Ever read this board and think how the heck is this team 10-5?

12 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Well that’s simply not true, and you could easily look back at season prediction threads to see for yourself how wrong you are. Many, many posters (and fans in general) genuinely saw a possible 9, 10, or 11 win team back in August.

Vegas had the Bills winning 6 games going into the season.

So there is that.

Edited by Magox

12 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

During this season I've tracked Buffalo's strength of schedule (SoS) and strength of victories (SoV). Their SoS was the lowest in the NFL (.453) and SoV was ranked 27th in the NFL (.340).  The teams with a worse SoV were Tennessee, Oakland, Dallas, NY Giants, and Washington.  Contributing to these schedule ranks was Buffalo played 5 games against 4 of the worst 5 teams in the NFL.    

https://www.espn.com/nfl/standings/_/view/playoff

Sure, the schedule is out of their control, but the overall board sentiment I'm seeing is fans are happy Buffalo made the playoffs.  At the same time, it's recognized this team has a lot of deficiencies which tend to show up against the better opponents.  The 10-5 record in year 3 of their rebuild should also be compared to the other teams since 2017.   

For example, Baltimore was 9-7 in 2017, 10-6 in 2018, changed QBs and is 12-3 now.  San Francisco was 6-10 in 2017, 4-12 in 2018 changed (or had an injury to their) QB, and is also 12-3 this season.  Green Bay was 7-9 in 2017, 6-9-1 in 2018, changed HC's after last year and is now 12-3.  

The playoffs will again provide Buffalo an opportunity to show where they are.  A win in the post-season demonstrates they're improving in year 3 of McBeane.  Not winning a playoff game after 3 seasons is underwhelming compared to other teams that have rebuilt.  

Thank you for proving my point 

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

People don’t say the Bills suck? Seriously? Read the game threads. Read the post loss threads. It’s overreaction upon overreaction. They explicitly say McD should be fired, Allen sucks, Beane hasn’t put together a decent team, O line sucks, Daboll should be fired, blah, blah, blah. 

Here’s reality: this is a team in the MIDDLE of a rebuild by competent people. An up and coming coach, an extremely solid FO and a very good core of young players. On top of that, the cap has been handled properly and that, amongst the other things, boded well for the future. 

The future is bright. Accept it! ? 

I am with you on the immediate post-loss threads, they tend to be the most hyperbolic and least thoughtful threads. 

But you realize what the game day threads are - they are for real time commentary. So there are going to be multiple negative comments after every negative play (and positive comments after positive plays.) It’s not overreaction, it’s just the nature of those threads and what they are there for.

7 minutes ago, Magox said:

Vegas had the Bills winning 6 games going into the season.

So there is that.

yes I am aware I have the over when it was 6.5. The poster I replied to said “no one here thought...”

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

No pash rush...get run all over...oline can’t block to save their lives...Cody Ford should be selling insurance...Edwards sucks...Milano sucks...Oliver is a bust...always getting out coached...and Josh Allen sucks so bad Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell feel sorry for you level suck...I could imagine what people would be like if we where 5-10 

I don't even know who Edwards is, let alone if he sucks or not.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

What point is that? 

Some people find a way to add a negative twist, with or without intent or the internet. 

He graciously calls it the middle of a rebuild, and you jump on the three years. Is that the middle??? As in why so long?

Are we improving? Yes. Might it take more than 3 years to get to a Super Bowl? Yes. You then go to McD and Daboll “not getting in the way”. That’s not how I’d describe it. I hope they, like the team, continue to make progress. Not in an accusatory way, but in a hopeful way. 

You had positive comments, which goes to balance, and I feel balance is important. 

Just different approaches, which is fine. The bottom line is, as you say, the future does look bright. But then you have to immediately point out that a lot can turn in one year. Of course it can, but I won’t always look for the dark side. I like where we are apparently headed. I don’t have to look for the worst case scenario. I’m not planning my retirement, I’m watching football and trying to enjoy the current situation, which looks good. If it turns, I’ll deal with that then. 

I went for a beautiful autumn ride along the Blue Ridge Parkway in a nice convertible with the wife a couple years ago. The leaves were changing, maybe the peak weak for foliage. If she had kept saying “be careful! There may be a landslide around the next bend!”, it would have been FAR less enjoyable. 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Actually I see a board that's more delusional/in denial about the rest of the league than they are about the Bills.

The Bills are excused from having to defeat whatever teams are very good that year("how can they be expected to beat THE RAAAAAVENS") and any team that doesn't make the playoffs is "SOOOOO worse-off than the Bills".

It's like clockwork every year.

Yesterday there was this schadenfreude discussion in the Aaron Donald thread about how the Rams were now circling the drain because they "went for a quick SB". :lol:

That really dumb team 11 points away from a SB. Would hate to be in that situation 

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

what is your point, exactly? That critics should shut up and enjoy the ride? Contribute to the echo chamber or don’t contribute at all? Maybe I missed some nuance in your OP.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

No pash rush...get run all over...oline can’t block to save their lives...Cody Ford should be selling insurance...Edwards sucks...Milano sucks...Oliver is a bust...always getting out coached...and Josh Allen sucks so bad Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell feel sorry for you level suck...I could imagine what people would be like if we where 5-10 

No, don't think that... great teams get better by improving their weaknesses, not raucously cheering them and a hearty "you guys are the best!". If you think that the Bills management and players are happy just to be 10-5, you're delusional. They want to be the best and they do it the right way. All this post is trying to do is divide us yet again. You can keep your worm... I'm not biting on this crapola.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Then I’m not sure I understand what your point is?  

