Trent Murphy bonus

Chicharito

7 hours ago, Chicharito said:

My Father in law works for the bills and just told me that when Trent got his 2nd sack today he earned a 1 million dollar bonus. I can’t believe he made a bonus at 5 sacks in a season. This guy really got the bills for a crap ton of money .

and he will still be here next year, take that haters.

7 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Say what you want Trent had a good season.   He will be back next year. 

Thank you. The hate for him is ridiculous he was never expected to be a superstar and isnt paid like one either. He's a solid player who does his job and contributes to this team unlike some other players.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Thank you. The hate for him is ridiculous he was never expected to be a superstar and isnt paid like one either. He's a solid player who does his job and contributes to this team unlike some other players.

While a risk at the time -due to major injury recovery and a PED bust, he Was an expected superstar. He was great @ Washington before the injury and suspension. Those are the reasons they opted not to extend him. He was a high risk/high reward. 

Now fully healthy and evidently clean, he’s merely run of the mill average. It can now be assumed that him being high on performance enhancers was the reason for his 10 sack season. 

This alone is reason for dislike, if not hate.

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

While a risk at the time -due to major injury recovery and a PED bust, he Was an expected superstar. He was great @ Washington before the injury and suspension. Those are the reasons they opted not to extend him. He was a high risk/high reward. 

Now fully healthy and evidently clean, he’s merely run of the mill average. It can now be assumed that him being high on performance enhancers was the reason for his 10 sack season. 

This alone is reason for dislike, if not hate.

Nope take all the PEDS you can , laws against such are made by stupid politicians who brainwash people into thinking they are bad.

7 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

You can't be elite at every position. He's as good or slightly better than replacement IMO. How much he gets paid doesn't matter unless it handicaps the team's salary cap. If it doesn't, then it's a personal issue between the fan and how much money another person makes. 

It is about efficient use of resources. If Murphy is on the Bills next year he is a $9m cap hit. If he isn't he is a $1.75m cap hit. So the question is can you generate more production spending that $7.25m elsewhere. My answer is a resounding yes. 

33 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

For me, this is the great debate. I’m thrilled with this season, but by late preseason I believed we could be a 10-12 win team. While we achieved this, the manner in which we did concerns me. We played poorly enough to lose to @NYJ/NYG & Tenn, Mia & Cinci, barely winning those games and squeaking by @Pittsburgh & Miami at home. A star-kissed season if ever there were one for the Bills. Point being that very few players should consider themselves a lock going forward. At this time, we think they’re good, but only because we won many close games. Minus Tre’, I hope all extension contracts center around production with fat bonus and a back door out. 

We’re average with upside. We still need improved talent.

It's a good question although this defense has performed well against few high scoring offenses we've played (Ravens, Cowboys).  Does the elevated play of Lawson and Phillips (who both are well aware they're on prove it years contract wise) makes you hesitate given their subpar performance before this season.  Is that because of a soft schedule and extra motivation from a contract year?  I look at players like Tre, Poyer, Dawkins, and Milano who've performed consistently well for the most part since they've got here as more safe to extend.  You make them your priority as you want to keep as many core young players to this team as possible.  Lawson impressed me against the Ravens and I'd prioritize over Phillips given our depth at DT.  If we choose to pay big money for a DE pass rusher then both pry won't get resigned.

At the same time you want to improve your offense and getting big name free agents here have been difficult over the years.  You're pry going to have to find a WR in the draft.  There's upgrades at OT/Guard available  but you're going to have to pay a pretty penny to get one of them.  I can also see this regime paying modest money for a veteran in between the tackles RB to replace Gore.

It will be an interesting offseason but I think you'll see a lot more extensions from Beane than new FA signings.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is about efficient use of resources. If Murphy is on the Bills next year he is a $9m cap hit. If he isn't he is a $1.75m cap hit. So the question is can you generate more production spending that $7.25m elsewhere. My answer is a resounding yes. 

This is an excellent point.  I guess my question is at what point do you know that and how is it determined.  My guess is that the Bills will not cut him during the off-season unless they are sure they have upgraded (see Clowney, etc.) and they need the money.  I believe he goes into training camp as part of a rotation with Hughes, Johnson, a new draft pick, and maybe whatever DE they sign or re-sign (ex Lawson).  

I expect that one of the higher priced veterans (Murphy or Hughes) will be released at cut down depending on the talent and play, but I suspect they will let them battle it out in preseason- in case of injury.  I do not think they want to create a hole until they are sure it is filled.  The other thought is if they feel Eddie got better on the PS - and think he is capable of filling Lawson’s rotation - then maybe you cut Murphy and shoot for a top end FA, but I feel they would rather play it safe with the known than risk getting someone top end that doesn’t fit the 1 of 11 and creates attitude.  I think they would prefer to find that high end - elite talent in the draft and mold him into their system.

