The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

She could be your wife's single sister too.

I guess you’re right!. Alas, she’s not....just the nutcase my brother married. And now she’s got my nephews and my niece all hold up together in the house. At any other time it’d be considered child abuse.

• Haha (+1) 1

On track to make new lows for sometime in October if things continue to progress.

Cases over the past week seem to have temporarily bottomed out.  Illinois seems to be the new emerging hotspot.  Would make sense considering Chicago was never hit all that hard comparatively to other cities.

844 is the deaths per day 7 day moving average.

I saw that new model where they are expecting a dramatic increase in deaths by the end of the year. I suppose it’s possible, assuming they are right which I am highly skeptical it would essentially mean that the herd-like immunity from cross reactive T cell immunity is a bunk theory.

We shall see.

4 minutes ago, Magox said:

I saw that new model where they are expecting a dramatic increase in deaths by the end of the year. I suppose it’s possible, assuming they are right which I am highly skeptical it would essentially mean that the herd-like immunity from cross reactive T cell immunity is a bunk theory.

We shall see.

@Magox I have not seen this new model, link please? 

9 minutes ago, GG said:

What a difference a few months makes?   Wondering what made IHME  do an about face in their estimates?

I think the imminent colder weather is the main driver in their model.  They don’t expect the 20% herd immunity level that some have guessed at to hold any water. And the biggest takeaway here is, and I hesitate to say it, the modelers think that masks don’t work.  They expect a big case increase by the end of Oct.

Here’s hoping they are just smoking the wacky tabacy.  The modelers expected an abatement in the summer that didn’t happen, now they expect an increase in the winter that may not occur either.

Edited by BeerLeagueHockey

51 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

I think the imminent colder weather is the main driver in their model.  They don’t expect the 20% herd immunity level that some have guessed at to hold any water. And the biggest takeaway here is, and I hesitate to say it, the modelers think that masks don’t work.  They expect a big case increase by the end of Oct.

Here’s hoping they are just smoking the wacky tabacy.  The modelers expected an abatement in the summer that didn’t happen, now they expect an increase in the winter that may not occur either.

That's why the logic isn't consistent.  There was no abatement in cases during summer peak, but there was a significant drop in mortality.  If they're concerned that the virus will turn more deadly as the weather cools, wouldn't it make more sense to have greater exposure of healthier people in the summer when the virus is at its weakest? 

They also don't explain why the virus will get more deadly in the fall. I understand why transmissions could increase as more people socialize indoors, but why would it turn more lethal?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GG said:

That's why the logic isn't consistent.  There was no abatement in cases during summer peak, but there was a significant drop in mortality.  If they're concerned that the virus will turn more deadly as the weather cools, wouldn't it make more sense to have greater exposure of healthier people in the summer when the virus is at its weakest? 

They also don't explain why the virus will get more deadly in the fall. I understand why transmissions could increase as more people socialize indoors, but why would it turn more lethal?

Definitely some inconsistencies when you look at the big picture. They are just modelers, their heads are deep in lots of data.

My guess for the dire modeling is this - the virus stays the same, but people get more susceptible to any virus as their immune systems wane in the low vitamin D winters.

All in all, I am a glass half full guy and the modelers are definitely glass half empty. I think we’ll be below the low end of their estimate, and I have a hunch it’ll be that dastardly thing called herd immunity. Time will tell.

3 hours ago, Magox said:

Yup this whole thing is a hoax and "the few cases" didn't turn into 190k deaths. All fake news

2 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Yup this whole thing is a hoax and "the few cases" didn't turn into 190k deaths. All fake news

Wtf are you talking about?

Who said it was a hoax?   Take your BS and baggage to someone else.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/3/2020 at 3:21 PM, GG said:

The unofficial GG model has the entire country on the Wuhan downswing by the end of August, now that the most populous states are past the peak.  Will be interesting to see the spin once new cases drop precipitously in sept.

Just checking in to see how the unofficial GG model is holding up?

4 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Unsurprising news as the college cases freak out rises. 

the fact that nobody is sick couldn't be because the 'tests" could just find common cold coronavirus after multiplying their genetic sample 35 TRILLION times

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/4/2020 at 6:48 PM, Chef Jim said:

Oh so now you NEED California.

😁

I know you're just bustin' chops, but a lot of people need CA to open up. We have a few really nice projects that are not only on hold, but also being cut back dramatically because companies are bleeding out and cutting previous jobs that were on the books to help their margins. As you know, that trickles down to the companies who were building those facilities and filling them with technology.

It's genuinely maddening to me that CA Covid numbers are ridiculously low, and Newsom doesn't care. He needs the state to schitt the bed until after the election.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

This "belief" is the very core of liberalism:

I made these mobility plots for about 9 states of varying latitude. Non-immunoligical legislation doesnt dent these viruses. It's all about Hope-Simpson seasonality and HIT and population density and things like that

I got a cryptic naughty message from the moderators for talking COVID on the main football board. So sensitive.

Trying to be right by posting here. But really... page 1171 is the best we got?

Here it is. UCLA, Stanford study finds for average 50-64 year old, chances of dying from COVID-19 are 1 in 19.1M

And I was spanked for panning masks on the sideline.

• Thank you (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, boater said:

I got a cryptic naughty message from the moderators for talking COVID on the main football board. So sensitive.

Trying to be right by posting here. But really... page 1171 is the best we got?

Here it is. UCLA, Stanford study finds for average 50-64 year old, chances of dying from COVID-19 are 1 in 19.1M

And I was spanked for panning masks on the sideline.

Same happened to me, there is a narrative that she needs to maintain. Although I do think the masks are good insurance for the football staff.

Edited by BeerLeagueHockey

Deaths and everything else continue to go lower.  Except cases even though it did drop nicely today.  Hope that continues.   I’m still confused by the JH model of expected deaths.  They clearly don’t buy into the T cell + Covid herd-like immunity and believe in the older theory that it re emerges seasonally like the flu.   I’m highly skeptical of that previous theory based on a number of factors.

in any case, another good reporting day.

27 minutes ago, Magox said:

Deaths and everything else continue to go lower.  Except cases even though it did drop nicely today.  Hope that continues.   I’m still confused by the JH model of expected deaths.  They clearly don’t buy into the T cell + Covid herd-like immunity and believe in the older theory that it re emerges seasonally like the flu.   I’m highly skeptical of that previous theory based on a number of factors.

Being involved in some Engineering models in the past, I honestly think they do not have a model input or "handle" for the innate T-cell / herd immunity.  I really think it'll be tough to get to the low end of the IHME numbers.  But I am just a guy on the internet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BeerLeagueHockey said:

Being involved in some Engineering models in the past, I honestly think they do not have a model input or "handle" for the innate T-cell / herd immunity.  I really think it'll be tough to get to the low end of the IHME numbers.  But I am just a guy on the internet.

Those are my suspicions as well.  I would be surprised if we hit over 250k by the end of the year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Media:  *compares these numbers with models that shut down the planet in March and then proceed to demand from governors explanations and justifications for 6 feet for life and why the goal posts have moved*

Jk that ain't happening.  

"Cases!" on college campuses!!!   "Long term side effects!!"