Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BillsMafi$

Tag for Phillips?

Recommended Posts

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2020/02/nfl-rumors-executives-believe-buffalo-bills-will-use-franchise-tag-jordan-phillips.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

He is definitely a tag and trade type player. We might just be looking for a 2nd rd pick.

 

that would be a nice return.  

 

What's his tag price?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

He is definitely a tag and trade type player. We might just be looking for a 2nd rd pick.

 

Add this to the long list of "Easier Said by Fans than Actually Done"

  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't the transition tag be a better option?

 

He might be worth more to us than anyone else.

Edited by buffalostu2
  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

 

Leaving aside the question of the Bills putting a $15M DT tag on a guy who for them, is a rotational player with Ed Oliver.....

 

.....given what he said in his post-season presser I don't see how Beane could possibly tag Jordan Phillips and retain much in the way of credibility with players.  He said, plain as plain can be, "Jordan Phillips has earned the right to test free agency".

 

You can't say that on the record about a guy then turn around and slap a tag on him, not if you want to be seen as a straight-up guy.

 

Edit: the exact words are correctly transcribed below.  Exact words were "earned the right to see what his value is on the market"

  • Like (+1) 12
  • Thanks! (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

He is definitely a tag and trade type player. We might just be looking for a 2nd rd pick.

A 2nd round pick???? I don’t think that is even close to a possibility 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

Add this to the long list of "Easier Said by Fans than Actually Done"

With his college numbers and his breakout season this year I could see a team making a trade for him. Obviously not for two 1st rd picks but a 2nd is not outrageous. 
 

He is very good against the run and show signs of being a 6 to 8 sack a year DT.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

He is definitely a tag and trade type player. We might just be looking for a 2nd rd pick.

 

I don't see that, at all. Likewise I don't see him getting tagged, there just isn't the value in doing it.

 

While there's always the possibility of 'smoke and mirrors' around this time of the year, Beane's comments regarding guys who have 'earned the right' to find out how FA values them, strike me as being pretty honest.

 

Phillips could be a classic example of a guy who gets overpaid due to a team having a glaring need, but there isn't a team in the league who would both pay him and also give up a pick, or picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The 2019 Tag Number for DTs was $15,209,000.

 

Just putting that out there for easy reference.

 

.....and that should end the talk about that.

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the deadlines for tagging a player and getting a long term deal done?

 

IF we tag Phillips, I see it mostly as a way to keep him in our building and have exclusive negotiating rights with him. More so than a tag-and-trade, or tag and pay him 1yr/$16M.

 

 

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

 

.....and that should end the talk about that.

 

I mean, not really. I was actually just putting it up for a reference point.

 

There are still other options than paying him $16M. We could use it to buy time to work out a long term deal. And "worst case" pay him the tag amount which we can afford with our crazy amount of cap space, and worry about replacing him next year.

 

4 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

With his college numbers and his breakout season this year I could see a team making a trade for him. Obviously not for two 1st rd picks but a 2nd is not outrageous. 
 

He is very good against the run and show signs of being a 6 to 8 sack a year DT.

 

We hear the fan suggestions every year, but how many tag-and-trades actually happen?

 

Not a lot of teams willing to give up good draft capital AND have to immediately sign a guy to a high-price deal. Usually only superstars/big names like Clowney.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The 2019 Tag Number for DTs was $15,209,000.

 

Just putting that out there for easy reference.

Yuck. No thank you. Spend that money on a DE that can get home and find me a space eater to split time with Starr. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Leaving aside the question of the Bills putting a $15M DT tag on a guy who for them, is a rotational player with Ed Oliver.....

 

.....given what he said in his post-season presser I don't see how Beane could possibly tag Jordan Phillips and retain much in the way of credibility with players.  He said, plain as plain can be, "Jordan Phillips has earned the right to test free agency".

 

You can't say that on the record about a guy then turn around and slap a tag on him, not if you want to be seen as a straight-up guy.

 

I wanted to get in front of this quickly & show it was Jason L reporting this. "Teams Figure" :lol:. His takes are almost as bad as Manish's (or is it Wyatt?)

 

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/2000211-sports-and-racing-nfl/77557249

 

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/1/11/14243176/more-on-the-lack-of-credibility-of-jason-la-canfora

 

image.thumb.png.40cdb0864ba688f029957313eda179f4.png

https://247sports.com/nfl/browns/Board/105323/Contents/This-sounds-more-realistic-Jason-La-Canfora-is-a-hack-71098804/

 

https://awfulannouncing.com/wwe/jason-la-canfora-fake-wwe-account-ric-flair.html

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Yuck. No thank you. Spend that money on a DE that can get home and find me a space eater to split time with Starr. 

 

We could do both and still have $60M in cap left over.

 

And Harry is coming back to split time with Star at the 1-tech spot. Jordan rotates at 3-Tech with Ed.

 

And if you consider both Ed and Harry are on Rookie deals, and Star just took a paycut, it isnt a ton of money to have invested in the Interior DL overall. I'm all for spending in the trenches.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cork LaScrew just reported that the Buffalo Bills will not tag Jordan Phillips but rather are concerned about retaining someone who is more likely to be highly sought after Frank Gore. Note: This is true because I posted it on the Internet.

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

What are the deadlines for tagging a player and getting a long term deal done?

 

IF we tag Phillips, I see it mostly as a way to keep him in our building and have exclusive negotiating rights with him. More so than a tag-and-trade, or tag and pay him 1yr/$16M.

 

 

 

I mean, not really. I was actually just putting it up for a reference point.

 

There are still other options than paying him $16M. We could use it to buy time to work out a long term deal. And "worst case" pay him the tag amount which we can afford with our crazy amount of cap space, and worry about replacing him next year.

 

Tags have to be issued by March 10th.

I like Phillips but I don't think he is worth tag value.

Not by a long shot.  But that's just me.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way this makes sense is if we’re looking to flip him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, or if we’re just needing to spend the cash. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

We could do both and still have $60M in cap left over.

 

And Harry is coming back to split time with Star at the 1-tech spot. Jordan rotates at 3-Tech with Ed.

 

And if you consider both Ed and Harry are on Rookie deals, and Star just took a paycut, it isnt a ton of money to have invested in the Interior DL overall. I'm all for spending in the trenches.

So you are ok with the one year tag for Phillips or looking for a longer deal? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

 

Tags have to be issued by March 10th.

 

 

Issued by March 10th, but don't they have some time after that to get a long term deal done before the player and team is stuck with the 1 year tag?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...