Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BillsMafi$

Tag for Phillips?

Recommended Posts

It would be dumb for the Bills to pay him $15M +

 

Even dumber for a team to trade for him to pay him $15M +. No team is going to want him that bad in my opinion. Not that much urgency to get him on their team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Oh heck no.

 

Beane sounded in the end of season presser as if this was not under consideration.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Yuck. No thank you. Spend that money on a DE that can get home and find me a space eater to split time with Starr. 

They have $80 million in cap space. They can do both.  The upside of the tag is it is only one year and no long term commitment or prorated signing bonus that hurts the cap in 2021 and beyond.  

Personally I would let Phillips walk and favor keeping Lawson.  But I think in the end both will be gone. It would nice to get some compensation, but probably the best hey can do is comp picks.   No way Lawson takes a team discount after the way he has been treated by this staff and regime.  Phillips on the other hand may test the waters and find out the market isn't as high as he thinks and signing back with the Bills who have treated him well may be best step.  It's amazing the duplicity of McD here.  Phillips was playing better than the hot shot rookie so Phillips started. Lawson has been better than Murphy every day they have been here and yet Murphy kept getting the starts until the very end of 2019.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

 

Beane has already said he will let him test FA.  We will all know what's up with him in another 6 weeks.

 

He put it a bit more positively.  Here's what Beane actually said:

 

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/brandon-beane-our-guys-are-hungry-and-we-ll-be-back

About 36 minutes in

Shaq: "Listen, us not picking up your option has nothing to do with us wanting you here, it's just where we are at this time, we would love for you to have a great year and sign you to a long term, so, I was very happy with Shaq and we'll obviously talk to his representatives"

Jordan: "I thought Jordan really stepped his game up this year, on the field but also bringing some young guys along.....I think Jordan's still got room to grow..he had a career year sack production so, he's earned the right to see what his value is on the market, and we'll just have to see where that goes"

 

You can't tell a guy he's "earned the right to see what his value is on the market", and then tag him and keep him from so doing.  Way to breed bad will.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A tenth of the cap or a mil per game?

 

 

i like the guy, but I never thought to myself he is with a mil per game as a rotational DT that’s meh vs the run. 
 

1) bills aren’t tagging anyone on the Current roster for 15 mil. 
 

2) I don’t envision a world where CP gets anyone else to pay him that either. 
 

3) once he learns this firsthand he might have a more reasonable figure that would be worth discussing,

 

4) there might be some D schemer out there that thinks he is still worth more than the Bills will believe. So be it. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd be very surprised if Phillips is a Bill next season.

Agreed.

 

I don't think this FO is going to pay him the guaranteed money he likely wants.

 

I think guys who show up in contract years are the riskiest of all contracts.  

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The 2019 Tag Number for DTs was $15,209,000.

 

Just putting that out there for easy reference.

Which would be the starting point for a new contract.  There’s zero chance of that happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I think guys who show up in contract years are the riskiest of all contracts.  

Not to mention he had 9.5 sacks on only 25 pressures, which is a ridiculous and unsustainable rate. This season was likely a flash in the pan for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like something that a troll or agent would throw out there.  I guess they're one in the same ....lol.  IMHO fat chance anyone is going to pay Phillips $15m per year or risk being stuck with that sized contract to try to facilitate a trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Sounds like something that a troll or agent would throw out there.  

 

Definitely an agency trying to hype this idea that Phillips is worth $15M+ a year. What's sad is that LaCanfora falls for this crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, QCity said:

Definitely an agency trying to hype this idea that Phillips is worth $15M+ a year. What's sad is that LaCanfora falls for this crap.

 

So earlier this year on social media, Phillips was saying by his play, he's a top-3 DT this year.  A $15M AAV contract would be exactly in line with that perceived value.

 

Phillips is currently paid as a top-16 4-3 DT at $4.5M AAV.  I think the Bills might be willing to put him in the top 10 or 12 - maybe even ~Lotulelei territory. 

Some may find that overpaying, I think it's consistent with what Beane has said that they want to keep the roster intact and not just bring in new guys who are around the same skill level.  If they have to overpay a little bit to do that I think they'll bite.

 

But if BigJ9797 comes in and says he's got a taker willing to pay him $13-15M AAV on a 3 yr contract, I think Beane will clap him on the shoulder and tell him that's wonderful! He's truly happy for him.

