Allen slammed on ESPN

Just now, kbarrettb said:

Wonder why they didn’t pass. 

Right, I'm sure it was because Allen is so awful that they didn't trust him - even though the team has scored only 4 redzone touchdowns all year that were not because of Allen's arm or legs. 

You are simply trolling now.

And not even doing a very good job of it....

• Like (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, kbarrettb said:

He’s had Gronk and what really good receivers? One time he had randy moss. He throws to Edelman and Wes welker amendola. These aren’t number 1 guys. They’re number 3 slot guys. 

Andre Reed lined up in the slot. Was he also a #3 WR?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Right, I'm sure it was because Allen is so awful that they didn't trust him - even though the team has scored only 4 redzone touchdowns all year that were not because of Allen's arm or legs. 

You are simply trolling now.

And not even doing a very good job of it....

You’re a fanatic and are blinded because we are winning. Watch the game and watch Allen. He isn’t playing good right now. He’s playing barely passable. 

I’m not lying when I say that I may never have agreed with Bomani Jones on anything.  

I actually like LeBetard, but Bomani Jones is probably one of the worst personalities on ESPN.  He’s agenda-driven and hateful, combined with a monotone, dull delivery.  

Just now, kbarrettb said:

You’re a fanatic and are blinded because we are winning. Watch the game and watch Allen. He isn’t playing good right now. He’s playing barely passable. 

Thank God he is much better at QB than you are at analyzing football....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I’m not lying when I say that I may never have agreed with Bomani Jones on anything.  

I actually like LeBetard, but Bomani Jones is probably one of the worst personalities on ESPN.  He’s agenda-driven and hateful, combined with a monotone, dull delivery.  

He’s also thin skinned and thinks he’s better than everyone.    

3 minutes ago, kbarrettb said:

You sound like you just read a stat line.  He had 4 dropped passes against the Steelers and several against the Ravens. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

Not really.  How many balls has Josh thrown away to avoid a sack?  How many thrown away because the chance of INT too high?  These are decisions he should be praised for, because last year he played "hero ball" and got blasted.  Not to mention the high number of catchable drops by our undersized WRs.  

No, the metric that matters -  besides win-loss - is total TD v. INT.  Scoring well in that metric wins games, and championships.  Josh is rocking it right now.

I think all of us stats geeks have our own favorite parameters.  Mine that I evolved before the 2018 draft was a "meh" threshold on 4 parameters, but the guy has to hit all 4:

1. completion percentage of at least 59%

2. YPA >= 6.5

3. TD/INT >=1.5

4. floor of 210-220 ypg

It also needs at least 2 full seasons of data to be meaningful, because a lot of QB aren't putting up great stats their first season or so.  (Allen is close this season, BTW)

And it's failing a bit as a predictive model right now. 

For example, Lamar Jackson is only putting up 206 ypg passing (1 more ypg than Allen), yet QB'ing the league's best offense.

I think with a dual threat QB, the rush yards and rush TD must be considered as well as total TO (int + fumbles lost) - that what matters for a QB to help his team get wins is that he needs to contribute a certain threshold of offense, but how he contributes doesn't matter.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Certainly Josh Allen needs to be better.  He knows it.

I'm curious about one point, and not strictly addressed at you - there are several who express a similar POV.

The Bills currently lead the league in dropped passes, and those are a conservative metric - passes which could be completed with "reasonable effort".  We have small WR who are unable to haul in the "jump balls" or even the slight overthrow catches that other WR make routinely.  We have a starting TE who drops one out of five targets - 20%.  We have a much improved OL, but they either need a piece or they need to gel - our best blocking TE has a large number of false start penalties, and we're 22 in the league in sack % DESPITE a QB with good mobility and escapability.

But the focus is all on the QB - he needs to be better.

Why is that?

Daboll and McDermott both routinely say it takes 11 guys to make an offensive play.  They're not wrong.

Many of these same posters also ignore the fact that Allen doesn't have a big, sure-handed WR and a dependable pass catching TE.  Lots of times in the passing game, success comes from mismatches, especially big, tall, sure-handed receivers against smaller DBs.  Think Nuke or Gronk or AJ.   They've got a speedster in Brown but they need a couple of big targets, especially in the red zone.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, kbarrettb said:

Arrogant and dim is not a good look for you . . . unless you're a garden variety troll, in which case you are a good exemplar of the species.

