Who would you rather be a fan of today?

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

Fair enough...I respect your opinion...I just happen to disagree...

You see, to me Josh Allen doesn’t make bone headed plays due to lack of experience...he’s been playing football his whole life...he makes bone headed plays because it’s in his DNA- this insatiable appetite to play back yard sandlot football or, as fans like to call it, “hero ball”.  He appears to loath the “boring” or routine plays that keep the chains moving- those plays don’t show up on highlight reels, they aren’t remembered as key plays to victory...he seeks the low percentage/ high reward dramatic plays that will, in his mind, “save the day” if successful.  He is not a cerebral or calculating QB playing chess, but a reckless gambler who thinks he can out macho everyone on the field...

Now, who knows...maybe I’m wrong about all this.  But to me, in order for the Bills to be successful- in order for Josh Allen to become a true franchise QB he is going to have to suppress the reckless gambler in him and start to become more of a calculating, cerebral QB.

My take is that his gambling is due to having 2 cards short of a full house.  Need a bulldozer o-lineman who can provide JA another half-second when there’s a stack of chips in the middle of the table and WR who can get separation. All the teams who will win in playoffs have a full house with aces and kings.  Go Bills!!

5 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Who'd you rather be a fan of today? The Bills or:

The Patriots?

The Jets?

The Fish?

And that's just in our division. I'd rather be in OUR position than any of theirs.

OK, too small of a sample size for you? Well, how about we widen our search to the broader AFC as a whole:

Ravens?

Bengals?

Browns?

Steelers?

Texans?

Titans?

Colts?

Jaguars?

Chargers?

Raiders?

Broncos?

Chiefs?

Even on THAT list, I'd probably only want to swap places with the Chiefs, MAYBE the Ravens (based on coaching alone),  and possibly the Titans. That's it.  By my reckoning, the Bills' situation is better than TWELVE other AFC teams, which puts them in a really sweet spot at the moment. I know that spewing bile and raw emotion is all the rage these days and that logic and reason take a back seat more often than not. But if you look at the REALLY big picture, the Bills are in a pretty good place today with Beane and McDermott. Blowing all of it up would be a blunder of EPIC proportions.

The LAMP posting is strong with this one.  

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Imagine how the Texans felt last year. I’m not a Bill OBrien fan and would certainly understand if they canned him last year.

This is what watching Kelly Throw a pick in the Championship game against the Bengals felt like. This is what Ronnie Harmon dropping a pass in the EZ felt like. How about watching the better team lose in our first SB because we were COMPLETELY out coached.

Facts:

McD is a young coach learning his HC Craft. It’s tough to watch but a crap coach doesn’t get us as far as we got. He still has a sizable learning curve ahead of him. Does anyone think he isn’t introspective and doesn’t self scout? Does anyone think he only has yes men and no one to point out his gaffs to him? I don’t.

JA was/Is a project QB with still untapped Upside. Here comes the most important part: Exactly like McD , admits his faults, works on his weaknesses, square miles of room to grow. Some on here seem to believe this is as good as he can be. Some people on here are fools.

This team is a middling team in terms of talent. We have tremendous amounts of cap space, the best talent evaluators we have had since??? , and a GM most of us trust.

You can’t second guess the Football Gods. When two of your best players sandwich their QB for a sack that every QB goes down under but Watson doesn’t???? It hurts like hell but props to the kid. Let JA watch that play, learn from it and meditate on next year.

I LOVE where we are positioned in terms of the next few years in the League ?

Good assessment. But I need to be convinced that Josh will eventually eliminate these "dumb" decisions. I need to be convinced with time that Sean will fix his coaching flaws. Time management errors and "conservative strategies" will never launch this team beyond the WC round.  I guess my biggest FEAR is are we becoming the early Andy Dalton Bengals?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

The Patriots?

The Jets?

The Fish?

And that's just in our division. I'd rather be in OUR position than any of theirs.

OK, too small of a sample size for you? Well, how about we widen our search to the broader AFC as a whole:

Ravens?