I thought your point was that there’s a disconnect between the critique of the team on the board, and the W-L record

The guy you’re responding to here, BillsVet (if I understand him correctly) is saying there is not a disconnect because our SoS and SoV are alike low, meaning the team as currently constituted could have a much worse W-L record.  

He seems to be arguing against your point, and saying the critique and the record are aligned, given the SoS/SoV

I don’t particularly buy it myself - I mean, one could also argue that but for a couple unlucky breaks (missed penalty calls, missed field goals, a missed tackle or two) we could be 12-3, in which case maybe a stronger schedule puts us back to 10-5.....I think that’s all the “land of might have been”.  I go with “you are what your record says you are”, good and bad.  Good teams do lose to worse teams, Any Given Sunday

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

They should be sent to the re-educations camps.

Criticism is allowed

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

#hottakes   #emomomotional #dramaforyourmama 

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I don't really know how many people actually thought the Bills were a playoff team on here.

I really didn't have a prediction for the season myself, because I am always wrong. ?

I had us down at 11-5 when the schedule first came out back in April or whenever it was.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

what is your point, exactly? That critics should shut up and enjoy the ride? Contribute to the echo chamber or don’t contribute at all? Maybe I missed some nuance in your OP.

Once again you also proved my point some people are perpetually never happy 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Then I’m not sure I understand what your point is?  

I thought your point was that there’s a disconnect between the critique of the team on the board, and the W-L record

The guy you’re responding to here, BillsVet (if I understand him correctly) is saying there is not a disconnect because our SoS and SoV are alike low, meaning the team as currently constituted could have a much worse W-L record.  

He seems to be arguing against your point, and saying the critique and the record are aligned, given the SoS/SoV

I don’t particularly buy it myself - I mean, one could also argue that but for a couple unlucky breaks (missed penalty calls, missed field goals, a missed tackle or two) we could be 12-3, in which case maybe a stronger schedule puts us back to 10-5.....I think that’s all the “land of might have been”.  I go with “you are what your record says you are”, good and bad.  Good teams do lose to worse teams, Any Given Sunday

Criticism is allowed

Yes it is and I like how badly you feel this franchise is doing 

5 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Umm pretty much the same you must not have been around for the last 20 years

We have had our moments of  "turning the corner" only to be fooled by it !!!

Drew Bledsoe tricked us with a 6-2 start before fading away...

J.P Losman's heroics against San Diego had us believing in him and for a playoff push....only to falter

Trent Edwards had us 5-1 and ready to roll when hit by a concussion...and that was the end of it 

Ryan Fitzpatrick started 5-1 only to fade to a  1-9 finish !!!!

Kyle Orton took us tantalizingly close to the playoffs before self destructing 

We perennial fans have been through this crap and hope against hope that Josh Allen is our guy.   

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

I had us down at 11-5 when the schedule first came out back in April or whenever it was.

close...hope we get there on Sunday at 4 PM !!! that would be sweet

3 hours ago, TroutDog said:

People don’t say the Bills suck? Seriously? Read the game threads. Read the post loss threads. It’s overreaction upon overreaction. They explicitly say McD should be fired, Allen sucks, Beane hasn’t put together a decent team, O line sucks, Daboll should be fired, blah, blah, blah. 

Here’s reality: this is a team in the MIDDLE of a rebuild by competent people. An up and coming coach, an extremely solid FO and a very good core of young players. On top of that, the cap has been handled properly and that, amongst the other things, boded well for the future. 

The future is bright. Accept it! ? 

The problem is that QB's like Mahomes,  Watson have become very good in 2 years...Even the guy in the same class, Lamar Jackson, has become a star.  The expectations and the bar is being set for young rookie signal callers to make that giant leap in year 2...It doesn't always happen...and NFL fans don't have the patience.  This is the struggle for Mayfield, Allen and Darnold.

2 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

that’s cool, but they are out there. Some of them were probably just being optimistic, but others looked at the schedule closely and saw 10-11 wins. 

Of course! It’s what I did & everyone should pre Season. I saw stiffs... a lot of them and figured 10-6 would be about right. That doesn’t guarantee a Playoff bid, but likely.

Next year? Much more difficult- getting the AFC & NFC-W + AFC-S top 2. So, if the Bills are gonna make the Playoffs again, they need to be better- again!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Edwards is the worst! I don’t even know why he is on this team!

7 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

Of course! It’s what I did & everyone should pre Season. I saw stiffs... a lot of them and figured 10-6 would be about right. That doesn’t guarantee a Playoff bid, but likely.

Next year? Much more difficult- getting the AFC & NFC-W + AFC-S top 2. So, if the Bills are gonna make the Playoffs again, they need to be better- again!

If you want to be the best, you have to start beating the best !!!  Bring it On,