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

And the Dallas Cowboys are the top offense in football and are currently 7-7 and didn’t we kinda kick their ass in their own stadium on Thanksgiving ?‍♂️

We did Allen was good that game. He had a high completion percentage and higher than normal yards throwing. Right now he’s had two weeks of crap completion percentage and under 150 yards throwing. That’s not good enough I don’t know where anyone who’s not a bills fan would say that’s good enough. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Arrogant and dim is not a good look for you . . . unless you're a garden variety troll, in which case you are a good exemplar of the species.

So you consider barely 50% completion percentage and under 159 yards passing great? And a recipe for a super bowl? I don’t. Glad you do though. Keep it up. You’re clever. 

15 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Many of these same posters also ignore the fact that Allen doesn't have a big, sure-handed WR and a dependable pass catching TE.  Lots of times in the passing game, success comes from mismatches, especially big, tall, sure-handed receivers against smaller DBs.  Think Nuke or Gronk or AJ.   They've got a speedster in Brown but they need a couple of big targets, especially in the red zone.

Did anyone else catch that interview with our offensive line coach, Bobby Johnson after the Ravens game?  I thought he was a little fired up.  He laid it out there:

“Any team that has really good edge rushers will force one on ones,” Johnson said. “Even a team that has one good edge rusher will try to get that particular one on one. You anticipate that. You work at it. And here’s the thing: As much as you’d like to avoid it, that’s what their job is. You’re an NFL offensive lineman. Your job is to block. Your job is not to catch anything, it’s not to run the ball. Your job is to block. At some point in time you’re going to have to block a really good player in this league. When you’re asked to do it, you need to do it.”

Don't hold back, Bobby, tell us what you really think.  His room "got the memo". 1 sack vs. Pittsburgh.

Daboll said it, it takes 11 guys to make that offensive play.

• Like (+1) 2

I can’t believe so many people are offended. These guys are paid to run their mouths. Last year they all smashed on Lamar and how bad he sucked in the playoffs. This year, omg Lamar is changing the game and a true generational talent. They are complete extreme one side or another. The same tv guys talking bad about Allen will love him more than anything if/when he shows up in the playoffs. We watch his games, they do not. We see some little things they do not. Nothing to get all worked up over. 
Look at some of your possible playoff quarterbacks.

Tannehill maybe

Jimmy G 

Wentz maybe 

Goff maybe 

These are all guys smashed in the media at one point or another and also loved at times as the next great thing, and all of them have shown to put up great stats at times and also fall apart. We love Allen, his leadership and toughness and ability to truly take over a game when it matters most. 
But just read the stat lines, cause that’s mostly all the tv guys do. If you’re reading strictly stats on a paper of the offense we look pretty bad. Not even top 20 in tons of categories. It’s not a shock they think Allen isn’t very good. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, kbarrettb said:

We did Allen was good that game. He had a high completion percentage and higher than normal yards throwing. Right now he’s had two weeks of crap completion percentage and under 150 yards throwing. That’s not good enough I don’t know where anyone who’s not a bills fan would say that’s good enough. 

So you consider barely 50% completion percentage and under 159 yards passing great? And a recipe for a super bowl? I don’t. Glad you do though. Keep it up. You’re clever. 

The Ravens prior to the Bills game have been decimating teams and the Steelers have one of the best defenses in the league...take into consideration the opponents geez 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, kbarrettb said:

Wonder why they didn’t pass. Hint has to do with who’s at qb. He has to be better. 

And yet, when they needed to score to win the game, what plays did they call?

I'll give you a hint: a deep throw to Brown, an end zone shot to Brown, and an end zone shot to Kroft.

Interesting, isn't it?

Isn't it also interesting that his best football comes when they need him to make plays late in games? Do you suppose there's a correlation? Vis a vis: when they don't ask him to play "don't lose" football and let him play the game to win, he plays his best football?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, thebandit27 said:

And yet, when they needed to score to win the game, what plays did they call?

I'll give you a hint: a deep throw to Brown, an end zone shot to Brown, and an end zone shot to Kroft.

Interesting, isn't it?

Isn't it also interesting that his best football comes when they need him to make plays late in games? Do you suppose there's a correlation? Vis a vis: when they don't ask him to play "don't lose" football and let him play the game to win, he plays his best football?

Context is going to elude this sharp one, but you are right, of course.

• Like (+1) 1