Bengals?

Browns?

Steelers?

Texans?

Titans?

Colts?

Jaguars?

Chargers?

Raiders?

Broncos?

Chiefs?

Even on THAT list, I'd probably only want to swap places with the Chiefs, MAYBE the Ravens (based on coaching alone),  and possibly the Titans. That's it.  By my reckoning, the Bills' situation is better than TWELVE other AFC teams, which puts them in a really sweet spot at the moment. I know that spewing bile and raw emotion is all the rage these days and that logic and reason take a back seat more often than not. But if you look at the REALLY big picture, the Bills are in a pretty good place today with Beane and McDermott. Blowing all of it up would be a blunder of EPIC proportions.

If any of those other teams would promise to take Brian Daboll, I'd make them my 2nd favorite team in a heartbeat.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Fair enough...I respect your opinion...I just happen to disagree...

You see, to me Josh Allen doesn’t make bone headed plays due to lack of experience...he’s been playing football his whole life...he makes bone headed plays because it’s in his DNA- this insatiable appetite to play back yard sandlot football or, as fans like to call it, “hero ball”.  He appears to loath the “boring” or routine plays that keep the chains moving- those plays don’t show up on highlight reels, they aren’t remembered as key plays to victory...he seeks the low percentage/ high reward dramatic plays that will, in his mind, “save the day” if successful.  He is not a cerebral or calculating QB playing chess, but a reckless gambler who thinks he can out macho everyone on the field...

Now, who knows...maybe I’m wrong about all this.  But to me, in order for the Bills to be successful- in order for Josh Allen to become a true franchise QB he is going to have to suppress the reckless gambler in him and start to become more of a calculating, cerebral QB.

And he was, for most of the season after the Pats game. Even for most of the game yesterday. He's learned, but he will still have to bite it back. Don't shortchange Daboll though giving up on the run yesterday and forcing Josh to play hero.. Instead of facing 2nd and 5 in the 4th quarter and OT, Daboll put the game on his shoulders (and he nearly delivered). 

Edited by Sundancer
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

So It's ok to give Watson credit for rushing for a TD on a scramble where the play broke down but many hold Josh's rushing as a sign that he can't QB? I admire Watson but I'm frustrated by how he is given credit where Josh isn't allowed it by so many people. Josh made several plays to put the Bills in FG position where the end result was negated by a mixture of penalties and ineptitude which pushed him out of FG range after a long drive. Where I give him criticism is the two meltdown plays which gave the Texans a way back.

If you break down Watson's drives you can easily say he was clutch but he was constantly sacked for holding the ball too long and bailed himself out repeatedly with hero ball on plays like the 3rd and 18. This is the very thing which Josh gets huge criticism for. Let's not pretend Watson threw multiple pinpoint passes and TDs, or that many of the huge plays weren't due to YAC and missed tackles. Watson gets credit rightly for winning the game but neither he nor Hopkins had a world beating game.

He had less passing yards than Allen (a stat that so often riles people), both had a turnover. Bills had more total yards, more rushing yards, better third down conversion. But because Texans won all of this is forgotten. Watson is capable of great plays but he did NOT have a great game.

I get fed up with people talking down other QBs as a defence of Josh Allen. Josh had a decent game last night. Very good first half, so-so after that but was not the reason we lost. Why people want to defend him by having a go at Watson who had a poor first half and an outstanding second half I have no idea. And Watson didn't have a turnover actually. Hopkins had a turnover. 

The people trying to prop up Allen by talking down other QBs are doing themselves and the fan base a disservice. Let's talk about Allen on Allen's merits. The mitigations for Allen last night are about our team. They are not "oh well Deshaun Watson took some bad sacks first half too." 

It is the most irritating part of Bills fans. And it isn't just an Allen thing either. It happened when Tyrod was here too. The crazy talking down of other Quarterbacks. 

44 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

To be clear, I'm not HAPPY they lost yesterday. That sucked.

