Does Jordan Phillips ever get 10 sacks again?

Kelly the Dog

Yes?

No?

I expect it will be 10 by season’s end. Will he ever do it again? 

I say no but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t re-sign him. We should depending on the money. He loves Buffalo. He’s going to demand more than he is worth. But we should sign him and likely release Star. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, YattaOkasan said:

We’re not releasing star. It doesn’t make sense. I think you have a good question though. I’m gonna say no but I’m not too sure. He’s been so great for us but I think he costs too much. 

My reasoning is that we re-sign both Lawson and Phillips and then could probably lose Star because Phillips and Oliver will take most snaps and  6-8-10m won’t be worth it. 

Why not? If you think it's no please explain why? The guy is really fast for his size and he's got plenty of talented players around him to draw some heat away. 

What's important is that he will continue to be disruptive, of that I have no doubt. Whether it translates to sacks? Who knows.

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

My reasoning is that we re-sign both Lawson and Phillips and then could probably lose Star because Phillips and Oliver will take most snaps and  6-8-10m won’t be worth it. 

If you think of the star dead money then it makes it that much more expensive to retain Phillips. I think they give him a good offer but he ends up leaving for someone that will break the bank. I hope they turn that into a comp pick. I would be happy to pay him stars money if he could keep it up and star didn’t cost money to cut. 

People saying we should lose Star aren't factoring in the cap side of it. He costs $10 mil next year with a dead cap hit of $7.8 mil.

I think the more likely outcome is he's here for 1 more season & in 2021 he'll get released, where his dead cap is a smaller $5.2 mil.

Thats not to say that I want him here. I haven't been a fan of that signing (or that contract) since day one. But I just dont see Beane paying that much money to get rid of him & then again to replace him.

But to the op's question. Yes i think Jordan gets to 10 again. With Oliver's development, he should be even better next year. I imagine we'll address our DE situation in the offseason as well, along with another CB to play along side Tre. If Phillips is still with us i see no reason why he shouldnt be able to replicate the success he's had this year... perhaps even surpassing it.

51 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

People saying we should lose Star aren't factoring in the cap side of it. He costs $10 mil next year with a dead cap hit of $7.8 mil.

I think the more likely outcome is he's here for 1 more season & in 2021 he'll get released, where his dead cap is a smaller $5.2 mil.

Thats not to say that I want him here. I haven't been a fan of that signing (or that contract) since day one. But I just dont see Beane paying that much money to get rid of him & then again to replace him.

But to the op's question. Yes i think Jordan gets to 10 again. With Oliver's development, he should be even better next year. I imagine we'll address our DE situation in the offseason as well, along with another CB to play along side Tre. If Phillips is still with us i see no reason why he shouldnt be able to replicate the success he's had this year... perhaps even surpassing it.

Dead cap isn’t going to matter at all to the Bills next year. The savings on Star’s salary to be able to retain Shaq and Phillips on that line would be worth it. And I think Star is better than most give him credit for. We have 80-90m to spend. We aren’t going to. Dead money from Star is immaterial. 

35 minutes ago, njbuff said:

He doesn't have to get 10+ sacks any more, he just needs to be a terror inside...............

that's if the Bills re-sign him.

Yep. His sack totals are crazy for a DT outside of Donald. Usually there are 1-2 DTs at most that get 10 sacks. 

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yes?

No?

I say no but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t re-sign him. We should depending on the money. He loves Buffalo. He’s going to demand more than he is worth. But we should sign him and likely release Star. 

I say No.  This is his peak career year.  He will still be productive but not 10 sack production as a DT.  Props to him for a great season and high motivation when it counts for his upcoming payday!  Hope we keep him!

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yes?

No?

Releasing Star makes no sense. First we don't have anyone else at that position, second they've made it clear that he's doing what they want and third it would save us virtually nothing against the cap. Actually, the cap would go slightly up, not down.

Will Phillips get 10 ever again? My guess would be yeah. He times snaps pretty well and sometimes seems to get between guys before they have moved though he stays onside. I wouldn't expect him to do that every year but once or twice more would be a reasonable guess, I think.

I'd love it if they re-sign him. Not sure they'll be able to do it. They should try.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yes?

No?

Star and Phillips play two completely different roles on the LOS. It's like comparing an edge rush OLB sack numbers to a MLB.

Star is a lineman eating DT that allows other players like Phillips, Edmunds, Milano to perform their playmaking roles. Star will not show up on the stat sheet, but if the unit is playing well and guys like Edmunds are moving freely in space and Phillips is undressing single blockers and can't be double teamed -- then Star is doing his job.

• Like (+1) 1