What Are We Going To Do for Backup QB Next Year?

Irv

1 hour ago, Wsam4031 said:

i would actually love to see Fitzy back here in a backup role.

If the Bills had any interest in Fitz, they would have brought him in when Daboll was hired as OC going into 2018 season.  It would have made a TON of sense - vet with proven ability to start, well-known work ethic and understanding of the game, knows a ton about the E-P system, can inspire a meh OL and WR to play their best.  Allen could sit behind him all year and learn.

As it is, Fitzy is going into 2020 as the entrenched Miami starter with his pal Chan Gailey as the OC.  He ain't coming back to B-lo as our backup.  And if he were, I would totally hate it because every single team that has brought in Fitz to be the backup, has Something Happen to the starter and Fitz takes over.

1 hour ago, Irv said:

It's a distinct possibility if Brady goes to Miami.

That's the shadow of a great "If" in a weary land. 

I think they are fine with Barkley as the backup QB. Wither or not they should be is another question entirely. But McBeane seems to be fine with Barkley. I think they might draft in the late rounds a QB in order to have that project QB that every team seems to want as a third string QB. 

14 hours ago, rayray808 said:

gotta weigh two things:

1) best back up QB to help mentor and support Josh

2) best back up QB to step in just in case Josh goes down

Barkley is great at 1 and question mark on 2, if we bring in someone who is great at 2 but not at 1 - that would be the big question/debate for the front office

Hard to disagree with that

17 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm in the camp of draft a QB every year. I'd be fine with a low round project. It's an extreme long shot but maybe you find a guy that has some trade value down the road 

Agreed. It's the most important position in professional sports. You draft one every year until you find one... then the year after you find one, you draft a potential replacement. 

3 hours ago, dickleyjones said:

So Josh has nothing more to learn from a vet because it's his third year? I disagree. It is irrelevant what year it is for him - he still has plenty to learn. 

Yea basically no Vets really good to begin with so they only know how to do so much... They are the backup for a reason lol. We need younger guys now b.c you never know.

You are all crazy .. there is only one possibility because he was the most wanted man by Bills fans .. the Chosen One.. Josh Rosen. I heard he can be had for a sixth round pick and a double order of hot anchor bar wings .. Note: The dolphins also get pita chips and ranch dressing as Rosen is not worth the Blue Cheese and celery

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He had an open tib-fib fracture and many subsequent complications and 17 procedures to save his leg.  That bone has been eaten through.  He's 35 years old.  If he reinjures it, it's unlikely they could fix it again.  Why would he do this? He's getting paid.  He's had a good run.

"Smith developed sepsis, a potentially life-threatening condition that occurs when the body is fighting infection. As his medical team fought to save his life, he was under heavy sedation for pain and his memories of the early stages were limited. But there was another decision that was yet to come.

Smith told Schaap, "... [the] next thing I remember is waking up several weeks later faced with the decision of amputation or limb salvage at that point."

As to "why would he do this?" that would be a personal decision.

But as to the bone....is the rationale that given the particular type of break and the complications, there's no possible way it could have healed to full strength?

I have been told it's a misconception that a fracture site heals stronger than the rest of the bone, but that usually a healed break is neither stronger nor weaker than before.  Is that incorrect?  What would make the bone "eaten through" in this situation?

https://redskinswire.usatoday.com/2019/11/20/alex-smith-still-hopes-play-again/

Monday marked exactly one year since Washington Redskins quarterback Alex Smith fractured his lower leg in gruesome fashion against the Houston Texans, putting his career in the NFL in major doubt.  Looking back, he’s made remarkable progress.  After undergoing 17 surgeries and numerous infections, Smith is now running, throwing and working on other football preparations. At one point it was looking like Smith would never play football again after that fateful day; now it seems likely that he will take the field once again.

“I’m working on my own, doing some of that stuff, so it’s kind of the next phase in this,” Smith said, via Redskins.com. “It just feels good to be able to run and drop and throw.”

The details surrounding Smith’s recovery have been secretive over the past 12 months, but this past summer he declared that returning to the NFL was still the plan.

