Sign in to follow this  
BillsMafi$

Tag for Phillips?

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Issued by March 10th, but don't they have some time after that to get a long term deal done before the player and team is stuck with the 1 year tag?

As soon as Phillips signs the tag (which he would break his legs running to do that) it's a done deal.

The team then can try to trade up until I believe June.

Just now, atlbillsfan1975 said:

So you are ok with the one year tag for Phillips or looking for a longer deal? 

I'm ok with either. I'd like to get a longer deal done, as would the team and player, I assume.

IIRC, a team can tag a player but then has a window to also get a long term deal done. Or do I have that backwards.

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He’s not getting tagged

Agreed...It would be idiotic...

And I like JP...But still...😎

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

As soon as Phillips signs the tag (which he would break his legs running to do that) it's a done deal.

Ah ok.

Im still fine with either way. Whatever we do to keep him.

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ah ok.

Im still fine with either way. Whatever we do to keep him.

Beane has already said he will let him test FA.  We will all know what's up with him in another 6 weeks.

That would be insanely out of character for Beane

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

At 15 + million dollars, NFW, is he tagged, it would be better to give him 7 or 8 million a year for two years...

if the money is right we should resign Shaq and Jordan, but that’s in Beane’s capable hands...  

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm ok with either. I'd like to get a longer deal done, as would the team and player, I assume.

IIRC, a team can tag a player but then has a window to also get a long term deal done. Or do I have that backwards.

I can go either way on Phillips. Ultimately I trust Beane. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Issued by March 10th, but don't they have some time after that to get a long term deal done before the player and team is stuck with the 1 year tag?

Yes, July 15th.  I'll add a few more lines to the off season dates post.

19 minutes ago, GG said:

That would be insanely out of character for Beane

Thank you. 

That is my impression too: the guy says what he means, and means what he says. 

He's CAREFUL about what he says sometimes and people read into it....but my take on Brandon Beane is that when he comes out and says something, you can bank on i

• Like (+1) 1

I just can't see the Bills using the franchise tag on Jordan Phillips.

Although I would love to bring him back, I believe his market value is in the $6-7 million per year range. 

Free Agency is crazy, and it's possible that a team throws out $8-9 million.  But I would be very surprised to see him getting a double-digit offer.

With that in consideration, it makes zero sense for Brandon Beane to give him $15-16 to lock him up for just one year.  

19 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I can go either way on Phillips. Ultimately I trust Beane. 

Same. While I would like to keep him, I also have a much shorter sighted perspective than Beane.

• Like (+1) 1

Using the tag as a tool to control the situation has long been underutilized by this organization.  Belichick used the tag on his PK twice and a back-up QB.  They have the cap space to apply the tag and still be able to sign other free agents.  Even if Lawson or Phillips played 2020 under the tag amount they would still have plenty of money to spend.  

I of course don't think either is worth that amount of money but being able to avoid a long term commitment, a signing bonus, and the dead cap hit if they were to be released later makes a lot of sense - even if the one year amount of cash is higher than you would want to pay.  

37 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, July 15th.  I'll add a few more lines to the off season dates post.

Ok, so we CAN tag him by 3/10 and still work out a long term deal before 7/15. Thank you.

It would be dumb for the Bills to pay him $15M +

Even dumber for a team to trade for him to pay him $15M +. No team is going to want him that bad in my opinion. Not that much urgency to get him on their team. 

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

Oh heck no.

Beane sounded in the end of season presser as if this was not under consideration.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Yuck. No thank you. Spend that money on a DE that can get home and find me a space eater to split time with Starr. 

They have $80 million in cap space. They can do both.  The upside of the tag is it is only one year and no long term commitment or prorated signing bonus that hurts the cap in 2021 and beyond.  

Personally I would let Phillips walk and favor keeping Lawson.  But I think in the end both will be gone. It would nice to get some compensation, but probably the best hey can do is comp picks.   No way Lawson takes a team discount after the way he has been treated by this staff and regime.  Phillips on the other hand may test the waters and find out the market isn't as high as he thinks and signing back with the Bills who have treated him well may be best step.  It's amazing the duplicity of McD here.  Phillips was playing better than the hot shot rookie so Phillips started. Lawson has been better than Murphy every day they have been here and yet Murphy kept getting the starts until the very end of 2019.  

40 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Beane has already said he will let him test FA.  We will all know what's up with him in another 6 weeks.

He put it a bit more positively.  Here's what Beane actually said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/brandon-beane-our-guys-are-hungry-and-we-ll-be-back

About 36 minutes in

Shaq: "Listen, us not picking up your option has nothing to do with us wanting you here, it's just where we are at this time, we would love for you to have a great year and sign you to a long term, so, I was very happy with Shaq and we'll obviously talk to his representatives"

Jordan: "I thought Jordan really stepped his game up this year, on the field but also bringing some young guys along.....I think Jordan's still got room to grow..he had a career year sack production so, he's earned the right to see what his value is on the market, and we'll just have to see where that goes"

You can't tell a guy he's "earned the right to see what his value is on the market", and then tag him and keep him from so doing.  Way to breed bad will.

• Like (+1) 1

A tenth of the cap or a mil per game?

i like the guy, but I never thought to myself he is with a mil per game as a rotational DT that’s meh vs the run. 

1) bills aren’t tagging anyone on the Current roster for 15 mil. 

2) I don’t envision a world where CP gets anyone else to pay him that either. 

3) once he learns this firsthand he might have a more reasonable figure that would be worth discussing,

4) there might be some D schemer out there that thinks he is still worth more than the Bills will believe. So be it. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd be very surprised if Phillips is a Bill next season.

Agreed.

I don't think this FO is going to pay him the guaranteed money he likely wants.

I think guys who show up in contract years are the riskiest of all contracts.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The 2019 Tag Number for DTs was $15,209,000.

Just putting that out there for easy reference.

Which would be the starting point for a new contract.  There’s zero chance of that happening.

5 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I think guys who show up in contract years are the riskiest of all contracts.  

Not to mention he had 9.5 sacks on only 25 pressures, which is a ridiculous and unsustainable rate. This season was likely a flash in the pan for him.

Sounds like something that a troll or agent would throw out there.  I guess they're one in the same ....lol.  IMHO fat chance anyone is going to pay Phillips $15m per year or risk being stuck with that sized contract to try to facilitate a trade.