, and take a $3 million hit in dead money.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-redskins-release-cb-josh-norman-152141231.html

28 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm surprised ppl aren't higher on Levi. He was apart of a top 5 pass D in back to back seasons , with Tre on the other side . I still love his upside. I hope they grab a CB like KJ or give him an offer. Unless an elite or clear upgrade is available. 

I'm almost more concerned with the slot , I love Taron but his physical play , which I love , has made him injury prone

It’s because Levi struggled for a stretch last season and most posters on this board aren’t ok with the ups and downs that occur week to week or season to season in the NFL. Player has to be an All-Pro consistently or else they’re worthless. 

It’s called being a fan and not having any ability to detach and assess, or evaluate talent. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'd pass. Levi is younger, cheaper, and better. I'd be in favor of bringing K. Johnson back on a 3 year deal. 

Could be interesting as a backup FS for Hyde. He played his best football in a zone defense. I bet the switch to FS would be possible, not easy but possible. There are no good backup options for Hyde on the roster now.

He ranked as Pro Football Focus’ 111th best cornerback in the NFL. Wallace was at 44 while Johnson was at 23. It hasn’t been just this season, either. Per PFF, in his first six seasons, Norman allowed 13 touchdowns. This past season, he’s allowed seven and over the past two, 16 total.

Plus, again, he’s 32, and on top of that, he was released by the Redskins. Who is their head coach? Ron Rivera, who was in Carolina in 2015 as well. Rivera didn’t think he could turn around Norman, even.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/14/redskins-release-josh-norman-buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott/

Edited by HOUSE