Trent Murphy bonus

Chicharito

55 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

We got 11.5 sacks between him and Lawson at that DE position on the year. That's actually pretty damn good.

Yea but it's not like they rotated between the same spot.  They were both on the field quite often.  Those two and Hughes were the only DEs we really used.  Then Lorax came in at times but not really at DE. 

1 hour ago, Chicharito said:

My Father in law works for the bills and just told me that when Trent got his 2nd sack today he earned a 1 million dollar bonus. I can’t believe he made a bonus at 5 sacks in a season. This guy really got the bills for a crap ton of money .

From what I see from the organization. Your FIL is not going to be around very long if he keeps telling you stuff

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Indeed.

I really think that there's potential to get some big-name EDGE guys in trades this offseason.

I wouldn't be surprised if any of Calais Campbell, Von Miller, or Chandler Jones got moved.

Chandler Jones is in running for DPOY. Really think he'll get moved?

50 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

No, he continually got beat in run plays and was unable to hold the edge . The sacks he got were coverage sacks. Sorry, I’m not a pitch fork fan. I watch games and analyze what I see. Murphy has no jump off the ball and he can’t control the point of attach on run plays. He isn’t worth $7mil and no Hughes isn’t worth $11.5 mil probably. But with the cap amounts constantly creeping up, salaries will too. Personally I’d love to see the Bills address DE in the draft very early as well as FA. I trust Beane to do the right thing.

Did you watch today’s game?  On his second sack, he tossed the tight end aside and blind-sided Darnold.

3 minutes ago, ColeB said:

Did you watch today’s game?  On his second sack, he tossed the tight end aside and blind-sided Darnold.

Key words:  Tight End.   Then he did the “raining money” thing.  Kind of lame in my opinion if he did that because of the bonus. 

13 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Yea but it's not like they rotated between the same spot.  They were both on the field quite often.  Those two and Hughes were the only DEs we really used.  Then Lorax came in at times but not really at DE. 

Not typical at all though. 

Johnson/Lorax normally spell Hughes and Lawson for Murphy.

3 minutes ago, ColeB said:

He flew in there pretty quick to me.  My point is it wasn’t a coverage sack as you stated.

Ok. He had a good sack. How many others has he had that way? How many tackles has he beaten? 
Murphy is an ok player. I’d rather see the money applied towards Lawson and then a draft pick. Maybe another FA depending on how other things shake out.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, MJS said:

Murphy doesn't get paid that much...

I bet the Bills move on,  they need better sack production and he is terrible against the run.  Bills will save 7.2 million by cutting him with only 1.7 dead money,

Why pay 9 mill for medicore production ,  i mean he got a total of 3 sacks in games that meant something.  Today's sacks were garbage time sacks in game that meant nothing.

$8,950,000  
$1,750,000
$7,200,000
Edited by Niagara Dude

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

A crap ton of money?

Trent Murphy makes $7M AAV and had 5 sacks in a rotational role for Buffalo.

By contrast, Trey Flowers makes $18M AAV and had 7 sacks for Detroit in a full-time role.

Trent is generally paid on par with his production--he doesn't make a crap ton relative to his position.

Thank you for explaining to out....as I was always under the impression that he made a lot of money for his production.

I guess my question is......does he give us anything that DE 7th round pick Johnson does not?   I want very badly up upgrade this pass rush from our DE's

19 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

Chandler Jones is in running for DPOY. Really think he'll get moved?

I think it's possible for sure.

He's going to be 30 next season, he has a $21.3M cap hit, and they're a team that hasn't historically valued their defensive linemen.

12 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I bet the Bills move on,  they need better sack production and he is terrible against the run.  Bills will save 7.2 million by cutting him with only 1.7 dead money,

Why pay 9 mill for medicore production ,  i mean he got a total of 3 sacks in games that meant something.  Today's sacks were garbage time sacks in game that meant nothing.

$8,950,000  
$1,750,000
$7,200,000

These days that's cheap starter money unless you are on a rookie deal.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I've said this a bunch of times but I havent been a fan of the Murphy signing since day one & im sure Beane will look to improve DE during the offseason. If he can find an upgrade he'll move on from Trent for sure. Me personally i hope he does. He's only had 1 good year in his career back in 2016, other than that he's done what he's done here with us. We're paying $7 mil now $9mil for a guy who before today had 33 tackles & 3 sacks. Perhaps you think thats money well spent, but i'm pretty sure we can do better.

As others have stated, he's not that great in stopping the run. He doesnt set the edge well & gets pushed back often & is pretty slow for a DE. While rushing the passer he doesnt seem to get his hands up enough to deflect passes either. Not to mention that he's often hurt & not even on the field a quarter of the time. He may have gotten sacks today, but it was a meaningless game. If you're paying someone that kinda money, you'd like them to have an impact when games matter. Not just when getting a couple sacks vs the Jets will get you a nice bonus check.

As always I hope he tears it up for us because we need him to. But if we have a chance to move on from him i hope we jump at it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

He made 7mill this year and out produced Hughes who made 11.5mill.

Bills fans love to pitch fork one or 2 players with zero context.

Out producing Jerry on paper maybe. Not on film.

Murphy doesn't have the explosion he had before the ACL. It's obvious from watching some Redskins tape. He's a decent edge rusher for sure. IDK about 9 million going into his age 30 season though. I doubt he'll be back at that number.

5 hours ago, NoSaint said:

we have a TON to spend. If drafting Both WR and DE, where are you spending?

Not that many good options out there in FA.  Maybe use that money to extend White, Poyer, Milano, and Dawkins.  Resign Lawson, Phillips, and Spain (preference is in that order) if you can make it work contract wise.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Not that many good options out there in FA.  Maybe use that money to extend White, Poyer, Milano, and Dawkins.  Resign Lawson, Phillips, and Spain (preference is in that order) if you can make it work contract wise.

For me, this is the great debate. I’m thrilled with this season, but by late preseason I believed we could be a 10-12 win team. While we achieved this, the manner in which we did concerns me. We played poorly enough to lose to @NYJ/NYG & Tenn, Mia & Cinci, barely winning those games and squeaking by @Pittsburgh & Miami at home. A star-kissed season if ever there were one for the Bills. Point being that very few players should consider themselves a lock going forward. At this time, we think they’re good, but only because we won many close games. Minus Tre’, I hope all extension contracts center around production with fat bonus and a back door out. 

We’re average with upside. We still need improved talent.

• Like (+1) 1