But I AM happy with the progress this team's made. This thread was a direct response to "heads should roll" posts from yesterday and earlier today. I can think of only one head that I'd remotely like to see roll: Daboll.

It's been a successful season but it's a bit messy aswell - it's hard to see where the full blame lies and perhaps it doesn't fully lie with one person. That makes it more complex when decisions have to be made in the future. 

1. A head coach with a winning record and playoffs who is a great motivator, who is defensive and seems to be a bit fearful on game-day, at least cautious, and is content to hold a lead due to his defensive pedigree. A head coach who has done great with the defence but we let a lead slip that we had built and some 'taking the points' decisions can be looked at in retrospect. Fake a bloody FG! .

A coach who looks overwhelmed at times on game-day.

2.A QB who I wouldnt swap for anyone right now in terms of entertainment but looks like mahomes one minute and mark sanchez the next. And looks overwhelmed at times. It certainly is a bit harsh piling on him but something is wrong at times and no way it's always Dabolls fault. 

3. An OC who does not seem to integrate what works early on back into the gameplan. Trickery early and then no trickery later. Later, a successful screen pass and then they don't go back to it. He goes away from the run. Tends to not call the game in a way the game is flowing and. Ultimately, we need more TDs of course and this falls on all 3 of them and the personell. An OC who looks overwhelmed at times. 

End of the half and McDermott and Allen did not seem on the same page with spiking the ball, letting time run off the clock. There's a lack of something at times, composure, fearlessness, execution..  There is what teams do and there is how teams look doing it. The team looks coached and solid one minute, then underprepared and shaky the next. This basic incompetence is what bothers me about the 'growing pains' arguement. 

Let's say Daboll's in trouble.. adding to this is how many more OC's mcdermott can hire and fire before he's on the block. Unless the pegulas have ultimate faith in him. 

Maybe the answer is what we are seeing now, adding new players and continuing development. In the future, maybe the answer is mcdermott with a different QB. Maybe the answer is Allen with an offensive minded head coach, or another OC. 

Edited by london_bills

16 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I think you and I are on the same page on this one.

I was gonna text you yesterday, but I was already fired up.  Didn't want to fire you up, too, LOL.

37 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Good assessment. But I need to be convinced that Josh will eventually eliminate these "dumb" decisions. I need to be convinced with time that Sean will fix his coaching flaws. Time management errors and "conservative strategies" will never launch this team beyond the WC round.  I guess my biggest FEAR is are we becoming the early Andy Dalton Bengals?

Deep Breath my Brother..... Deep Breath

This is just the beginning!

We were not going to the Superbowl this year. Offense isn't good enough yet.

We need a bruiser type RB to go with Singletary. We need a top tier WR. We need another TE to go with Knox. Maybe even a WR3/4 option to mix in.

We could also really use a dangerous pass rusher.

I'm confident that the team will address these needs.

46 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly what crossed my mind yesterday. The bengals, Lewis and Dalton 

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

i Agree w most of that. But very late the Bills got overly aggressive and Allen was doing stupid stuff. Slinging passes that were not catchable out of the back of the end zone? Running backwards 15 yards on critical 3rd and 4th downs. Just ridiculous. Singletary was put on the shelf. Just thought they didn’t play within their strengths. Having Josh stand back there Like Bledsoe and sling it unfortunately is not a strength yet.

guess what NONE of that happens if McD and Daboll keep their foot on the gas. Happens every game. 

get in scoring zone get conservative we have the three. Leave half with a 2 score lead shorten the game and rely on defense. 

the reality is the Coaching staff needs to improve just like Allen and players. So can they? 

6 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

This is just the beginning!

We were not going to the Superbowl this year. Offense isn't good enough yet.

We need a bruiser type RB to go with Singletary. We need a top tier WR. We need another TE to go with Knox. Maybe even a WR3/4 option to mix in.

We could also really use a dangerous pass rusher.

I'm confident that the team will address these needs.