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

This is an excellent point.  I guess my question is at what point do you know that and how is it determined.  My guess is that the Bills will not cut him during the off-season unless they are sure they have upgraded (see Clowney, etc.) and they need the money.  I believe he goes into training camp as part of a rotation with Hughes, Johnson, a new draft pick, and maybe whatever DE they sign or re-sign (ex Lawson).  

I expect that one of the higher priced veterans (Murphy or Hughes) will be released at cut down depending on the talent and play, but I suspect they will let them battle it out in preseason- in case of injury.  I do not think they want to create a hole until they are sure it is filled.  The other thought is if they feel Eddie got better on the PS - and think he is capable of filling Lawson’s rotation - then maybe you cut Murphy and shoot for a top end FA, but I feel they would rather play it safe with the known than risk getting someone top end that doesn’t fit the 1 of 11 and creates attitude.  I think they would prefer to find that high end - elite talent in the draft and mold him into their system.

It is a fair point on Hughes. I didn't like the contract we gave him in the offseason as much as most (despite how good he was in 2018) because pass rushers at his age decline and some hit the wall quickly. Hughes has not hit the wall this year. That is the good news. But there has been an obvious drop off in his play from 2018. His numbers were down across the board - sacks, pressures, QB hits, and tackles for loss. He was outperformed by Shaq Lawson in every one of those categories despite playing about 180 extra snaps. The problem with cutting Hughes is that because of that extension he costs the Bills more if he is not on the team in 2020 than he does if he is on the team ($10.85m as opposed to $9.5m). So Hughes is basically on the team next year (though surely not as an every down player).

13 hours ago, CommonCents said:

What’s the definition of a perfect rotation guy? A guy you wouldn’t pay starters money too? 

As I have said elsewhere, why do any Bills fans care if the player makes money given that they are $90+ million under the cap. 

Murphy is a good player who had a solid season. He’s not elite, but he’s not being paid elite money. He’s being paid solid-veteran money.

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Not that many good options out there in FA.  Maybe use that money to extend White, Poyer, Milano, and Dawkins.  Resign Lawson, Phillips, and Spain (preference is in that order) if you can make it work contract wise.

you could do the heavy lifting and still have leftover if you want

I agree that Trent Murphy is overpaid, by a large margin, and that he gets beat on coverage, edge, and misdirection plays. We need younger and more elite def ends. Keep Shaq, love, Johnson, and let's go get us a free agent that can ball.....Jerry, Trent, star, ....gotta go

trent and shak are fine.  shak is worth more, and i hope we keep him, but trent isn't that bad at all.  our D scheme has waves of DL coming at the O and keeps linebackers in there (with interchangable positions for two of them) all day.  if milano and edwards can cut out the mistakes their elite skills could put them over and our front 7 ends up being pretty monster.

as far as shak and more topically trent go, i'd be good with keeping both, neither, or something inbetween.  im confident our FO can find DL talent.  the only thing that would really super charge our D is a high level CB2 (not so much of a need, but look what it's doing in baltimore) or most importantly a game changing disruptive pass rushing DE.  if clowney is there i say we grab him and just blow up pass plays while rushing four.

if you recall, in carolina McD had those two LBs who were money, that one CB who left for washington and fell off, but they were at their most disgusting when they had short at DT (for us that's ed oliver) and the KRAKEN hardy at DE.  to me clowney could be that guy and would be a sick monster in our rotation.

For me it is like this:

I want the Bills to re-sign Shaq, and if keeping Murphy means we can´t beacuse we have too much money at DE, then cut Murphy or ask him to re do his deal to have more money available por Shaq. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloSol said:

Yes you can't have the best player in the league at every position this isn't Madden.

This is so weak, is it an attempt at humor? It goes well with the guy under yours “why do fans care about the money the Bills have 90 million” 

The Bills have money freed up now so they should spend it on average or replaceable players and not worry about it? Come on.

Murphy is robotic, slow, and has the worst play recognition of any DE I have watched this season. That’s very little value.

Peoole are now excited because he bumped his sack total with a few meaningless ones in week 17? How quickly we forget week 16 when he was running past screens and counters like he was wearing a blindfold.

Maybe some people like Trent, maybe he is a great guy, I just don’t see him adding value to a team that’s making a run. 

• Like (+1) 2