“I’ve never seen anything like the effort he’s pouring into his rehab,” interim head coach Bill Callahan said via Redskins.com. “It’s so impressive, and for him to be going out there in the stages he’s gone through, he’s got the ultimate respect from all of us.”

While there is still a long road to climb before he can put on a uniform once again and step out onto the field, the last 12 months have shown that Smith has the determination to do it and little will stand in his way.  “I’m hopeful for that,” Smith said. “I hope I never forget what this has been like to go through. I’m anxious to get back.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/12/30/alex-smith-says-his-focus-is-returning-field-not-joining-redskins-front-office/

Alex Smith stood in the middle of the locker room at Redskins Park on Monday and cracked a wry smile because he knew the question was coming.
“I love all the rumor mill and all the stuff that circulates out there. Like I said, my focus is to get out there and play again,” Smith said. “I have no aspirations other than getting on the field and playing football again.”   (....)

While he was adamant about his desire to return to the field, he did not clarify where he’s at with his rehab or when he might be able to play again.“Still progressing. . . . Haven’t hit a wall yet, and still moving forward,” said Smith, who has three years remaining on the four-year, $94 million extension he signed in 2018. He is set to make $21.4 million next season.  The goal, Smith explained, is to be back on the field in 2020 as Washington embarks on a new era (....)

The only thing that seemed clear Monday was this: Smith, who has three years remaining on his contract, said he doesn’t have a blueprint to follow in his recovery over the next six months, no other player he can emulate. But it will not include anything other than a plan to return to the field. “Without a doubt, still continuing to push this as far as it goes. I still have dreams to getting back to where I was, to getting back out there,” he said. “This has been a crazy ride with a lot of unforeseen turns, but without a doubt that’s still my goal.”

Bottom line:
If the truth is that the guy will not be able to be cleared to play football, no how no way, someone really should sit down and have a straight talk with him.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As to "why would he do this?" that would be a personal decision.

But as to the bone....is the rationale that given the particular type of break and the complications, there's no possible way it could have healed to full strength?

If the truth is that the guy will not be able to be cleared to play football, no how no way, someone really should sit down and have a straight talk with him.

This guy had a very atypical post-op course.  Every possible complication.  I can't rule out that he would be cleared to play.

As for the bolded part...I once made the same comment about Shazier (a guy who broke his NECK, with neuro deficits) when he claimed he was motivated by a comeback too the NFL.  I was ripped up by some, despite the ridiculousness of a guy who survived a broken neck ever getting cleared by a team physician to play again.

Edited by Mr. WEO

On 2/5/2020 at 10:19 AM, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Would you prefer Nick Mullens or Matt Moore?  They are the backups for the Chiefs and 49er's.  Do you think either of those teams would have made the SB playing their backup?  How many teams wouldn't be in big trouble if they needed to rely on their backup for more than a week or two? Matt Moore certainly has more experience than Barkley, but not sure how much was good.  On top of that Barkley played one game with mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers and a very stripped down game plan.  If they get someone else, great, but not anything near the top of their priority list.

Buffalo isn't a desired place to come as you know barring injury Allen is the starter all year so if you want to have the opportunity to start, it's not here. Where as this past year, Fitz and Tannerhill went to places that had starters who were on somewhat shaky ground so they knew they may get a chance to take over and they did.  Can see a guy like a Dalton, Winston, Cam, Flacco, etc if any are cut looking for places like the Tenn and Miami 's of this year.

Very true but then there is always the Brady scenario, at the time they (Pats/never thought including Bledsoe that Brady would or could be a replacement for the first round face of the franchise being Bledsoe at the time but Brady blew that out of the water & Mullens was very impressive in his time on the field !

I'm not saying that anything like that will happen in B/lo but it has happened before & we don't know if it could happen again so i guess i would say never say never !!

Especially when it comes to an unknown in the back up position, just saying .

I like Nick Mullens 

some could even say he has Super Bowl “experience”

On 2/5/2020 at 6:45 AM, BillsVet said:

Sure...I just don't understand the tremendous angst that's present almost every day with the team's roster. 

I'd rather live my life.  I've seen multiple HS classmates who passed away in recent weeks.  People being diagnosed with cancer. Life's too short to worry so much. 