 

 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 million for a rotational guy?

 

No.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

He put it a bit more positively.  Here's what Beane actually said:

 

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/brandon-beane-our-guys-are-hungry-and-we-ll-be-back

About 36 minutes in

Shaq: "Listen, us not picking up your option has nothing to do with us wanting you here, it's just where we are at this time, we would love for you to have a great year and sign you to a long term, so, I was very happy with Shaq and we'll obviously talk to his representatives"

Jordan: "I thought Jordan really stepped his game up this year, on the field but also bringing some young guys along.....I think Jordan's still got room to grow..he had a career year sack production so, he's earned the right to see what his value is on the market, and we'll just have to see where that goes"

 

You can't tell a guy he's "earned the right to see what his value is on the market", and then tag him and keep him from so doing.  Way to breed bad will.

 

 

I guess it depends exactly what Beane meant when he said see what his value is on the market”. If they use the non-exclusive franchise tag, or the transition tag Phillips could still negotiate with other teams. Though using the non-exclusive franchise tag would make any other team actually signing him pretty unrealistic (since the Bills get two 1sts if they don’t match, which not matching would be a no-brainer).

 

But a transition tag would allow the Bills the opportunity to match an offer, and it wouldn’t really restrict Phillips from seeing what his value is on the market. This year’s transition tag number is $12.3M. That’s more than I want to spend on Phillips but it’s not totally unrealistic that the Bills decide to use it (though I still doubt they do).

 

I agree that the quote from Beane sounds more like he will let him test free agency though. 

 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Leaving aside the question of the Bills putting a $15M DT tag on a guy who for them, is a rotational player with Ed Oliver.....

 

.....given what he said in his post-season presser I don't see how Beane could possibly tag Jordan Phillips and retain much in the way of credibility with players.  He said, plain as plain can be, "Jordan Phillips has earned the right to test free agency".

 

You can't say that on the record about a guy then turn around and slap a tag on him, not if you want to be seen as a straight-up guy.

 

Not unless circumstances changed from date he said it and when he tags him and states why he changed stance.

 

Note: I did not see/hear the post-season presser so not know if what is being circulated is entire thing he said.  Press take many things out of context in effort to juice stories (i.e. "Quarterback hell").

 

Now if I am Phillips I sign it right away so it cannot be withdrawn.

1 hour ago, QCity said:

 

Definitely an agency trying to hype this idea that Phillips is worth $15M+ a year. What's sad is that LaCanfora falls for this crap.

 

Fall for it? He contributes to it.  LaConjecture is a snake oil salesman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

 

Not unless circumstances changed from date he said it and when he tags him and states why he changed stance.

 

Note: I did not see/hear the post-season presser so not know if what is being circulated is entire thing he said.  Press take many things out of context in effort to juice stories (i.e. "Quarterback hell").

 

Now if I am Phillips I sign it right away so it cannot be withdrawn.

 

Fall for it? He contributes to it.  LaConjecture is a snake oil salesman.

It is basically the entire thing and exactly what he said

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Note: I did not see/hear the post-season presser so not know if what is being circulated is entire thing he said.  Press take many things out of context in effort to juice stories (i.e. "Quarterback hell").

 

I did listen to the post season presser, went back and listened to it to time-stamp the relevant portion, and accurately transcribed what was said.

 

I am not press

 

Feel free to do your own due diligence (I provided the link and the timestamp)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he gets a big contract, we will get a 3rd-4th round comp pick next year, providing we lose more than we sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I guess it depends exactly what Beane meant when he said see what his value is on the market”. If they use the non-exclusive franchise tag, or the transition tag Phillips could still negotiate with other teams. Though using the non-exclusive franchise tag would make any other team actually signing him pretty unrealistic (since the Bills get two 1sts if they don’t match, which not matching would be a no-brainer).

 

But a transition tag would allow the Bills the opportunity to match an offer, and it wouldn’t really restrict Phillips from seeing what his value is on the market. This year’s transition tag number is $12.3M. That’s more than I want to spend on Phillips but it’s not totally unrealistic that the Bills decide to use it (though I still doubt they do).

 

I agree that the quote from Beane sounds more like he will let him test free agency though.

 

Fair point, but using either would (I think) set Phillips value above where we place it as a rotational DL. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...