And none of that matters if we trot out there and coach scared 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

i Agree w most of that. But very late the Bills got overly aggressive and Allen was doing stupid stuff. Slinging passes that were not catchable out of the back of the end zone? Running backwards 15 yards on critical 3rd and 4th downs. Just ridiculous. Singletary was put on the shelf. Just thought they didn’t play within their strengths. Having Josh stand back there Like Bledsoe and sling it unfortunately is not a strength yet.

Was it not the case of allen mostly being aggressive later and constantly looking for the big play. Did this play into his reads 

Just now, london_bills said:

Exactly what crossed my mind yesterday. The bengals, Lewis and Dalton 

Once we get to the playoffs 3-4 years in a row and don't win then I'll see this comparison.

Don't forget that Dalton was having an MVP season and broke his thumb making a tackle on an INT in week 13 or 14. He missed the playoff game, which they lost.

Also there was another game where the Bengals had it won until Burfict knocked Antonio Brown into insanity and then went berserk to make it 30 yards in penalties to set the Steelers right up to win.

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Once we get to the playoffs 3-4 years in a row and don't win then I'll see this comparison.

Don't forget that Dalton was having an MVP season and broke his thumb making a tackle on an INT in week 13 or 14. He missed the playoff game, which they lost.

Also there was another game where the Bengals had it won until Burfict knocked Antonio Brown into insanity and then went berserk to make it 30 yards in penalties to set the Steelers right up to win.

Of course 

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I was gonna text you yesterday, but I was already fired up.  Didn't want to fire you up, too, LOL.

Appreciate that :lol:

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

My succession plan?  

how about you as a coaching staff that is currently HIRED grow like you ask the players too

that's not exactly a succession plan.

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

You preach Growth Mindset Coach. Let’s see it in terms of yourself and staff we haven’t seen it yet

I think he has.

In my opinion, just like any new managers job.

First year, analyze, put your plan into action, understand what you have to work with, adjust where you can without creating turmoil.

Second year, Make adjustments based upon previous year (ie. Changed OC) clean up the junk (ie. contracts and people that don't buy into your plan) bring in a couple of guys to call your own (ie. Edmunds, Allen) and solidify the Defense (his strength).

Third year, culture is in place. Improve on weaknesses (ie. Offense) add some depth and versatility (OL) consistency on both Offense and Defense (ie. coaching and terminology)

2020 should be the year to really see if the Bills have it right and the correct people in place.

Just my thoughts though. 

6 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

The Patriots?

The Jets?

The Fish?

Ravens?

Bengals?

Browns?

Steelers?

Texans?

Titans?

Colts?

Jaguars?

Chargers?

Raiders?

Broncos?

Chiefs?

The unfortunate part is that we have a much harder schedule next season:

49ers, Seahawks, Chiefs, Titans, Cardinals, Raiders, Broncos, Chargers, Rams, Steelers.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-2020-opponents-feature-afc-west-nfc-west

ctaw7mhwr7x4iwqtsmt4.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Camisado said:

49ers, Seahawks, Chiefs, Titans, Cardinals, Raiders, Broncos, Chargers, Rams, Steelers.

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-2020-opponents-feature-afc-west-nfc-west

ctaw7mhwr7x4iwqtsmt4.jpg

And we know that all those teams will be exactly what they were this year, and that the Bills won't improve at all, right? The prediction game in January is a fruitless one.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, John in Jax said:

Great post, and I agree 100%. It seems pretty clear too. Sadly, too many people in here have on their red/blue blinders. LOL

Oh, please. Some of you are so condescendingly childish, it's borderline embarrassing.

Here's a little pathway to better understanding.

When it comes to being a Bills fan, ask yourself a few questions.

Question 1: Can you change the team? Hint; the answer is no. You, yourself, can literally do nothing to change this team. No matter how smart you think you are for not wearing blinders, you can't change the team. Even if you quit being a fan and cancel your tickets, it doesn't change the team. Nothing you, personally, can do can change the team.

Question 2: Since you can't change the team, can you live with it? It's a yes or no question. If the answer is no, then stop being a fan. If the answer is yes, then why in the holy hell would you care whether someone is wearing blinders? Because you think you're somehow smarter than the fans who choose to be homers?