I don’t understand why people come to a football discussion board to berate people for discussing all aspects of their team in the offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/5/2020 at 4:52 AM, ColeB said:

That’s why I’m of the opinion that you not only invest in a good backup QB, you also carry a 3rd.  If you’re serious about winning, you don’t have a backup that can’t win games for you and you don’t have a guy who played some QB in high school as your emergency quarterback.  It’s the most important position on the team.

I don’t understand why most teams don’t carry a 3rd QB on the roster.  Your starter gets hurt and is going to miss games, so your backup is now starting and you’re going to then add a guy from the practice squad or off the street?  The Bills are said to have a complex offense.   Could they really expect to have someone learn enough on one week. They’d have to really limit the number of plays.

There are currently only 16 games in an NFL season.  If you want to make the playoffs, you shouldn’t be cheap with the backup QBs.

I agree especially with the hits that Allen takes. I hope they invest in a decent back up

I think Bryce Perkins is the kind of player the Bills could get in the late rounds and have come in to compete for the backup QB position.  Smart kid, strong work ethic, mobile, and a player that teammates love.  Definitely some flaws to his game but he was a big reason for UVAs success.  He’s tough too, knows how to deliver the ball under pressure and doesn’t bail on the pocket.  I think he would be a great fit on the Bills.

3 hours ago, Ayjent said:

I think Bryce Perkins is the kind of player the Bills could get in the late rounds and have come in to compete for the backup QB position.  Smart kid, strong work ethic, mobile, and a player that teammates love.  Definitely some flaws to his game but he was a big reason for UVAs success.  He’s tough too, knows how to deliver the ball under pressure and doesn’t bail on the pocket.  I think he would be a great fit on the Bills.

I think (as every year) the Bills will bring in a couple UDFA for a look-see at camp and may even draft a guy in the 6th if they don't package those picks as part of trade or draft trade moves.

But I think we'll see Barkley holding the clipboard (and hopefully not doing more) next season.

On 2/6/2020 at 1:37 PM, T master said:

Very true but then there is always the Brady scenario, at the time they (Pats/never thought including Bledsoe that Brady would or could be a replacement for the first round face of the franchise being Bledsoe at the time but Brady blew that out of the water & Mullens was very impressive in his time on the field !

I'm not saying that anything like that will happen in B/lo but it has happened before & we don't know if it could happen again so i guess i would say never say never !!

Especially when it comes to an unknown in the back up position, just saying .

True, you never know when someone will find the next Brady, though do wonder if it's really finding the next Brady or is it having a guy like Belchick coaching him.  I wonder what would have happened in NE if Bledsoe hadn't got hurt, pretty much season ending.

The tone of the OP's thread was more that we need to improve on Barkley, doubt he' or many others here would be very happy with the next Mullins type. Sounds like he's hoping for someone like an Andy Dalton signing and my take is that will only happen if one of these guys gets desperate and doesn't find any opportunities to start someplace else.

There's also something to be said for the fact that Barkley has been in the offense for close to 2 years now and understands it.  If you were to bring in someone with a fair amount of experience again I'll pick on Dalton, not too worried about him learning it, but if your choice is between Barkley and someone with limited experience and no past connection to the offense, personally I'd prefer sticking with Barkley.

What are we gonna do you ask, well, either nothing or something, either way it will cause massive controversy and create a great schism that will rupture the very fabric of time space.... heady discussions like this are not for the mere sports forum, but should be kept behind closed doors and never spoken of in public.... 

or I could be altogether wrong, ya never know about these things...

Speaking in a Tuesday radio interview, Chargers GM Tom Telesco said he "likes our internal options" to replace Philip Rivers.

Those "internal options" are Tyrod Taylor and 2019 fifth-rounder Easton Stick. Taylor is an NFL-level starter, but a low-end one. He would make sense as a bridge quarterback if the Chargers decide to go the draft route. Should the Bolts decide to get in on the free agent frenzy — every quarterback in a deep market figures to get linked to L.A. — Taylor's $5 million salary could make him too expensive to be a backup

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Feb 11, 2020, 7:59 PM ET

If Tyrod's $5M is too expensive for San Diego, how would we feel about bringing him back to Buffalo to back up Allen?  

• Haha (+1) 1