What Are We Going To Do for Backup QB Next Year?

Irv

On 2/4/2020 at 9:03 PM, Irv said:

With the top UFA's out there -  I have to think most want to be starters or retire.  We can't stick with Barkley right?.   He was great in the one Jets game a while back but sucked this year.  Any thoughts?   With Josh running so much  worried he will get clocked.  

The will look around, See if there is anyone they like and if so bring them in to compete. 

this organization is clear one earns a spot on the team for the season based on how they work leading up to the 53. 

every season is a different season. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo86 said:

If Tyrod's $5M is too expensive for San Diego, how would we feel about bringing him back to Buffalo to back up Allen?  

If I told you how I'd really feel, I'd probably get perma-banned.

So I'll just summarize with, "I would not support this decision."

On 2/5/2020 at 12:17 AM, BillsVet said:

People are worried about who the backup QB will be? Really? 

what else are we gonna talk about?

I like Barkley, but he did underwhelm this year. Someone else mentioned, maybe a better athlete who challenges the D? Will Mariota get a starting role? Although I would think if he does not, he will want a place where he has a shot at QB1, that doesn't seem likely here.

On 2/4/2020 at 9:21 PM, LeGOATski said:

Steal the best QB from the XFL?

I think that would be, oddly, Cardale Jones! https://www.fantasyteamadvisors.com/xfl-week-1-qb-rankings/

clearly the best backup is Teddy Bridgewater.  But that guy will be starting somewhere next year.  Hopefully on the Chargers and NOT the Pats! 

FFIW, the Saints should keep him over Brees.  

On 2/4/2020 at 10:03 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No way to tell what we'll do until we see which guys actually become FA and the first tier of FA shakes out.  It also depends upon how much they like what Davis Webb has shown.

Keep in mind that Barkley's struggling performance in Week 16 is a very unusual circumstance.  He didn't step in behind the starting OL and hand off to the starting RB or throw to the starting WRs and TE; he was handing off to the #3 RB and throwing to the backup guys while the starters stood on the sideline in street clothes.  So if he does have to come in, I would expect his performance to be closer to last year than this year.   But it might be a message to him that he better hit the gym harder in the off season and also get a tune-up on his throwing technique.

Ryan Fitzpatrick :devil: 

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

I want someone that can challenge for the starting job.

I’m pretty sure you are going to be disappointed.

They will see Josh as The Man for this year and hope he continues to progress. Very big year for the young man....and Bills fans.