Believe me, the absolute opposite is true. If you can't change it and you won't stop being a fan, try giving up on standing in judgement of people just because you incorrectly believe yourself to be the smarter fan.

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

And we know that all those teams will be exactly what they were this year, and that the Bills won't improve at all, right? The prediction game in January is a fruitless one.

I don't agree Joe. Normally you have a pretty good feel. There is always one or two teams who are better or worse (Steelers lose their QB for example) but generally when I have thought "tough slate" that is how it has worked out and vice versa 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I get fed up with people talking down other QBs as a defence of Josh Allen. Josh had a decent game last night. Very good first half, so-so after that but was not the reason we lost. Why people want to defend him by having a go at Watson who had a poor first half and an outstanding second half I have no idea. And Watson didn't have a turnover actually. Hopkins had a turnover. 

The people trying to prop up Allen by talking down other QBs are doing themselves and the fan base a disservice. Let's talk about Allen on Allen's merits. The mitigations for Allen last night are about our team. They are not "oh well Deshaun Watson took some bad sacks first half too." 

It is the most irritating part of Bills fans. And it isn't just an Allen thing either. It happened when Tyrod was here too. The crazy talking down of other Quarterbacks. 

So defensive. I'm a Watson fan. He's a great QB. I'm saying that he didn't have a great game by his standards. Even in the last quarter and OT he left plenty out on the field. He gave the Bills just as many extra chances to win as the Bills gave him. He extended plays brilliantly but he can play So much better. That's not to denigrate him, we both know that he's played better. 

I was responding to your assertion that the Texans were better and am not at all making excuses for Josh- so you're wrong about that 

I accept your correction on the turnover, but you berate me for making excuses for Allen and miss my point. Their numbers aren't disimilar for the game. You are giving credit to Watson for the same things you are criticising Allen. What did Allen do well you ask? Third and long completions- he had more than Watson. Running threat he was better -I'm not talking about scrambling here. Authoring long clock eating drives down the pitch. He led a 4th quarter comeback to tie the game. Texans get a few broken plays with dump off passes and YAC with multiple missed tackles and its-"wow Watson is so great". 

Just now, Seoulofstone said:

So defensive. I'm a Watson fan. He's a great QB. I'm saying that he didn't have a great game by his standards. Even in the last quarter and OT he left plenty out on the field. He gave the Bills just as many extra chances to win as the Bills gave him. He extended plays brilliantly but he can play So much better. That's not to denigrate him, we both know that he's played better. 

I was responding to your assertion that the Texans were better and am not at all making excuses for Josh- so you're wrong about that 

I accept your correction on the turnover, but you berate me for making excuses for Allen and miss my point. Their numbers aren't disimilar for the game. You are giving credit to Watson for the same things you are criticising Allen. What did Allen do well you ask? Third and long completions- he had more than Watson. Running threat he was better -I'm not talking about scrambling here. Authoring long clock eating drives down the pitch. He led a 4th quarter comeback to tie the game. Texans get a few broken plays with dump off passes and YAC with multiple missed tackles and its-"wow Watson is so great". 

I have not berated anyone for making excuses for Allen. There were plenty to make and I have made them myself elsewhere. But they are about the support he go from our team and coaches. What I have and will continue to call people out on is trying to deride other Quarterbacks to make some sort of "we don't have it too bad" argument. 

The main reason Houston won yesterday was the fantastic performance of Watson down the stretch. He was not good first half. But he made the plays to drag them back and to win them the game. He was the single biggest contributer.  And then you get Bills fans saying "yea well he didn't do much." It is a defense mechanism and a really poor one. 

53 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have not berated anyone for making excuses for Allen. 

I assumed that your comments were directed at me, since you quote me.

What I have and will continue to call people out on is trying to deride other Quarterbacks to make some sort of "we don't have it too bad" argument. 

That was not my intent here.

He was not good first half. But he made the plays to drag them back and to win them the game. He was the single biggest contributer.  And then you get Bills fans saying "yea well he didn't do much." It is a defense mechanism and a really poor one. 

Is this directed at me? Look all I can say is that I don't think Watson had his best game by a long stretch. Saying a QB was the biggest single contributor to a victory doesn't move the needle for me because when is that not true in playoff football?  Again if we're being completely fair many times on TBD have I seen credit taken away from Josh for wins and given to the team, but for opposition QBs it's always the other way round.

Watson made some great plays but for me this is a case of history remembers the winners. If you disagree with that opinion and think I use it as a way to defend Josh's inadequacies that's fine, but incorrect in this case.

Edited by Seoulofstone

3 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

I assumed that your comments were directed at me, since you quote me.

That was not my intent here.

Is this directed at me? Look all I can say is that I don't think Watson had his best game by a long stretch. Saying a QB was the biggest single contributor to a victory doesn't move the needle for me because when is that not true in playoff football?  Again if we're being completely fair many times on TBD have I seen credit taken away from Josh for wins and given to the team, but for opposition QBs it's always the other way round.

Watson made some great plays but for me this is a case of history remembers the winners. If you disagree with that opinion and think I use it as a way to defend Josh's inadequacies that's fine.

I do think it is a way of defending Josh - yes. But I haven't berated anyone for defending him. What I have called out is people attacking others as a mechanism for doing it. 

46 minutes ago, Camisado said:

ctaw7mhwr7x4iwqtsmt4.jpg

Our schedule will be the same as every AFCE team except for 2 games. It will be tougher but no tougher than our other division opponents. 

We are better setup for the next 3 years than any AFCE team. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I think he has.

In my opinion, just like any new managers job.

First year, analyze, put your plan into action, understand what you have to work with, adjust where you can without creating turmoil.

Second year, Make adjustments based upon previous year (ie. Changed OC) clean up the junk (ie. contracts and people that don't buy into your plan) bring in a couple of guys to call your own (ie. Edmunds, Allen) and solidify the Defense (his strength).

Third year, culture is in place. Improve on weaknesses (ie. Offense) add some depth and versatility (OL) consistency on both Offense and Defense (ie. coaching and terminology)

2020 should be the year to really see if the Bills have it right and the correct people in place.

Just my thoughts though. 

Three years later and he is the same conservative sit on a lead and play defense coach he has been. So tell me when is he going to have growth mindset?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Three years later and he is the same conservative sit on a lead and play defense coach he has been. So tell me when is he going to have growth mindset?

Without looking it up, I think we go for it on 4th more than we used to, but that is all I got. I do understand that he wants to rely on the strength of the team and limit mistakes on the weaker area of the team, but even when the offense is moving the ball - he slows it down kills to offensive rhythm and we are unable to get going again when we need to - the offense is not allowed (or simply can't) put teams away.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Without looking it up, I think we go for it on 4th more than we used to, but that is all I got. I do understand that he wants to rely on the strength of the team and limit mistakes on the weaker area of the team, but even when the offense is moving the ball - he slows it down kills to offensive rhythm and we are unable to get going again when we need to - the offense is not allowed (or simply can't) put teams away.

Second most of any team in the NFL, actually...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree Joe. Normally you have a pretty good feel. There is always one or two teams who are better or worse (Steelers lose their QB for example) but generally when I have thought "tough slate" that is how it has worked out and vice versa 

How many teams lose their franchise QB or another key player? How many teams this past year had moments where they were hot and moments when they were abysmal? How can we not know that Bills will raise their game when they have the opportunity with a tougher schedule?

Few people predicted a Buff win in Pitt this time last year. The point is circumstances change as will a great many variables before the Bills next play. 

The funny thing is that a statement of a tough schedule is a no lose assessment. If the Bills are terrible you are correct. If the Bills are good, you can still say you were correct, but that the Bills rose to the occasion. Unless you can predict the future you don't know and the only purpose it serves is to act as a justification for whatever off season agenda you prescribe.

Edited by Seoulofstone